U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 09:10 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times

Advertisements

Once you get above Northern Liberties/Fishtown, there isn't much in the way of socially active neighborhoods between Center City and where you'll be working. One might also say that many of these same neighborhoods aren't the most hospitable, either.

I agree that Jenkintown/Elkins Park/Melrose Park/Glenside in the "V" section just above Philly might be ideal for you, assuming there is no flexiblity on your 20-minute commute. This area is generally laid-back and you'll probably meet a lot of "lifers" who are content with living a semi-dense suburban area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2009, 12:37 AM

24 posts, read 29,564 times
Would it feasible to live in Center City and commute by public transportation to Cottman and Bustleton (northeast philly)?

Old 08-14-2009, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusmaria View Post
Would it feasible to live in Center City and commute by public transportation to Cottman and Bustleton (northeast philly)?
It's possible but not all that convenient.

At least if you chose to drive to work, you would be going against traffic.

Old 08-14-2009, 11:44 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Quote:
Sure, you can take the Frankford El (stops at 15th, 13th, 11, 8th, 5th and 2nd on Market to the last stop Bridge and Pratt. Then you would take 58 bus. The trip is about 35 minutes.

I did a Plan My Trip profile for you leaving from 5th and Market. Here it is.

Trip Planner

Here is the schedule for the 58 bus.

http://www.septa.org/service/sched/058_wk.html

Old 08-15-2009, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Sure, you can take the Frankford El (stops at 15th, 13th, 11, 8th, 5th and 2nd on Market to the last stop Bridge and Pratt. Then you would take 58 bus. The trip is about 35 minutes.

Trip Planner

SEPTA
Thanks newmarlig; that really helps. I guess Center City east would be the area I should try and live around then--In that case I would have the alternative of driving on the 95 to cottman and bustleton if that would get me there faster than 35 mins

Old 08-17-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post

Trip Planner

SEPTA
I stand corrected. Thanks for taking the time to look that up!

Old 08-17-2009, 01:43 PM

I am wondering how punctual the bus system is in Philly? any ideas? as I am most likely going to be taking the 58 from the Frankford transp center stop

Old 08-17-2009, 02:18 PM

Quote:
I am wondering how punctual the bus system is in Philly? any ideas? as I am most likely going to be taking the 58 from the Frankford transp center stop
I think that's a fairly reliable bus as a lot of people take it.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I stand corrected. Thanks for taking the time to look that up!
I live to serve.

Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 AM

29 posts, read 126,369 times
The rents might be a lot higher in Center City. For $1,400 you might not get much. You're car insurance would be about 1/2 or less in Jenkintown or an area near there. Parking in Northern Liberties. Old City, Bella Vista, Queen Village, and Center City is really difficult. Whenever I have to park in these areas I dread it because I drive around forever looking for a spot and then usually have to walk at least 1/2 a mile sometimes. It is something to consider when you come home with a car load of groceries in the rain. If you own a nice car you might want to consider an area where people look out for you. This past week I have had my car broken into twice and it is 10 years old. For the most part the Philadelphia police are not going to help with car issues. I do own a nice car and it has pretty much gotten ruined in the city. I am pretty young and I would choose Chestnut Hill or Jenkintown if I did not already own a house in the city. There is plenty to do in both these areas. A good thing to do might be to walk around and ask a few people how they enjoy living there if you have the chance to. Sometimes it is more helpful because people on blogs tend to be very biased toward where they live or grew up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or