U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2009, 11:59 AM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by venusmaria View Post
Thanks Phlydude. this definitely gives me more to work with.
also bear in mind that snyder is a crosstown route (79) which means you can live off East Passyunk either close to snyder or washington. that area, now commonly referred to as "Passyunk Sq" is a formerly Italian American area that has become popular wth hipsters and yuppies. "the avenue" as it's called, has been undergoing some rapid change with vacant storefrtons being filled with "gastropubs' and gelatarias (ok, only one of those last ones). nice place. If you decide to forego buying a car (as I noticed you said youw ere going to buy one), that area is not only convenient to bus routes to your work, but the subway to center city and the sports complex (for games and concerts). Philly is also pretty easy to bike around since it's so flat in the central area. Philly is also served by phillycarshare.org and zipcar.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2009, 12:21 PM

324 posts, read 1,126,052 times
I would suggest that if you don't own a car, try to get by without one and use Phillycarshare or ZipCar first - the convenience of having a car when you want it without the cost and insurance concerns

Old 08-20-2009, 12:35 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venusmaria View Post
So if i were to live in QV approx how long would it take me by bus to 1851 S CC blvd. I'm trying to decide wether it would make a significant difference between living in QV vs. Pennsport vs. Center City. Because it seems like the further one goes south of Center City, the quieter (ie shadier?) the streets get and being a single female who would be walking home alone everyday, I'm trying to be around as lively a place as I can help.
i have no clue re: the bus routes or stops (i work in jersey). sorry. but i can't imagine that its more than a matter of minutes from the old city or society hill stops to the qv stop. i do know that pennsport is further south and a little quieter (i.e shadier). but there are still a lot of young professionals living there. and pman is right about psquare too. but you may want to walk around these hoods to get a feel.

looks like pman or phly may know where the exact bus stops are.

Old 08-20-2009, 01:32 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Passyunk Square would be a good choice. The 79 bus ride would take about 10 mintues. I agree you don't need a car.

Passyunk Square is bounded by Broad Street to the west, 6th Street to the east, Tasker Street to the south and Washington Avenue to the north. I suggest you look as close to Tasker as possible, since that is closer to Snyder Avenue for the bus.

Old 08-20-2009, 02:27 PM

and the buses pretty much stop on every large cross street intersection - if there isn't a stop on the block where you live, there will be one within 2-3 blocks (and our blocks are relatively short compared to other cities)

Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 PM

24 posts, read 29,564 times
thanks guys. So now I know that the crosstown 79 would be the bus to take if I live in Passyunk or Pennsport (passyunk preferred).
Is there a similar bus that runs north-south from the old city/societyhill/q village area (if i were to live around there) that would take me down to pier 70/cc blvd.? Or even if I could transfer on to the 79 on snyder from another bus going down lets say 2nd street or something like that.
I've been trying to look up bus routes in Philly on the web to try and locate areas around bus stops. Not much luck- i keep getting the SEPTA pages. Anyone know of any links, pl let me know. regardless, thanks again

Old 08-21-2009, 02:08 PM

You keep getting the SEPTA pages because SEPTA (South Eastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority) is the Philly bus system.

Here is the map of the 79 route with the connecting bus lines that intersect it and which streets they serve. http://www.septa.org/service/sched/maps/079.pdf
In Philly we have numbered streets that run N-S and start at Front (not 1st - generally within a few blocks of Columbus Blvd) and work to the West all the way out until you exit the city. Generally, odd numbers run north and even run south (except for 2 way streets). We do not have a 14th St. - this is taken by Broad St (PA 611)
We only have numbered avenues in the northern part of the city (no where near where you would be going).

Old 08-21-2009, 03:14 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
You can take the 57 bus which runs south on 4th Street and North on 3rd Street and then transfer to (or from) the 79 on Snyder Avenue.

http://www.septa.org/service/sched/057_wk.html

http://www.septa.org/service/sched/079_wk.html

Last edited by newmarlig; 08-21-2009 at 04:42 PM..

Old 08-22-2009, 05:25 AM

24 posts, read 29,564 times
Newmarlig and Phlydude thankyou both. The info/links are very helpful in planning my trip.

Old 08-22-2009, 01:59 PM

10,026 posts, read 14,474,108 times
From Society Hill I'd probably jsut walk over to Del ave and catch the 25
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or