Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-29-2009, 03:11 PM

271 posts, read 1,668,175 times

Advertisements

Hey there Philly residents. I've never been to Philly before, let alone the South Philly Sports Complex.

It turns out that I have tickets to see U2 in concert at Lincoln Financial Field on July 12, 2010.

http://i654.photobucket.com/albums/uu263/HBK-79/newaerial2.jpg (broken link)

I'll be flying Southwest Airlines into PHL airport the day before the concert, and leaving Philly the day after. I don't wish to rent a car. I know there's a Holiday Inn inside the sports complex itself. However, that place is charging $250 per night, which is insane.

So...

Are there any affordable hotels near Lincoln Financial Field?

I tried looking through Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Easy Travel, Google Maps, etc. But most of the reasonably priced hotels/motels appear to be actually located within the city.

I'd like to keep my travel expenses down- which is why I choose not to get a rental car.

Can you guys give me any suggestions regarding other hotel options?

What do you guys think I should do? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2009, 05:57 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,779,876 times
The Holiday Inn is the only one directly at the sports complex but all of the airport hotels are really close, just a few miles. Of course you would have to travel by cab which may cancel out what you save without the rental car. Also center city (that's the downtown area) is connected to the sports complex by the broad st subway so any downtown hotel would work well if you can find a bargain......the closer to broad St the better. Many people attending concerts or sporting events arrive by subway. There is also a train from the airport into center city.

Old 11-30-2009, 02:00 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jericho-79 View Post
Hey there Philly residents. I've never been to Philly before, let alone the South Philly Sports Complex.

It turns out that I have tickets to see U2 in concert at Lincoln Financial Field on July 12, 2010.

I'll be flying Southwest Airlines into PHL airport the day before the concert, and leaving Philly the day after. I don't wish to rent a car. I know there's a Holiday Inn inside the sports complex itself. However, that place is charging $250 per night, which is insane.

So...

Are there any affordable hotels near Lincoln Financial Field?

I tried looking through Expedia, Priceline, Orbitz, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Easy Travel, Google Maps, etc. But most of the reasonably priced hotels/motels appear to be actually located within the city.

I'd like to keep my travel expenses down- which is why I choose not to get a rental car.

Can you guys give me any suggestions regarding other hotel options?

What do you guys think I should do? Can anyone help me out?

Thanks in advance.

Stay in Center City(CC)!!! There is a train that runs STRAIGHT to Center City from that airport. The Broad Street Line(BLS) subway then runs straight from CC to the sports complex. It costs $1.50 to go from CC to the sports complex by subuway and it only takes about 12 minutes.

Now the key is to find a hotel in CC that is in your price range. I stayed in a hotel a block from Rittenhouse SQ for about $140 but there are probably cheaper if you look. I think we stayed at the Latham. I just checked their website and it says rooms start at $109.

Do not stay at the airport or the sports complex!! There is nothing to do there. You will be like Tom Hanks in airport movie. There is nowhere to eat, drink and nothing to see. If you are in center city you will be able to go out and see the city.

Last edited by thekish; 11-30-2009 at 02:16 PM..

Old 11-30-2009, 02:17 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,166,799 times
I agree with the suggestions to find a hotel in Center City and use the Broad Street subway to and from the Linc. You'll probably want to go someplace after the concert; there's almost nothing open in the stadium area once the games/events are over. Meanwhile, there are lots of nightlife options in Center City to choose from.

Old 11-30-2009, 03:24 PM

360 posts, read 993,017 times
The most convenient hotel to the Broad St subway is the Doubletree with a station right outside the door. The best rates may be at a couple of smaller, independent hotels, also within easy walking distance to the subway, the Alexander Inn and The Independent. Also check rates for the Holiday Inn Express Midtown. In fact, any Center City hotel will be reasonably convenient, so wherever you get a good rate will work for you, except avoid the Best Western near the art museum, not a good property and a little remote for your purposes.

The train from the airport to Center City will be $7 pp, and taxis have a flat rate of $28.50 (plus tip.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia