Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 02:34 PM

9 posts, read 34,133 times

Advertisements

Hello - I would love the help of this knowledgeable community. My husband and I are considering a move back to the east coast sometime in the next couple years (we are currently in the SF Bay Area and love it, but can't afford a nice home and miss being near our parents now that we have a child). I grew up outside Philadelphia (Berwyn) and my parents are still there. It was fine as a child but I wouldn't want to live there now (too suburban; not enough "community" feel). We really like Philly and are trying to learn more about the towns in the area that would fit what we're looking for: close to center city; walkable (with sidewalks); good walkable shopping district(s) with independent shops (not all "shopping center"/big box); good public schools; parks/playgrounds/good areas for walking; houses with charm and a bit of a yard (not Toll Brothers); friendly people; and, very importantly, diversity of residents (race, religion, socioeconomic status, family composition) - or if you can't get that without being in the city itself, then a good proportion of people that truly value those things and are progressive-minded. I know we won't replicate what we have here in the Bay Area, but I can't imagine going anywhere where these values aren't part of the culture for at least a good portion of residents. I've read a bit here and it sounds like Media, Jenkintown, and Armore may have elements of what we're looking for - and Mt. Airy sounds to be most what we're looking for, except for great public schools. What can you all tell me about these areas? How do they (or don't they) fit our wish list? What do you know about elementary schools in Mt. Airy and/or charter schools in Philly? Thank you so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 05:08 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Where will the breadwinner(s) be working?

You can't really go wrong with any of those towns and communities you're considering.

Media may be the least diverse of the four but it shouldn't be an issue.

You should know that Mt. Airy consists of two sections: West Mt. Airy is possibly the most diverse community in the city in every way and generally middle-class. East Mt. Airy is a quiet neighborhood of working-to-middle-class African-Americans. Someone else here knows a bit more about the elementary school but I believe it is fairly decent by city standards. You will need to be very proactive about your kids' high school placement.

Jenkintown has a neat walkable downtown although you'll probably have to hop in your car to get groceries. I grew up in the area; by Berwyn standards, it's probably more dense and a bit less upscale.

You probably already know Ardmore pretty well. Like Jenkintown, it too a convenient and walkable downtown. Some look at it as the least attractive of the Main Line communities but I happen to find it interesting.

Old 08-24-2009, 05:21 PM

Thanks so much - we don't know where we'd we working - right now we're both self-employed (work from home) but the picture could change if we move back east. Both professionals with graduate degrees. We've lived in cities for years so are a bit nervous about moving to the burbs, but with a kid we're now prioritizing yard/safety/schools, where that's never been a priority in the past. I actually don't know Ardmore well - I only remember "Suburban Square" shopping (?) that was accessible on the R5. When you say some consider it the "least attractive of the Main Line communities" is that because of the physical look of the area, or the fact that there are some poor people? (I live in Oakland, CA - near all kinds of people.)

Old 08-24-2009, 09:31 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,821,015 times
As ac tiy dweller, I certainly don't consider Ardmore the least attractive. I rather like it. OTOH, I think Mt. Airy might be the best fit as you're probably aware Bay area progressivism is fairly radical and Mt. Airy is radically progressive (for our area). While traditionally East has been African American Middle class, it's become a lot more mixed over the last decade as middle class whites and mixed couples had more trouble affording the west side of Mt. Airy. Schools in Philly generally aren't good but with the advent of charter schools and some magnets, it's not all bad. I can't speak to the Mt. Airy school specifically but google (school report card Inquirer) for a report produced every year. Ardmore is also about to embark on a redevelopment plan to unify it's old "downtown" with suburban square. I think it, of al suburbs, has suffered the most by the resurgence of center city. lots of young people lived in ardmore when cc was unsafe and undesirable, that's no longer the case. not necessarily a bad thing, just had to change. it's split into two districts and the schools vary noticably. Jenkintown has a nice community, though it's more conservative (though there are enough lawyers there to prevent it from being considered a conservative place). all three have good train access to center city.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:07 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suebeeheubee View Post
Hello - I would love the help of this knowledgeable community. My husband and I are considering a move back to the east coast sometime in the next couple years (we are currently in the SF Bay Area and love it, but can't afford a nice home and miss being near our parents now that we have a child). I grew up outside Philadelphia (Berwyn) and my parents are still there. It was fine as a child but I wouldn't want to live there now (too suburban; not enough "community" feel). We really like Philly and are trying to learn more about the towns in the area that would fit what we're looking for: close to center city; walkable (with sidewalks); good walkable shopping district(s) with independent shops (not all "shopping center"/big box); good public schools; parks/playgrounds/good areas for walking; houses with charm and a bit of a yard (not Toll Brothers); friendly people; and, very importantly, diversity of residents (race, religion, socioeconomic status, family composition) - or if you can't get that without being in the city itself, then a good proportion of people that truly value those things and are progressive-minded. I know we won't replicate what we have here in the Bay Area, but I can't imagine going anywhere where these values aren't part of the culture for at least a good portion of residents. I've read a bit here and it sounds like Media, Jenkintown, and Armore may have elements of what we're looking for - and Mt. Airy sounds to be most what we're looking for, except for great public schools. What can you all tell me about these areas? How do they (or don't they) fit our wish list? What do you know about elementary schools in Mt. Airy and/or charter schools in Philly? Thank you so much for your help!
You hit the nail on the head, I immediately went to Mt Airy, specifically
West Mt Airy when I was reading your post. It's quite progressive, diverse and has a well educated population. Oddly enough however, great public schools are not part of the mix. The nearby William Penn Charter School is excellent. William Penn Charter School

Old 08-25-2009, 06:29 AM

3,301 posts, read 11,716,798 times
All of the areas mentioned are great and definitely worth a look. As far as schools, I think West Mt. Airy goes to Jenks for elementary which is a decent school. I'm not sure about East Mt. Airy. As for high schools, I think the neighborhood schools would be Germantown or Martin Luther King...both of which are bad....really bad. The way the school system works, you can apply to other high schools around the city, so if you're proactive and your kids do well they should be fine. There is a good magnate middle school in Mt. Airy that your kids could apply to (Hill Freedman). HF kids often go to the better high schools, like Central, Girls, or Masterman, which are among the best in the state.

Double check on all of this by doing your own school research, as I could be mistaken.

Just out of curiosity, are your kids in SF public schools? The current head of the Philadelphia school district (Ackermann) came from there, if that means anything to you. Actually, I think she was fired from there, but that's a different discussion...

Old 08-25-2009, 07:18 AM

1 posts, read 4,805 times
Take a closer look at Jenkintown. Smallest public school district in the State (graduating classes of 40-50), walkable streets, community-owned movie theater, active all-volunteer fire department, youth athletic association, environmental association and borough council, best train station in the suburbs (4 lines stop at station), and beautiful old homes. Home prices generally lower than other areas you are considering. Economically diverse. While not as culturally diverse, I think it would not disappoint in that regard either. If you are looking for a "small town" feel, I would start looking here.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:06 AM

Thanks very much to everyone for your comments. Our child is not yet school-aged, so we haven't had to think about schools yet out here. Jenkintown sounds lovely but maybe too "small-town" for where we're coming from? I understand Media to be larger - can anyone tell me more about that area? Looks to have a nice little downtown area - what is the culture/feel of that community? I saw that McCain/Palin held a rally there during the election so wondered if that is more of a right-leaning area. (Political diversity is the one kind we don't have in Oakland! I'm fine with a more even balance, but don't want to be in a tiny minority as a liberal [left/centrist for Bay Area, liberal for the rest of the country].)

We visited West Mount Airy (and Chestnut Hill) last time we were visiting my parents and thought both looked really nice. Is there a distinct difference in feel/community of those two areas? I know Chestnut Hill is wealthier and whiter, but since they are right next door is there really an abrupt change between them? (We are white, and value having friends and neighbors from all backgrounds.) Do kids in those areas mostly attend public schools? Thanks again!

Old 08-25-2009, 11:08 AM

596 posts, read 1,707,095 times
There really isn't that much of an abrupt change between the two areas in ethnicity, it's more a physical abruptness. West Mt Airy is more residential and Chestnut Hill has a more defined commercial corridor while still maintaining a more upscale feel, even though West Mt Airy is nowhere near downmarket. All in all they flow into the other.

Old 08-25-2009, 06:06 PM

149 posts, read 445,485 times
If you are considering W Mt Airy don't discount East Mt Airy. In East Mt Airy you are going to get way more bang for your real estate buck compared with CH and WMA. Take a look at "Upper" East Mt Airy (my neighborhood) which is the area between Gorgas St and Cresheim Valley Road (S to N) and Germantown Ave and Stenton Ave (W to E). Amazing homes, mostly large singles and large twins, effortless diversity, friendly neighbors and easy access to the commercial corridor of Germantown Ave in both Mt Airy and Chestnut Hill. It is also well served by SEPTA rail with two nearby R7 stops: Mt Airy and Sedgwick. The local public elementary school is Henry Houston, but I am not really an authority as my wife and i are only expecting our first....we haven't even thought about schools yet. We moved here from the 'burbs (Glenside) and couldn't be happier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia