Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 06:50 AM

1 posts, read 4,189 times

Advertisements

Hi all...this is my first post, what an amazing resource! I will paste below our specs, but to summarize my husband and I are looking to move our children ages 3 and 1, from our Center City condo to a Philly suburb that has the following characteristics:

-GREAT School system
-Walkable/Bikeable town, good community like feeling
-Parents commute to Philly NE and Center City...but both need to get to PHL airport frequently
-Safe, friendly
-20 year horizon, we want to invest in a community that will continue to trend positive, appreciate...we don't want to be in the last days of an empire
-Budget is 550-650k...do not want McMansion...understand taxes vary, looking for value for the $ spent

Most advice has been Main Line, Abington, Doylestown, Newtown, Haddonfield, Moorestown and Chestnut Hill...I suspect commutes will hurt Bucks Cty and schools will hurt Chestnut Hill. Open to suggestions...thanks to all!

We pasted below the forum's Q& A to give more detail...thanks!

When are you moving? Early spring 2010(but flexible)
Where are you coming from? Center City
Why are you moving? Want great community/school for kids...play outside
Where will you be working? Northeast Philly(near NE Airport), husband has office in Center City, but spends most time commuting to airport for air travel
Have you been here yet? 5 years in area, seen alot

Will you buy or rent? buy, defintely
If buying, are you looking for a house or a condo? How much can you spend? 550-650k
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up? single fam house

Are you married or single? Do you have children? married with 2 kids, 3 and 1
Do you prefer public or private schools? public, otherwise stay in cc
Do you have pets? no
Do you want or need a yard? yes, but do not need a big yard
Are you keeping a car? yes, 2
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet? a little of both..do not like strip malls and traffic, but we are city people and like walking, outside exercise etc

What do you want to be closest to?
Work-commutes Philly Northeast(30 mins) and ability to get to PHL and Center City (30 mins)
Shopping
Basic services (supermarket, drugstore, etc.)-important, nice if we could walk to some
Nightlife-love to be able to go out for dinner without a 10 minute drive
Train or subway stations

Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood? -not a huge issue, we are though jewish and would at least like to have a few people from our background around...I have been the only jewish kid in school before

Coke or Pepsi?
H20...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:48 PM

8,984 posts, read 21,143,477 times
All of those towns/areas are great, some higher Main Line price points notwithstanding. I'll give a plug for my hometown area of Abington.

The school system has maintained an excellent reputation over the years.

You'll definitely be able to find a community where you can walk/bike for exercise. Chances are you would still want to hop in the car to pick up groceries. Lots of restaurants: some chain, some local that have been around for a while.

There are a half-dozen train stations in the Abington area. The R1 Airport train often shares the R2 route through Center City. Your'd be a short drive from NE Philly.

This is an older bedroom community that has become more diverse over time. There was a significant Jewish population when I graduated high school in the 80's and that hasn't changed. Most Jewish households tend to live east of Old York Road (Rt. 611.)

I'm a bit out of the loop on price points but you can definitely find something in the generally middle-class area west of 611 in your range. East of Old York Road tends to be more upscale.

Abington doesn't have a defined downtown - unless you count Willow Grove Park Mall - but we tend to "borrow" from Jenkintown's quaint center just due south.

Speaking of Jenkintown: that area, along with Cheltenham, Lower Moreland, and Upper Dublin would also be worth looking into. They surround Abington and would generally satisfy your needs, save less choices for Regional Rail.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:33 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,977,284 times
I would go with Haddonfield, Haddon Heights, Haddon Twp (Westmont).

Only because you get the ease of the Center City commute (PATCO is a breeze compared to regional rail) and the airport commute.

I would also throw Collingswood in there but you might find the school district lacking - although it's certainly on the up and up. If you're lucky you can find one of those houses west of Cuthbert Blvd (the collingswood side) but still technically be in Haddon Twp. You get the best of both worlds that way . . . especially since the Collingswood PATCO station is only a few blocks from the Haddon Twp. border.

Old 10-31-2009, 10:34 AM

51 posts, read 166,515 times
Default Philly suburbs

My wife and I have been in a similar search the past 6 months and although the forum can be helpful, the answer is pretty subjective.
That being said, we have looked at the all the towns/areas you listed. Based on your requirements, it would be tough to beat Haddonfield. Great community, great schools, walking/biking and long term upside. Besides the NJ taxes, we liked everything about Haddonfield.
We did though love the land, houses & schools of the Main Line, but had trouble with the commutes/roads and the lack of sidewalks/true community feel in each town.
Doylestown is great, but way too far out of the city and to a lesser degree, Newtown was as well.
Abington had nice housing stock, but we were not thrilled the greater community and got a mixed bag on the schools. Moorestown for a # of reasons did not make our cut.
Chestnut Hill bc of the lack of good public schools never made the list (but love the area). Hope this helps, as I said alot of this is subjective but it helped me to get other's opinions. Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 10-31-2009, 04:47 PM

117 posts, read 587,974 times
I'm going to throw Upper Moreland out there for you. I live there, but I live in the Huntingdon Valley part, which is really what I recommend. Schools are wonderful...I'm so happy with my son's teachers. I have a terrific house with a large yard on a great street. We are right near one of the best parks in the area (Mason's Mill, google it.) Plus, it's right off of Byberry Rd, which goes to Woodhaven Rd straight to I-95 for your downtown access. I think you'd be very happy here!

Good luck on your search!

Old 11-01-2009, 04:15 PM

40 posts, read 174,214 times
I grew up In Bala-Cynwyd. 20 minute bus ride to CC maybe 35 minute drive to NE. When I went to Lower Merion HS it was 40% jewish and you can get nice houses in your price range. Alot of very nice stores that are walkable

Old 11-01-2009, 07:08 PM

3,251 posts, read 2,548,624 times
I loved Abington.

It's a great place to raise a family.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:23 PM

1,325 posts, read 2,916,927 times
IMO, I'd narrow it down to either Chestnut Hill, or the Rydal/Meadowbrook areas in Abington. The Main Line is WAY too stuffy for my tastes and you don't get much for the price you pay. Doylestown and Newtown are just too far removed from everything. As far as those NJ towns, I know very little about them.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:53 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,977,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MH Montrose View Post
Chestnut Hill bc of the lack of good public schools never made the list (but love the area).
Chestnut Hill actually has good K-8. It's what high school your kid gets into that you have to worry about.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:14 PM

692 posts, read 2,349,217 times
I don't think Newtown is out of the range of your commute - A lot of the homes are right off I-95 and once you get on you really don't hit traffic until you get to the city. If you're going to the NE, that's quick and easy, about 15-20 minutes.. Center City - more like 35. Airport - 45. But remember, with Bucks you avoid a lot of the traffic that you get by being out closer to the main line, those roads are ALWAYS bad!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia