U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 03:26 PM

35 posts, read 74,022 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My wife and I (33 & 37 respectively) are from Michigan and are looking for a new place to live in the next 18 months. So this is early research. We've moved out-of-state, and back, before. So we're pretty familiar with what we're getting ourselves into. Unlike some other places we're exploring, we don't have relatives in the area - though we do have friends in Philadelphia and I spent 2 weeks in West Chester quite a few years ago. She works in health care (dietitian) and I have a Master's degree and work in higher ed. We have a small side business we're hoping to grow into full time, eventually, but it's not location-dependent. We're both liberal (her more so than I; I'm a little more libertarian).

We like to have walkable areas and a "real" downtown. We have a baby on the way, so ultimately it has to be family friendly and have decent schools. We probably prefer not to live (or even have to work) right in the centre city, but would like to be close enough for major-metro type job opportunities and entertainment.

I know that the Philadelphia area can be a little pricey, and while we're currently living in a more expensive area of Michigan where the median family income is $82,500 (thus used to the costs), we would like to keep things as reasonably priced as possible. What I mean is, we don't even like big houses or a ritzy lifestyle; but we do like pleasant, educated neighbours in a safe place with decent schools and it'd be nice to have a cafe' or two to hang out at. We'd rather put our money into our business and maintaining a lower-stress life. Early research suggests Jenkintown, Abington, or the communities of Haverford Twp might be good options. There have to be some decent middle class areas that fit the bill. You think?

BTW, I also LOVE cheesesteaks, enjoy Yuengling, and I'm a Phillies fan.... so I figure I'm halfway there...

Any suggestions? Thoughts?
Thank you for any ideas or information.
- Brandon
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:58 AM

766 posts, read 1,663,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Torcastle View Post
Hello everyone,
My wife and I (33 & 37 respectively) are from Michigan and are looking for a new place to live in the next 18 months. So this is early research. We've moved out-of-state, and back, before. So we're pretty familiar with what we're getting ourselves into. Unlike some other places we're exploring, we don't have relatives in the area - though we do have friends in Philadelphia and I spent 2 weeks in West Chester quite a few years ago. She works in health care (dietitian) and I have a Master's degree and work in higher ed. We have a small side business we're hoping to grow into full time, eventually, but it's not location-dependent. We're both liberal (her more so than I; I'm a little more libertarian).

We like to have walkable areas and a "real" downtown. We have a baby on the way, so ultimately it has to be family friendly and have decent schools. We probably prefer not to live (or even have to work) right in the centre city, but would like to be close enough for major-metro type job opportunities and entertainment.

I know that the Philadelphia area can be a little pricey, and while we're currently living in a more expensive area of Michigan where the median family income is $82,500 (thus used to the costs), we would like to keep things as reasonably priced as possible. What I mean is, we don't even like big houses or a ritzy lifestyle; but we do like pleasant, educated neighbours in a safe place with decent schools and it'd be nice to have a cafe' or two to hang out at. We'd rather put our money into our business and maintaining a lower-stress life. Early research suggests Jenkintown, Abington, or the communities of Haverford Twp might be good options. There have to be some decent middle class areas that fit the bill. You think?

BTW, I also LOVE cheesesteaks, enjoy Yuengling, and I'm a Phillies fan.... so I figure I'm halfway there...

Any suggestions? Thoughts?
Thank you for any ideas or information.
- Brandon
Jenkintown and Abington are great areas. In fact you might want to live nearby the Willow Grove mall which is one of the largest shopping malls in the entire Philly region. The neighborhoods that are right around the mall are basically Abington township, Upper Moreland township, and Upper Dublin township. These three townships are great for you. They are nice and safe middle-class neighborhoods with lots of beautiful green trees. You can have your quietness under the shade of the trees, while still being nearby a bustling shopping mall and major streets.

The great thing about this area is the location itself really. You live nearby a large shopping district with many retail stores and restaurants. You only have to drive 5-10 minutes to get whatever you want really. Also there is a metro train station that bypasses this area which can give you easy access to downtown Philadelphia as well as the airport. The schools are in good shape, clean, and provide plenty of opportunities (both the public and private ones).

You also might want to check out the Main Line suburbs of Philadelphia too (Upper Darby, Radnor, Villanova and the area). It is where the richest and wealthiest people in the region tend to live and it is pretty expensive.

Old 08-07-2009, 06:43 AM

1,637 posts, read 3,647,164 times
You also might try the University area of Philadelphia.
But make sure you talk to a lot of natives before buying in there.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:08 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
there is no "downtown" abington, though there is one in jenkintown. glenside, mt, airy, wayne, ardmore, west chester, phoenixville, and media are also worth a look.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:42 PM

35 posts, read 74,022 times
A stroll through Ardmore and Media on Google Street View looks a lot like what we're looking for. How are the prices and the schools in those areas? I loved West Chester when I was there (and saw some of the suburbs, but never got into Philly, proper) but I got the feeling it was pretty expensive. Phoenixville looks pretty decent too, and perhaps a little less expensive? I just want to understand what kind of options are there. Our friends moved to Mt. Airy and like it there. We hope to visit them and explore the area in the next few months.

Old 08-08-2009, 07:37 AM

2,783 posts, read 6,520,483 times
Wayne, Media.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:55 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Ardmore and Media are what you are looking for. It just depends on how much you want to spend. Those areas probably start at $250,000-ish for twin homes (an attached home - but not a rowhome). Singles will be a good bit more.
Both areas have excellent schools and are convenient to downtown Phila.

Old 08-11-2009, 06:06 AM

596 posts, read 1,547,637 times
Welcome!

Based on your criteria, I would recommend checking out Narberth. It's close to the city and has a great charm about it. You can walk to the train station and catch the SEPTA R5 which takes about 20 minutes to reach downtown Philadelphia. The town is very walkable (it's only a square half-mile), and has a cute downtown with shops/services and a grocery store you can walk to on Montgomery Avenue. There's also a Whole Foods Market on Lancaster Avenue and a ton of other services along there as well. The town is very safe and has a great know-your-neighbors/small-town quality about it. The town is in the Lower Merion School District which is probably the best in the metro area.

Narberth Borough Fast Facts
Charming Stucco Home (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/reb/1311092315.html - broken link)
Just Listed!! Narberth Twin (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/reb/1273424378.html - broken link)
Fabulous Home In Narberth (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/reb/1295837172.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or