Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2010, 07:29 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,880,174 times

Advertisements

higher then Philly? Of course but its the same as Bucks and Mont counties. You get a whole ot more for you tax $$ too. We were shocked how much better the services are over here. And don't forget ALL the higher taxes get evened up by the higher car insurance and city wage in Philly. In fact its costs us LESS taxes for our 4 bed/3 bath single home with 1/2 acre in NJ when yu factor in the Philly wage and car insurance. LESS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aimewitue View Post
But Doesnt Jersey have Higher property Taxes!! i think would prefer North Philly closer to family!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 01:18 AM

640 posts, read 1,295,571 times
Default Hiiltop at Falls ridge

Westrum Development Company

what about these are they in a good community? is the price to high for that area?

Old 01-27-2010, 08:41 AM

Quote:

what about these are they in a good community? is the price to high for that area?

I would not live there... Not a great area... not real bad but not worth all that $$ for a townhome in Philly(prices are NOT listed which means its high)

Old 01-27-2010, 03:43 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Quote:

East Falls, and especially that part of East Falls, is a great neighborhood. It's has a very suburban feel to it but you still have good transit nearby.

FYI - those townhouses are priced in the high 200s to high 300s. Ten year tax abatement.

If you're working in the city and don't have kids it makes zero financial sense to live in the suburbs. If your household income is $150k then you're paying ~ $5800 in wage taxes and $0 in property taxes = $5800

If you live in the suburbs you're paying ~$4900 in wage taxes and ~$4500 in property taxes. So ~$9400

Car insurance isn't going to make up the $3600 difference. Even for two cars I'd be surprised to see it make a $500 difference.

When we first moved from the 'burbs into the city my wife still had her car. Her insurance went up about $150 per year. Her car was pretty old, though. One big difference, though, a tank of gas would last us two weeks and sometimes a month. That more than made up for the difference in insurance.

Old 01-27-2010, 06:24 PM

So youre saying in the city I wont have to pay property taxes???? Like maybe a condo or Loft downtown!!

No we dont have kids

So it would be smarter to live in the city if we worked in the city.....

what if we work in the suburbs Like the haverford area....... would we have to pay property taxes then or not...

Is that tax ababement just philadelphia county???

Old 01-27-2010, 08:00 PM

I hope you know that the 10 year tax abatement does not mean tax free. No sir. You pay prop tax on the bare ground (with no home on it)which can surely amount to some cash if its in a desirable area. The only way I can think to live in the city is if you don't drive and you are on the lower part of the pay scale and have no kids.. Otherwise its a no brainer. BTW- Our car insurance almost whet to half moving from the NE the Jersey. And I pay no wage tax at all in Jersey.. We were paying almost $7500 a year for wage tax and prop tax for a 1200 sq row in the NE and a little over $5k for a 4 bed/3 bath in Jersey now with ground.. No brainer...

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
East Falls, and especially that part of East Falls, is a great neighborhood. It's has a very suburban feel to it but you still have good transit nearby.

FYI - those townhouses are priced in the high 200s to high 300s. Ten year tax abatement.

If you're working in the city and don't have kids it makes zero financial sense to live in the suburbs. If your household income is $150k then you're paying ~ $5800 in wage taxes and $0 in property taxes = $5800

If you live in the suburbs you're paying ~$4900 in wage taxes and ~$4500 in property taxes. So ~$9400

Car insurance isn't going to make up the $3600 difference. Even for two cars I'd be surprised to see it make a $500 difference.

When we first moved from the 'burbs into the city my wife still had her car. Her insurance went up about $150 per year. Her car was pretty old, though. One big difference, though, a tank of gas would last us two weeks and sometimes a month. That more than made up for the difference in insurance.

Old 03-19-2010, 02:40 PM

Wife is a Rn looking for a good hospital or other type of clinical settings........in NE philly? what the pay range for a RN in philly? anyone know?

Old 03-19-2010, 03:56 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deeni View Post
I have personally lived in the NE and encountered all sorts of crime. As I said, my house was broken into and all our valuables were stolen, our car was stolen, I was followed home on two different occasions, and I could go on. None of this has happened to me anywhere else I have lived. I no longer feel safe in the NE and would not be able to go back.
Could you define NE? I see that and other "regions" thrown around and want some clarification, exactly how far NE extends and from where.
like kensington, Richmond? Never hear those areas or the ones around there suggested (the more urban ones). or does NE extend out beyond?
Thanks.

Old 03-20-2010, 10:16 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisertime View Post
Could you define NE? I see that and other "regions" thrown around and want some clarification, exactly how far NE extends and from where.
like kensington, Richmond? Never hear those areas or the ones around there suggested (the more urban ones). or does NE extend out beyond?
Thanks.
Here's one definition: Northeast Philadelphia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

This version includes Kensington - which may be technically true - although I don't know if people automatically group it with the rest of the Northeast.

Old 03-20-2010, 01:56 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,957 times
Thanks..that's a little more helpful. I get concerned when hearing vaguarities thrown around like "NE philly is dangerour and crime ridden" or "West Philly is ____" without knowing exactly what boundaries that includes. Just wondering which areas to avoid. Seems you get different opinions from different people and much of that could be semantics.

And like I've read here, it seems even decent areas can have really bad blocks and visa versa.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia