Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: ....
YES! 25 40.32%
NO! 37 59.68%
Voters: 62. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2009, 09:26 AM

145 posts, read 223,751 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12V12 View Post
*Reality*
Agreed... this idiot (literally) should have faced the SAME legal institution that we all typically face, but since he's affluent and is a major marketing commodity, he gets a slap on the wrist for something the rest of us would be long gone for 5-10yrs over! Forget this STUPID, abusive dunce... stop worshiping these dullards like they are deities; MOST of the athletes in pro sports are stupid as rocks and about as civil as caveman; but their HANDLERS step in when they want to reveal their true-colors, to keep the public mystified. He throws a ball to another person, BIG DEAL.

He's only "sorry" b/c he got caught, just like the other affluent criminals in this country. Society is BETTER OFF w/o him and his self-inflicted woes. So, what if he didn't get caught? Would he turn himself in... or like most wealthy criminals; try and write a book later on, confessing his sins and of course, PROFITING from them(?)! Lets not forget there was major money (illegal betting) being made from the TORTURE of animals: He's an animal himself.
I do agree with "he's only sorry he got caught". Have you ever noticed how many born again Christians there are in prison?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2012, 10:07 PM

17,876 posts, read 15,750,740 times
Well it is now 2012. Has any kind of awkwardness over Mike Vick pretty much subsided? The iggles have been doing well, well at least they are competitive. Vick is a large part of that reason. So have the die hard philly sports fans pretty much forgotten about Vick's past vices?

Sorry I watching the Iggles vs G-men right now, and everytime something mentions the iggles, I have to wonder about the fans, and the whole awkwardness.

Old 10-01-2012, 06:47 AM

3,263 posts, read 5,626,526 times
1. To me, Vick still looks/plays like the same QB that the Falcons were happy to be rid of. IMO the Eagles would be better off without him too.
2. I don't think he's sorry, he never really apologized for or admitted to the really awful things he did, and I can't really bring myself to cheer for the guy on the field. I don't care if other people do, but I won't.
3. If convicted of a felony, neither I nor my wife would have been able to get our same jobs back, and neither would the majority of other licensed professionals. Ones who aren't put up on spotlit pedestals as role models for kids, and are paid a tiny fraction of what he is. So I was not one to fight for this guy's "right" to have the same job again. But what's done is done.

Old 10-01-2012, 12:00 PM

8,976 posts, read 21,067,474 times
I'm pretty much with Rotodome. If Vick at least had done a year or two in the CFL, that would have shown professional humility. I've yet to see one commercial from him about (or an announcement that his new clothing line would make a contribution to) animal welfare organization. So, not much personal humility there. At the very least, it seems he is keeping his nose clean notwithstanding getting it plowed in the dirt regularly no thanks to a weak offensive line. But I'm still flabbergasted that Andy Reid would pick him before, say, the Oakland Raiders.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:20 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,400,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rotodome View Post
1. To me, Vick still looks/plays like the same QB that the Falcons were happy to be rid of. IMO the Eagles would be better off without him too.
2. I don't think he's sorry, he never really apologized for or admitted to the really awful things he did, and I can't really bring myself to cheer for the guy on the field. I don't care if other people do, but I won't.
3. If convicted of a felony, neither I nor my wife would have been able to get our same jobs back, and neither would the majority of other licensed professionals. Ones who aren't put up on spotlit pedestals as role models for kids, and are paid a tiny fraction of what he is. So I was not one to fight for this guy's "right" to have the same job again. But what's done is done.
No comment on #1, that's a football issue...

For #2, if you think Vick hasn't apologized, either you're not paying attention or being intentionally incorrect. He apologized after his guilty plea, but he made a really heartfelt apology after being released from prison. He pleaded guilty - he did admit to what he did. And since his release Vick has been working with the Humane Society.

You know, 1 minute of Google would go a long way to not spreading falsehoods, or telling us "you don't think he's sorry."

As to #3 I would think most people on this board would be able to work again in their field, as most computer and software professionals are not licensed by any professional organization. I am completely not interested in making people unable to earn a living after completing their sentence. After all, his sentence was "2 years in prison," or would you rather have his sentence be "2 years in prison, plus an inability to ever earn more than $25,000 per year?"

Would you be OK with Vick being on the motivational lecture circuit, making $10,000 per speech? Because that's what the white-collar ex-felons do.

Old 10-02-2012, 12:27 PM

2,499 posts, read 4,400,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
I'm pretty much with Rotodome. If Vick at least had done a year or two in the CFL, that would have shown professional humility. I've yet to see one commercial from him about (or an announcement that his new clothing line would make a contribution to) animal welfare organization. So, not much personal humility there. At the very least, it seems he is keeping his nose clean notwithstanding getting it plowed in the dirt regularly no thanks to a weak offensive line. But I'm still flabbergasted that Andy Reid would pick him before, say, the Oakland Raiders.
Please see my previous posting. If you don't know what Vick has done since his release, it's because you don't want to know. 1 minute of Google would enlighten you to his work with the Humane Society, for example.

And what makes you think the CFL wants to act as a halfway house for the NFL? And what in the world is "professional humility" anyway? Something you just made up?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:01 PM

3,263 posts, read 5,626,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonPanther View Post
No comment on #1, that's a football issue...
Well...it's a football player and a football team in question, right?
Quote:
For #2, if you think Vick hasn't apologized, either you're not paying attention or being intentionally incorrect. He apologized after his guilty plea, but he made a really heartfelt apology after being released from prison. He pleaded guilty - he did admit to what he did. And since his release Vick has been working with the Humane Society.

You know, 1 minute of Google would go a long way to not spreading falsehoods, or telling us "you don't think he's sorry."
Vick plead guilty to bankrolling the dogfighting operation - specifically to: "conspiracy to travel in interstate commerce in aid of unlawful activities and to sponsor a dog in an animal fighting venture". That's all.
That's the least of what he did, and was witnessed doing, that bothers me.
And crocodile tears and the recitation of prepared statements written by a team of highly paid publicists don't really sway me very much. Please don't throw around accusations of ignorance and worse when people are just stating their own, informed, opinions upon request. And please re-read the last part of my "#2" if you want to know why I won't counterattack you for your own personal opinions about the guy.

Quote:
As to #3 I would think most people on this board would be able to work again in their field, as most computer and software professionals are not licensed by any professional organization. I am completely not interested in making people unable to earn a living after completing their sentence. After all, his sentence was "2 years in prison," or would you rather have his sentence be "2 years in prison, plus an inability to ever earn more than $25,000 per year?"

Would you be OK with Vick being on the motivational lecture circuit, making $10,000 per speech? Because that's what the white-collar ex-felons do.
Wow, I didn't realize this board was so overrun with "computer and software professionals". How about that. But I'm not really interested in straw-man arguments. And I don't care what Vick does in hypothetical fantasy universe, or even in the real world at this point. My opinion about him as a person doesn't change. I'm not going to cheer for him on the field, and I don't think he's a good sports hero for my kids to look up to. Many disagree with me, and good for them.
He somehow suckered another team into giving him a 100 hundred million dollar contract. Remind me why we are supposed to feel bad for him?
I personally can't wait until he's not the face of my team anymore. And hopefully this is his last season with the Eagles.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia