Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 10:02 PM

15 posts, read 34,569 times

Advertisements

Hello,

We are moving to Philly and will be renting a house in west chester area. We are coming from Pittsburgh which is relatively small compared to Philadelphia. We need help to narrow down the list of suburbs that have diverse population with good schools. We work in software related job, so we will be working in King of Prussia, Malvern area I guess.

In Pittsburgh $250,000 can get a good house in a good neighborhood. How much will it cost in some of the good school districts in Philly suburbs?

Once we make a list, we will drive down to get a feel of the area.

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 06:57 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay1 View Post
Hello,

We are moving to Philly and will be renting a house in west chester area. We are coming from Pittsburgh which is relatively small compared to Philadelphia. We need help to narrow down the list of suburbs that have diverse population with good schools. We work in software related job, so we will be working in King of Prussia, Malvern area I guess.

In Pittsburgh $250,000 can get a good house in a good neighborhood. How much will it cost in some of the good school districts in Philly suburbs?

Once we make a list, we will drive down to get a feel of the area.

Thanks in advance
I'd look at Ardmore or Bala Cynwyd.

Based on your criteria, Ardmore would be my first choice. It's in an area referred to as The Main Line. One of Philly's most desirable suburbs.
Ardmore, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pennsylvania Main Line - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bala Cynwyd is at the Philadelphia city line and is a bit more diverse.
Bala Cynwyd, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Bala Cynwyd is a bit more in your price range and offers more choices within budget than Ardmore.

Old 09-23-2009, 06:38 PM

2,781 posts, read 7,209,981 times
I wouldn't call Ardmore one of the 'most desirable suburbs', but there's nothing wrong with it.

Old 09-24-2009, 05:39 AM

27,207 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JHG722 View Post
I wouldn't call Ardmore one of the 'most desirable suburbs', but there's nothing wrong with it.
The Main Line is pretty desirable, not sure if you've visited..??

Ardmore is sandwiched between Narberth, Wynnewood and Haverford,
and is located within the Lower Merion School District which is among the highest percentile in the state. Granted it's the least prestigious of the Main Line communities but it offers a pretty big bang for the buck as a result of it's location.

Old 09-24-2009, 10:31 AM

Hello,

We are okay to go up to $400,000. Does that give us more (or better) choices.

Thanks
Jay

Old 09-26-2009, 02:24 PM

183 posts, read 631,961 times
Your budget will buy a lot of house in Yardley or Morrisville, and you will enjoy the Pennsbury school district. Pennsbury is a great system that absolutely meets your criteria. Good luck with your move. By the way, West Chester is a great place; I'm sure you will enjoy your stay there.

Old 09-26-2009, 04:31 PM

3,770 posts, read 4,981,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelb View Post
Your budget will buy a lot of house in Yardley or Morrisville, and you will enjoy the Pennsbury school district. Pennsbury is a great system that absolutely meets your criteria. Good luck with your move. By the way, West Chester is a great place; I'm sure you will enjoy your stay there.
I agree.

I love Parkseburg and Avondale.

Old 09-28-2009, 03:22 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,045,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay1 View Post
Hello,

We are okay to go up to $400,000. Does that give us more (or better) choices.

Thanks
Jay
You live can live fat on $400,000 in Cheltenham, Jenkintown or Abbington, have great neighbors and your kids will be overwhelmed by diversity. We've been in Elkins Park, Cheltenham Township for 8 years, put The Kid® through school and off to college, she had great friends/classmates, from all over the board. Some days the house looked like we were shooting an ad for Beneton.

In my block we have gays/lesbians, blacks, whites, jews, gentiles, koreans and a number of interracial couples, one Romanian Cantor and her husband, and one Brit (he's our token). What we don't have are Republicans, we allow them, but they just don't seem to stay.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:29 PM

Okay, so far I have Bala cynwyd, Ardmore, Yardley, Morrisville, Cheltenham, Jenkintown or Abbington.

I found houses in my price range only in Yardley, Morrisville in realtor.com. Am I missing something? What is the best site to find philly house prices? What suburbs have more asians?

Yardley seems to be very far on the map from King of Prussia.

Old 09-29-2009, 09:40 PM

I forgot to post, We moved and I absolutely love it here in west chester, PA. People ar nice and shopping, resturant everything is good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia