U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2009, 11:40 PM

24 posts, read 29,564 times

Advertisements

I just got a job thats located at Cottman and Bustleton in Philly and will be moving. I'm currently looking for apartments to rent. Have never been to that area and have no idea how far places are from each other. I'm anxious because I've heard that most areas in Philly are not safe to live in. I do not have a problem with finances and I'm willing to pay upto $ 1400 for rent so long as it is relatively safe and has access to decent parking. I plan on getting a car and driving to my workplace as it seems like a suburban type setting. I do not want to have to drive longer than 20 mins to work everyday. But I have no concept of how far Chestnut hill or Society Hill or Northern Liberties is from Cottman & Bustleton. Also I've been reading conflicting reports abt Northern Liberties so not sure if even that is a feasible option for me. Would appreciate any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 12:18 AM

1,506 posts, read 1,390,380 times
NL itself is pretty safe, but is not worth what you pay for it unless you have to have the location next to downtown. It borders significantly seedier sections of the city just to its north past Girard. Also, the commute may be >20 normally considering traffic. I'd suggest Cheltenham, right around where you will be working, or NE Philadelphia toward the airport from where you have to work is your best bet. Society Hill and Chestnut Hill are real nice, but could easily double your commute time from 20 minutes on way. Maybe Riverton on the NJ side is worth considering.

Old 08-10-2009, 07:06 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
for $1400, you should rent in old city

Old 08-10-2009, 11:41 AM

271 posts, read 1,306,275 times
Cottman and Bustleton is not a suburban like setting. It is the Northeast section of Phila. So it is a city neighborhood. It just has wider streets, larger shopping centers & back driveways between the rowhomes which is different from the downtown sections of Phila that you have mentioned. The parking situation is easier near your work because of those differences.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:54 AM

Thanks all for your responses.. wouldn't Old City take me longer than 30 mins to get to work from?

Old 08-10-2009, 02:45 PM

13 posts, read 34,352 times
Living in Old City and commuting to work could be a major hassle in rush-hour traffic.
Plenty of apartments in the area of your work...Yeap, Phila. is a city of neighborhoods.
Think (areas close to work): Mayfair, Bustleton, Castor Gardens, Burholme, Fox Chase. All of these are close to your work and "respectable." Plus, located in or near your employment.
AND the extra big plus is that the rents will be no where near what you were thinking about paying.
If you have extra cash and a need to "preppy it up," sure, spend $1,400 in Old City.
Welcome to the neighborhood.

Old 08-10-2009, 03:34 PM

2,189 posts, read 6,852,431 times
Actually living in Old City should be ok, because you will be driving against traffic. And if you are used to living (and like living in) NYC, this area would be much more to your liking than the Northeast.

Old 08-10-2009, 11:16 PM

Is old city the only good option? Isn't it in the Center city area? What about funner places closer to the northeast? LIke Chestnut Hill? Would it be even further away from Cottman and Bustleton than would Old city, Society hill?

Old 08-11-2009, 05:46 AM

596 posts, read 1,547,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venusmaria View Post
Is old city the only good option? Isn't it in the Center city area? What about funner places closer to the northeast? LIke Chestnut Hill? Would it be even further away from Cottman and Bustleton than would Old city, Society hill?
I'm not sure I would categorize Chestnut Hill as "funner". Old City has restaurants/bars, shops, galleries...sort of SoHo like. Chestnut Hill has shops, some restaurants, not many bars to speak of, much more sedate...closest in comparison to Forest Hills, Queens in NY. It's a safe neighborhood and would be a much easier commute for you, though about the same distance from work. It's also much more car friendly than Old City.

The only other place you might check out that has an active commercial core and is somewhat close to work would be Jenkintown, which is just north of the city limits. Kind of Brooklyn-like (Park Slope and Brooklyn Heights) in terms of its mix of people, it's very safe, a pretty area and car friendly. It's also quite affordable and could actually rent a nice HOUSE versus an apartment if you so desire. The commute would be pretty simple, straight across Cottman Avenue. Jenkintown Community Alliance » Visitors & Shoppers (http://jenkintown.net/visit-shop/ - broken link)

http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1315291163.html (broken link)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1305107075.html (broken link)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1298754569.html (broken link)
http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/apa/1310970457.html (broken link)

Old 08-11-2009, 08:28 AM

149 posts, read 399,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venusmaria View Post
While an amazing section of the city, Chestnut Hill/Mt Airy is really better for families etc than for singles....plus it is no closer by car to the NE than Old City or Northern Liberties.

If you consider NL and OC, you should also add Queen Villiage, Bella Vista and South Philly in general to your list. Not much further to the NE down 95, amazing restaurants, cool little blocks, friendly (single and family) folks and in Bella Vista especially, walkable to Center City. If my wife and I (and impending kiddie) weren't so happy in Mt Airy, S. Philly is where we would be. Love it.

You may want to consider University City also. I am not an authority on UC but it is really a straight shot up the Schuylkill to the Roosevelt Boulevard into the Northeast. Maybe a 30 min commute.

NE Philly, especially where you will be working is quite a distance from anywhere i would recommend for someone who is single. I live, or have lived in or near some of the places mentioned here (Glenside, which is near Jenkintown, Mayfair and Mt Airy/Chestnut Hill) and I wouldn't recommend any for a single female, especially if you are looking for decent bars/restaurants/nightlife. Gonna have to commute a little over 20 min I suspect.....

Also @ the OP, you mentioned that you heard that most neighborhoods are unsafe in Philly....I would say the opposite. Most neighborhoods are safe, but some are extremely unsafe. And some mostly safe neighborhoods are close to worse areas and have spillover crime. Just do your homework, visit frequently, day or night to gauge your comfort level and you'll be just fine.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or