U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-06-2009, 08:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,030 times

Advertisements

We may have a possible move to Philly in the next month. Not having ever visited I am completely unaware of the neighborhoods. I realize I need to look around before buying but where to rent in the first place is my problem. We have 2 small children (2 and 4 yrs.). Being from NJ (outside NYC) and my husband from Buffalo, NY we would like to be in the city, not the suburbs. We like walking to parks and getting our morning coffee and paper. Cafes, art galleries little local shops are what we were used to up North before we moved to the South and the wide stretch of suburbs we have been stuck in. And would love to get our hands on a commercial building if possible for rehab to live in. Looking for something under the 250k mark. Any suggestions? Also we need a good school district unless charter schools are a good option and easy to get into. Private is probably out of the question for right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2009, 12:34 AM

766 posts, read 1,663,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepperbirdy View Post
We may have a possible move to Philly in the next month. Not having ever visited I am completely unaware of the neighborhoods. I realize I need to look around before buying but where to rent in the first place is my problem. We have 2 small children (2 and 4 yrs.). Being from NJ (outside NYC) and my husband from Buffalo, NY we would like to be in the city, not the suburbs. We like walking to parks and getting our morning coffee and paper. Cafes, art galleries little local shops are what we were used to up North before we moved to the South and the wide stretch of suburbs we have been stuck in. And would love to get our hands on a commercial building if possible for rehab to live in. Looking for something under the 250k mark. Any suggestions? Also we need a good school district unless charter schools are a good option and easy to get into. Private is probably out of the question for right now.
Well there is Northeast Philadelphia, specifically the area around the Northeast Philadelphia Airport. It is a nice middle-class neighborhood, however, its more suburban than urban. You want a nice urban neighborhood, try some nicer areas around South Philly. It is close to downtown and can offer you a nice urban experience without the high price living of downtown. As far as schools are concerned, well Philly Public School isn't such a great district but there are some good specialized schools in the area.

Old 08-07-2009, 02:20 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,483,472 times
try looking at the sadie alexander cachement in west philly. there are a number of charter schools and magnets that are worth looking into as well... I think they are a lottery so you may want to have a backup up plan just in case. also worth looking into, northern liberties, fitler square, mt. airy/chestnut hill (further from downtown), fairmount, and south philly (including queen village, bella vista, passyunk square)

Old 08-07-2009, 03:00 PM

101 posts, read 353,348 times
i don't think you are getting into the alexander school area under 250k.

maybe fairmount, between fairmount ave. and girard ave? the bache-martin school is pretty nice and you may be able to find a nice place (although probably small) in your price range.

east falls is also a nice urban area with a main st. type area around ridge ave. and midvale ave. not sure what the school situation is in the neighborhood.

south philly would definitely work for your housing situation, but the schools are a crapshoot.

mt. airy is a little further out from center city but has most of what you are looking for. check out the area around the Henry school.

Old 08-08-2009, 05:36 AM

212 posts, read 547,508 times
For your price range, Colllingswood NJ might be worth checking out. It's a very walkable town, frequent (subway frequency not commuter train frequency) and fast (15 min) train service to Center City Philadelphia. Lots of parks, restaurants, little shops. Schools are decent - elementary schools are all neighborhood schools so everyone can walk to them. There is definitely housing stock in your budget. Check out Collingswood, New Jersey | Collingswood, New Jersey to find more about the town.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:58 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,392,026 times
Roxborough with Cooke Elementary would work too. I don't know what's good and bad for the 8th grade and high school in that area as Cooke is K-7.

Old 08-12-2009, 01:04 AM

8 posts, read 16,629 times
Here are a few nice places within Philly city limits:

~ Wynnfield (reasonably priced)
~ The Far Northeast (reasonably priced)
~ East Falls (somewhat pricey)
~ Chestnut Hill (a little pricey)
~ Center City ( nice, but real pricey)
~ Roxborough (a little pricey)
~ East Oak Lane

Old 08-12-2009, 05:47 PM

1,509 posts, read 1,392,026 times
Wynnefield's schools are okay. Gompers tends to get more support than Mann I think. Mifflin in East Falls could be a great school, but there are so many obstacles and factors affecting them internally and externally. They are certainly not the worst by any means nor among the best for a student. For a staffer, I have a preference for Mifflin, but it really goes by best fit in philosophies and environment.

I don't know how most of the charter schools are. Mastery Charter is a pretty new school with a strict rewarding system and I think it's great. There are some good students, and then many who fool around too much and a couple of potentially bad apples. In some cases, they took over schools that were in total decline and have made great strides. They have at least 4 campuses- West Philly by Lancaster Ave., downtown, Pickett, the other one I don't remember you can look up.

I would avoid Pettech personally if you're looking at schools in the center city area and are around long enough. They cater to 5-12 I think. just imo.

Roxborough's Cooke is a wonderful school. Just got an award this year for academic excellence. A group of parents are flocking to Cooke because of its diversity, recent success, and understanding staff. I think Roxborough High is decent, but I am not sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia