U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 11:21 AM

548 posts, read 1,835,631 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
Okay, after reading your suggestions and also doing some on-line research, this is the itinerary I came up with. Let me know what you think...

MORNING

Stop at Independence Hall Visitor's Center EARLY and get tickets for Independence Hall and Liberty Bell

Independence Hall
Liberty Bell
Congress Hall
Franklin Court

Hop on the El heading West...get off at 11th & Market
LUNCH AT READING TERMINAL MARKET

Hop back on the El heading East. Get off at 2nd Street

AFTERNOON

Christ's Church
Christ's Church Burial Ground
Elfreth's Alley
Betsy Ross House

Most of these sites are free or VERY cheap, so I don't think we'll splurge on the city pass this time.

I like the idea of City Tavern, but we're on something of a budget and I know it's a bit pricey. I think the Reading Market should be an interesting Philadelphia dining experience.
Sounds like a solid itinerary. Elfreth's Alley is neat, and lunch (or at least a trip to) Reading Terminal is a must.

We always skip the Betsy Ross House tour (it's not the 'real' Betsy Ross house, it's a re-creation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 11:26 AM

980 posts, read 2,478,077 times
Quote:
Sounds like a solid itinerary. Elfreth's Alley is neat, and lunch (or at least a trip to) Reading Terminal is a must.

We always skip the Betsy Ross House tour (it's not the 'real' Betsy Ross house, it's a re-creation.
What happened to the "real" Betsy house? Did it burn down? I'll have to research into this more.

Yes, I just LOVE Elfreth's Alley. What a cool street...it's like stepping out of a time machine and going back into history.

Old 07-31-2009, 11:30 AM

548 posts, read 1,835,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassygirl18 View Post
What happened to the "real" Betsy house? Did it burn down? I'll have to research into this more.

Yes, I just LOVE Elfreth's Alley. What a cool street...it's like stepping out of a time machine and going back into history.
not sure what happened to her "real" house -- this house is a re-creation based on pictures and stuff.

depending on your guests, they might enjoy the Eastern State Pen. I took a friend there and 1) it's not scary 2) it's pretty interesting to learn the history.

Old 07-31-2009, 12:40 PM

27,270 posts, read 25,874,276 times
The Betsy Ross House site is an old house built in the 1700's. I took the tour a few years ago and asked the docent if it was the real deal. She told me that some historians think that Betsy Ross home was a couple of doors down, long ago razed. Betsy Ross House on Flickr - Photo Sharing! (http://www.flickr.com/photos/8430189@N06/3437133375/ - broken link)

The Constitutional Walking Tour of Philadelphia
This has a printable map, though you can probably get some at the Visitor's Center.

Phlash :: gophila.com - The Official Visitor Site for Greater Philadelphia It's a cheap hop on/hop off.

Old 08-01-2009, 04:40 AM

Thank you!!!

Old 08-01-2009, 09:19 PM

27,270 posts, read 25,874,276 times
When everything is over and done, let us know how it went. What did they enjoy; what were the favorites? What didn't go over very well - not great, too crowded?

Old 08-02-2009, 03:27 AM

Will do.

Old 08-04-2009, 01:50 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,391,442 times
For future reference in case you already went, if you want to trek back again, here's some more suggestions if you're going for a history buff tour:

There's some space within walking distance from Elfreth's Alley with what was a fancy toilet for Ben Franklin at the time.
I would also suggest visiting a few historic houses (Fairmount Park Houses), Laurel Hill Cemetery, and pick some non-mainstream museums if you want to get a rich sense of history.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:48 AM

Thanks, Chessimprov.

Old 08-04-2009, 09:56 AM

418 posts, read 1,220,036 times
Quite an itinerary
Plan to show them some history or kill them with a cultural marathon.
You will need to move to fast to get anything out of the trip other than blisters.
If it is in August the heat will be difficult.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia