Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2010, 01:31 PM

712 posts, read 1,366,403 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
It would be interesting to discuss what area of the city will be the next hot neighborhood. We already have Northern Liberties, Fishtown, East Passyunk and Graduate Hospital (or South of South or whatever it's being called these days).

What's next?
I think it depends on how much ammo you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2010, 01:54 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,813,981 times
there isn't going to be just one next neighborhood. of course, improved and "hot" are entirely different.
"hot" commercial areas?
that's a tough one. I'll pick baltimore ave, sure it's improved. but I think E. Passyunk type of interest is coming soon.
is it too late to pick E. Girard Ave? If so, then west girard ave between college ave and the park
next neighborhoods to be revitalized?
south philly west of broad, north of snyder, and south of broad south of snyder
francisville
kingsessing
brewerytown
parts of kensington near fishtown and northern liberties
mantua
"hot" neighborhood like ucity became? templetown. it sort of is already but it hasn't hit critical mass yet, not a whole lot going on but with the new dorms, it's going to start to look more like 40th and walnut at broad and columbia

Old 04-20-2010, 08:21 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,981,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pman View Post
that's a tough one. I'll pick baltimore ave, sure it's improved. but I think E. Passyunk type of interest is coming soon.
word.

Quote:
is it too late to pick E. Girard Ave? If so, then west girard ave between college ave and the park
Really, Girard Ave. from Fishtown all the way over to 7th St. has stuff going on. It's not "hot" yet but it's going to be. I was just up at Tiffin a few weekends ago and couldn't believe how much construction was going on behind a lot of those old facades.

I think the only thing holding W. Girard back is that so many people have been expecting it for so long that the prices are too high for the would-be pioneers . . . kind of like what happened on Fairmount Ave. It was nothing for so long then, all of the sudden, boom!

Quote:
next neighborhoods to be revitalized?
south philly west of broad, north of snyder, and south of broad south of snyder
West of Broad/North of Snyder is Newbold. If you mean east of Broad/South of Snyder? That's LoMo (Lower Moyamensing).

Quote:
francisville
kingsessing
brewerytown
parts of kensington near fishtown and northern liberties
mantua
"hot" neighborhood like ucity became? templetown. it sort of is already but it hasn't hit critical mass yet, not a whole lot going on but with the new dorms, it's going to start to look more like 40th and walnut at broad and columbia
The only one I disagree with here is Kingsessing. I can kinda see it but I don't think it'll happen for a while. I see a lot of that money going further west on Baltimore and along Market St. before it jumps the R3 tracks.

I think the area just south of El between 45th & 52nd is going to see a lot of investment - - - and once 52nd St. starts to turn around things will jump west of 52nd.

Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I think the only thing holding W. Girard back is that so many people have been expecting it for so long that the prices are too high for the would-be pioneers . . . kind of like what happened on Fairmount Ave. It was nothing for so long then, all of the sudden, boom!
prices have dropped dramatically in brewerytown since the bust so I think it's finally going to happen. there are already signs there, a new coffeeshop, some clothing stores, etc.
Quote:
West of Broad/North of Snyder is Newbold. If you mean east of Broad/South of Snyder? That's LoMo (Lower Moyamensing).
Newbold is actually Point Breeze renamed because of the former's bad rep. I think the eastern portion of point breeze with south of snyder (no ny names for Philly neighborhoods) will go. it's not a bad place now so it's really not much of a risk for anyone except maybe overpaying.

Quote:
The only one I disagree with here is Kingsessing. I can kinda see it but I don't think it'll happen for a while. I see a lot of that money going further west on Baltimore and along Market St. before it jumps the R3 tracks.
I think the area just south of El between 45th & 52nd is going to see a lot of investment - - - and once 52nd St. starts to turn around things will jump west of 52nd.
it's the one I'm least sure about. I can see the whole area between woodland ave and and locust east of 52nd turning eventually. A lot depends on who is moving, IMO. Kingsessing has incredible housing stock as nice as spruce hill/cedar park. west of 52nd north of baltimore is smaller housing so I guess it will somewhat be a function of who is moving in. north has the el (the 52nd st stop has more potential than 46th which has never felt terribly safe with west park projects nearby). the el is fast. still, people seem to like the trolleys and kingsessing has plenty of them. If baltimore ave redevelops as far as 52nd st there's no reason you can't see it in both directions but the city is doing it's best to prevent that.

Last edited by pman; 04-20-2010 at 09:55 AM..

Old 04-22-2010, 12:36 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,102 times
It's interesting to hear some of my Grad Hosp friends being concerned about it being renamed since the old, GH is fading into memory. I've heard "Rttenhouse South" being tossed around. I would like to see Grays Ferry North in order to give my old digs a shot. The rows in Grays Ferry proper are well placed. The proximity to the city and potential expansion from the Schukyll River project are something to look at. I think it was in the mid-90's when the beat up area in Baltimore was advertised to the GLBT folk under the slogan "stripped and ready for you" meaning bare shells in need of rehab and sold on the cheap. I would love to see that approach in GF. I plan to contact the GF Community Council with ideas. Specifically, the proximity to UPenn N Drexel. With the South Street bridge being down, it is a great area to bring in students and hopefully, keep them! The rows are affordable. It just needs it's chance to ressurect from the Section 8 debaucle of the early 90's that took it down.

Old 04-22-2010, 01:09 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,410 times
Does it really matter? For every hot neighborhood there are two on decline.

Old 04-22-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Newbold is actually Point Breeze renamed because of the former's bad rep. I think the eastern portion of point breeze with south of snyder (no ny names for Philly neighborhoods) will go. it's not a bad place now so it's really not much of a risk for anyone except maybe overpaying.
Since I live in Newbold I've actually done a lot of research on the history of the Point Breeze name.

going back 100-300 years ago point breeze was the name for the area down by the tank farms around 26th & Passyunk (where Point Breeze Ave. - which was called Long Lane - used to end before the expressway).

At some point between 1930 and 1950 it became the name for the area on either side of Point Breeze Ave. The slang term for the Avenue way back in the day was "The Lane" probably an homage to its former name.

It wasn't until the 70's or 80's that Point Breeze became synonymous with "the black part of South Philly." In talking to the old heads around here none of them refer to the neighborhood as Point Breeze and if you ask them where it starts they'll tell you "ahh, west of St. Thomas."

Also - Newbold is the name of the neighborhood association. It was named after Hicks St. (which you can still see written on the old buildings as "Newbold Street") People have just recently begun to use the name of the civic group to describe the neighborhood.

In terms of demographics , housing stock and general location of the neighborhood - it was never truly part of Point Breeze. You might be able to say it was for the area between Washington & Reed but not for Reed down to Snyder.

Old 04-23-2010, 02:42 PM

interesting about newbold, a better name than the God awful lomo. still, it seems they are trying to differentiate newbold form point breeze for marketing purposes. longacre has done good work down there.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:27 PM

3,210 posts, read 4,611,926 times
Does anyone think that Port Richmond will eventually be the next to turn? Also, why has no real improvement been done in Mantua?

Old 04-25-2010, 11:32 PM

Quote:
interesting about newbold, a better name than the God awful lomo. still, it seems they are trying to differentiate newbold form point breeze for marketing purposes. longacre has done good work down there.
Lower Moyamensing doesn't bother me. When you don't have a park or some big landmark you don't really have much to work with in terms of branding your neighborhood association.

Who are the "they" that are trying to differentiate newbold from point breeze?

what is longacre?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia