U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 06:27 PM

25 posts, read 125,757 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by otters21 View Post
You are completely on the mark except for( Northeast Philly) Fishtown which is now a trendy area with many professionals and I would replace that particular neighborhood with Oxford Circle/ Summerdale on your list of no go areas.
okay, I seen Oxford Circle been getting press. I used to hear about Fishtown back in the day, was just as bad as Kensington...
...anyway, almost forgot, Kingsessing and Paschall in southwest, Cobbs Creek in west, did I get Southwark in south...the Temple U. area, Hartnraft, Brewerytown [going thru gentrified changes tho'] in north...Logan in upper north, maybe just maybe Olney...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:35 PM

7,780 posts, read 18,927,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slickvic277 View Post
I agree with everything you said.Being born and raised in Philly with lots of friends and family here I never thought of leaving the city.But there are times when I truly hate it here.Rude and ignorant people,horrible drivers,filthy houses on other wise clean blocks,terrible public service's,drugs,violence and on and on and on.
I'm usually filled with philly pride and am a huge homer but sometimes I really do get disgusted.
If I here the word "gentrification" one more time I'll puke.
Maybe when I feel better I 'll post the things that I love here.
I was like you Vic. Now, I moved to a pleasant area and are very happy and wondered why we did not do it earlier. Life is short, no reason to feel that way with your neighborhood. You can always drive a few minutes back to the city to see your friends/family and then drive home to happiness. Life is short buddy.. No reason to be disgusted

Old 04-09-2011, 08:36 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,561,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christ O View Post
all I know is...west philly [carol park, belmont, wynnefield, overbrook, mantua, etc.], north philly [east poplar, west poplar, fairhill, strawberry mansion, hunting park, nicetown, west kensington, allegheny, etc.], northeast philly [kensington, frankford, fishtown], south philly [point breeze, hawthorne, southwest center city, king village/grays ferry, etc.], southwest [southwest schuylkill, bartrum village, etc.], northwest [germantown, west oaklane, etc.]...bodies for decades, haunted, cold-cased up...
http://daily.likeme.net/lm/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/nightmare-on-elm.jpg (broken link)

Old 04-10-2011, 12:23 PM

25 posts, read 125,757 times
..yeh, horror..
...yeah, also Mt. Airy [northwest]..looks nice out there though, with the houses and grass and trees and such, but gotta' be cautious everywhere u go..

Old 08-05-2012, 11:38 AM

1,014 posts, read 3,188,163 times
Quote:
No. 5 is not in Girard Estates, that is Point Breeze. GR is much further to the south and that is pretty much a desirable area and still relatively safe. As far as No. 7 is concerned that is not Fairhill. It is North Kensington/Harrowgate - Fairhill begins at Front St. to the west. However, I do agree that it is a pretty bad corner. No. 9 also seems to be off as well , that is Southwark ( where the three hi-rise project buildings with the same name used to stand). Pennsport is east of 4th St. and south of Washington Ave. I lived in the Pennsport area from 1983 to 1992 in the 300 block of Dickinson St.
Also I want to add that #10 is in Nicetown not Tioga( Erie Ave. is the dividing line and that corner is about 7 to blocks north -however both areas are pretty bad) and # 4 is in Francisville not Poplar ( Broad St. in the dividing line between the two neighborhoods and Poplar is east of Broad).

Old 08-05-2012, 01:19 PM

1,685 posts, read 2,132,679 times
The worst street in Philly is the one where you find yourself in the wrong place at the wrong time, all alone against someone with some very bad intentions!

Old 12-09-2013, 09:36 PM

1 posts, read 2,741 times
shiiidd yous must of heard of 19th somerset. dark dead end , bunch of guys everywhere, drugs,violence etc. etc.

Old 12-10-2013, 04:35 AM

2,856 posts, read 2,068,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
well, you can start here

Top 10 Drug Corners | Cover Story | News and Opinion | Philadelphia Weekly

i know the article is 2 yrs old, but i don't think these streets have changed much

10) 1600-1900 W. Wingohocking St., Tioga.
9) Fifth and Carpenter sts., Pennsport. (even 5th & Christian is bad)
8) 52nd and Market sts., West Philadelphia.
7) A and Westmoreland sts., Fairhill.
6) Bridge and Hawthorne sts., Frankford.
5) "The Box": 21st and McKean sts. to 23rd and McKean sts., north to 21st and Sigel sts. through 23rd and Sigel sts., Girard Estates.
4) 17th and Jefferson sts., Poplar.
3) Fifth and Westmoreland sts., Fairhill.
2) Third and Indiana sts., Fairhill.
1) Kensington and Somerset sts., Kensington.
There are completely renovated and freshly built homes right across the street from that project. I always wonder why would someone buy one?

Old 11-27-2017, 08:18 AM

1 posts, read 1,103 times
5th and Indiana should be on the list.

Old 11-27-2017, 07:44 PM

59 posts, read 33,683 times
Quote:
Also I want to add that #10 is in Nicetown not Tioga( Erie Ave. is the dividing line and that corner is about 7 to blocks north -however both areas are pretty bad) and # 4 is in Francisville not Poplar ( Broad St. in the dividing line between the two neighborhoods and Poplar is east of Broad).
#4 17th and Jefferson isn’t this Cecil B Moore and not Francisville? I thought Francisville was bounded by Girard to the N, Corinthian to W, Broad to E, and Fairmount to S?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or