U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2009, 09:04 PM

2 posts, read 9,298 times

Advertisements

I anticipate moving to Philadelphia next summer and will have 2 children in grade school. They will both be elementary age at that time. Since this is the current arrangement here, I would like to minimize the change and keep them in parochial school after the move. I've seen the Philadelphia archdiocese website, but it really isn't terribly helpful (as expected) when it comes to deciding what the best schools are.

I will be working in Center City, so we will need to live close enough to the city for my commute to be reasonable (preferably <30 minutes). My wife can drive them to school, though, so they could conceivably go 20-30 minutes the other way. Tuition expenditures will need to be limited - Norwood-Fontbonne would be great, but 9-10K/year will be too much barring significant financial aid.

I would like a school with the typical strong academics, but additions like a gifted program and foreign language would definitiely be a plus.

Suggestions?

Last edited by Gooch13; 08-03-2009 at 09:05 PM.. Reason: grammar
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 AM

1,505 posts, read 1,389,936 times
I don't know much about it, but St. Bridget's in East Falls might be worth considering. Attend a Catholic church mass and ask around for opinions.

Old 08-04-2009, 03:57 PM

418 posts, read 1,219,754 times
I believe this school still operates.

St Laurentius
1608 BerksSt
215 739 1776

It is located in an area called Fishtown .. very close to Northern Liberties
It is near the "El" .. a train that gets you into center city in minutes.
The areas are very urban .. some spots are still a little sketchy but most of the area is very family friendly .. It is the area where artist have been moving into.
A kind of post industrial look in the middle of homes .. some built in the 1700's.
Others so modern as to be green examples of urban building .. world wide.

It is not for everyone .. but the Mr Softee truck comes daily as do Jack & Jill.
There are still small stores on the corners.
Parking can be tight .. but if you need a car .. one might be enough .. that can be a savings.
There are car share pods throughout the area.
Many museums, theatre and the zoo are fairly close
Some great restaurants are around and some world renown chef's cook in center city.
You can take taxi's and forgo driving and parking, for about the same money.
A drive to the airport is about 15 minutes.

Good luck .. I hope you move is a good one.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:02 PM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Most Catholic elementary schools enroll students who reside within the parish boundaries. You can send your children to another parish school, if you don't live within the parish, but you will pay more in tuition.
Depending on where you end up living, there will be a nearby parish to attend. Most have schools, but not all. Some parishes have had to close schools because the enrollments have dropped.

Old 08-10-2009, 12:08 PM

3,299 posts, read 10,753,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gooch13 View Post
Tuition expenditures will need to be limited - Norwood-Fontbonne would be great, but 9-10K/year will be too much barring significant financial aid.
NFA Class of '99! But anyway, I had a friend there whose family had the same problem. They ended up sending all 3 to St. Phillip Neri which they fairly enjoyed (my friend was always mad about leaving NFA, but beyond that her elementary experience was fine). It's not far from Chestnut Hill, so if you like that area it's a decent option.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:37 AM

3 posts, read 12,834 times
I would highly recommend St Andrew in Newtown....I'm not sure where you are moving from, but having less than a 30 minute commute during rush hour in philly can place you in some nasty areas, or at the very least no place I would trust raising my children safely. If you take the train from yardley or newtown it's about 40 minutes and probably about 45 to 50 if you drive and traffic is bad. All three of my kids go to ST Andrew and are doing quite well. The school is located within Council Rock School District which touts itself as being exceptional, and yet St. Andrew has almost 1000 students pre k - 8. Many of the kids go on to Holy Gost Prep, St Joes Prep and Villa Joseph Marie. Outstanding fundraising and a very large and generous parrish keep St Andrew looking better than almost any school I've ever been in , public or private. Every classroom has at least one new pc, every class has the latest "smart" white boards that interact with pc's. A huge computer lab, music program, and an unmatched cyo athletic program that boasts one of the top basketball teams in the state, as well as a great baseball team, football, and massive soccer program. The classes tend to be large, but with very few of the discipline problems you see in public schools or schools in philly, the teachers can still be very effective. The only downside is affording to live in newtown...single family homes (2000 sq ft) start in the high 300k and then easily reach into the millions. there are condo's and apts though that are less expensive and still pretty nice. Best of all, because of tough townships, the area still feels small town (other than traffic). If that's out of your price range, I think bensalem and levittown both have a few catholic schools. Not nearly as nice an area, but still much better than the philly city limits. Of course you could look in Montgomery county and the main line too...I'm not familiar with those areas though.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 12,834 times
just to add....for 3 kids I think tuition this year was 7800...everyone at st andrew is also bused....council rock, neshaminy, central bucks, pennsbury, and solebury all provide busing. They also have a foreign language program. Best part of Newtown, the kids run out the door and you dont worry about them until they come back in 4 hours later.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or