Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-30-2009, 04:49 PM

4 posts, read 8,160 times

Advertisements

Hey guys,

I've been seriously thinking of moving to Philly from GA sometime next year. I don't know much about Philly. I can count on one hand how many times I've been. But, I've heard good things, and I'm willingly to try it out.

I'm originally from Cleveland, OH. I had aspirations to move to the Philly area after graduating college, but life happened and I ended up in GA so my son could have a close relationship with his father and that side of his family. Well, his father no longer lives here and his grandparents drive me insane . I hate Atlanta, and I don't want to go home because there's nothing in Cleveland AT ALL!!!! But, I do want to be semi close. I believe the drive is about 7 hours at max. Right now i'm driving 10-12 hours, so 7 seems like heaven (LOL).

I'm 28, my son is 6. I grew up in the suburbs, so from the start, living in the city is out of the question (please send me Philly suburbs). Being a surburban girl, I know that sometimes public transportation can be scarce. Where ever I live in this philly suburb, has to have access to public transportation. I would like to buy a home, but since I'm new renting is not a problem (i would not like to spend more than $950 a month on rent for 2 bedrooms). Of course, I want my son in a good school. He loves the outdoors, so an area close to a park would be nice. Oh yeah forgot about the dog, we're bringing him to. It would be nice to have a place to walk him.

Coming from GA, I'm used to driving a country mile to get where I need to go. If I move, I'm not trying to do it. Local grocery stores and malls must be close! Because I'll be driving home (cleveland), easy access to the highway would be nice (interstate 76).

ok just touching the basics now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2009, 06:22 PM

1,361 posts, read 4,314,129 times
As an Atlanta resident planning on moving to Philly in the future, I wish you the best! There is a good bit of useful info in the "sticky" thread at the top of the forum -- General Pointers About Living In Philadelphia. When I found useful posts for people hoping to move there, I added it to this thread.

Old 08-31-2009, 12:38 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times
Maybe check out Doylestown/Warrington. My cousin's friend was talking about the 2-bedroom apartment she just got around there for $900/mo or so. I was just in awe, as that's less than my half of our rent down here in DC, but c'est la vie.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia