U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 04:50 AM

980 posts, read 2,478,288 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,

We have family coming in from the midwest - my husband's sister and her 2 teenaged daughters. They're staying for 3 days and one of those days we are planning to take them into Phila. to see the historical sites.

Although I've lived in the Phila. area my whole life, I've only been to the historical sites (probably) once.

We're taking them on a Saturday.

Do you have any tips for me concerning visiting the sites? For example what order to see them in, tips concerning lines, etc.? Which sites to see? I'm thinking we should see all the big ones...Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross House.....what else?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 05:47 AM

2,189 posts, read 6,854,753 times
Franklin Court is a good one - it's around 3rd and Market.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:09 AM

548 posts, read 1,835,746 times
I have out-of-towners come in all the time, so I have it all down pat.

My biggest advice is GO EARLY. When you get to the information center early to pick up tickets to Independence Hall, you get a good "tour time" and there is no wait. Same with the Liberty Bell. I've been there at 10:30am and there's zero line. I've been there at 2:00pm and there's an hour wait.

Old 07-31-2009, 06:39 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,769,949 times
take them to eat at the city tavern. all of the staff is dressed up like pilgrims and they will give you a history shpeil when bringing you your food. kind of corny but tourists usually enjoy it. {used to work there}

Old 07-31-2009, 06:55 AM

349 posts, read 896,695 times
It's a good idea to reserve your Independence Hall tour tickets in advance online. There's a modest service charge for the free tickets (About $1.50 I think) and it can be done on the National Park Service website. That way you know when your tour will be and you can plan your other tours around it.

Elfreth's Alley, Christ Church, Ben Franklin's grave are other possibilities. A walk through Society Hill is nice in good weather.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:15 AM

33 posts, read 99,216 times
I've heard that you can catch a shuttle from the Consitution Center that will take you to the Jersey waterfront. (They may enjoy the aquarium and Battle Ship New Jersey?)

You can also download this self-guided walking tour of Rittenhouse....

Preservation Alliance for Greater Philadelphia

Old 07-31-2009, 08:28 AM

2,913 posts, read 4,727,940 times
Pick up a copy of today's Inquirer. The Weekend section's cover story is about free and low-cost things to do in the city. Includes info about Independence Hall, the Liberty Bell, Betsy Ross House, Christ Church and Elfreth's Alley.

Old 07-31-2009, 08:57 AM

Thanks! You guys rock.

Old 07-31-2009, 09:52 AM

5,969 posts, read 7,998,938 times
I recommend you getting the Philadelphia City Pass. It will give you access to all the tours and attractions and will pay for its self.

Philadelphia Pass - Easy Sightseeing Philadelphia Attractions - Philadelphia Pass

Old 07-31-2009, 10:42 AM

Okay, after reading your suggestions and also doing some on-line research, this is the itinerary I came up with. Let me know what you think...

MORNING

Stop at Independence Hall Visitor's Center EARLY and get tickets for Independence Hall and Liberty Bell

Independence Hall
Liberty Bell
Congress Hall
Franklin Court

Hop on the El heading West...get off at 11th & Market
LUNCH AT READING TERMINAL MARKET

Hop back on the El heading East. Get off at 2nd Street

AFTERNOON

Christ's Church
Christ's Church Burial Ground
Elfreth's Alley
Betsy Ross House

Most of these sites are free or VERY cheap, so I don't think we'll splurge on the city pass this time.

I like the idea of City Tavern, but we're on something of a budget and I know it's a bit pricey. I think the Reading Market should be an interesting Philadelphia dining experience.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia