Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2010, 09:14 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,783,547 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
If you live in NJ and work in Philly you get to subtract the wage tax from what you owe to the state. When I lived in Collingswood I never paid NJ income tax.

very true. Pa and nj are reciprocating states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 08:15 AM

96 posts, read 359,267 times
I live and work in the city so my understanding of "refunds" is secondhand, but my colleagues who live in the suburbs keep meticulous track of the number of days they work from home instead of coming into the office, and my company posts a notice every year reminding people of the deadline to submit wage tax refund forms. (It was sometime in the late fall, I believe). Not sure if this is will help anyone, but I thought I'd put it out there. . .

Old 03-25-2010, 12:41 PM

1 posts, read 7,751 times
I live in Philadelphia, but work in Voorhees,NJ, why do I have to pay both Philadelphia withholding and New Jersey witholding tax. Please help all replies will be greatly appreciated.

Old 06-23-2010, 02:05 PM

1 posts, read 7,470 times
Question: I worked until February 9, 2009 in Philadelphia and was then dismissed from my job. I was no longer allowed to be onsite in the Philadelphia office and was paid through the 28th of February, when the termination was official. I was then paid a lump sum amount representing 6 months of income. I do not reside in Philadelphia, but Philadelphia wage tax was taken out for the period after February 9th. Can I get a wage tax refund on the severance package amount and wages post February 9th? Thanks

Old 09-24-2011, 01:20 PM

1 posts, read 6,424 times
If I live outside Philly and work in New Jersey but had a P.O. box in Philly. Do I owe these people any money?

Old 09-24-2011, 01:38 PM

8,975 posts, read 21,057,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christopher15 View Post
If I live outside Philly and work in New Jersey but had a P.O. box in Philly. Do I owe these people any money?
Does your paystub have a NJ address or the Philly P.O. Box?

If you live outside the city, you won't be subject to their city wage tax.

Old 09-24-2011, 01:55 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,783,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyke View Post
I live in Philadelphia, but work in Voorhees,NJ, why do I have to pay both Philadelphia withholding and New Jersey witholding tax. Please help all replies will be greatly appreciated.

you should not. Once you pay one, you don't pay the other. NJ and Pa have a reciprocating tax rule. We work in pa nd live in NJ and only pay one.

Old 11-15-2011, 10:45 AM

2 posts, read 8,873 times
I need the same answer.

Old 02-18-2014, 07:07 AM

2 posts, read 9,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeAye Native View Post
And it's also a one way process, in that you'll never ever get a refund of any money. Say you live outside the city and work in the city for an employer based in the city. You occasionally do your work outside the city limits. Make certain your employer is not submitting taxes for the time spend outside the city limits. That's 3.5% of your pay you get to keep. Once the employer withholds the tax money, you'll never see it again, there are no provisions for refunds.
Neither of those statements are completely accurate. I am a Bucks County resident who works in Philadelphia and I am required to submit end of year local tax forms that basically amount to me submitting my W2 as proof that I paid local tax to Philadelphia. I know this because I was recently sent a collections letter from the Keystone Collections Group demanding I pay backtaxes. I was told the problem will be settled now that I submitted my prior year W2s.

Additionally and more importantly, non-Resident non-commission employees can file a Wage Tax Refund Petition for time worked outside the city. I have received several hundred dollars back each year for time worked in other cities. The form is pretty straight forward and can be found here: [url=http://www.phila.gov/Revenue/taxpro/Pages/refundpetitions.aspx]City of Philadelphia: Refund Petitions[/url]

Old 02-18-2014, 07:13 AM

2 posts, read 9,005 times
Originally Posted by tyke [URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/795780-wage-tax-if-i-work-outside-post13448361.html#post13448361"]//pics3.city-data.com/trn.gif[/URL]
Originally Posted by tyke [URL="//www.city-data.com/forum/philadelphia/795780-wage-tax-if-i-work-outside-post13448361.html#post13448361"]//pics3.city-data.com/trn.gif[/URL]

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
you should not. Once you pay one, you don't pay the other. NJ and Pa have a reciprocating tax rule. We work in pa nd live in NJ and only pay one.

Sounds like apples and oranges to me. I pay Philadelphia (local) and Pennsylvania (state). I can't imagine the gas guzzling tax machine that is New Jersey not getting theirs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia