Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2009, 06:35 PM

33 posts, read 48,476 times

Advertisements

Hello!

My husband and I are going to be visiting Philadelphia for a week this month, from London.
We're going to be staying downtown and working during the day, so out at night mostly.
Aside from the obvious visits to the Reading Terminal market during the day for good lunches; I wondered if any of you can recommend evening/night time spots for food and drinks.
Of course I am totally ignoring any negative things I have read about safety and would not like to spend the entire week quivering in the hotel restaurant, but am keen not to stray anywhere 'dodgy'
Any good advice out there?
We both love just about any cuisine, though particularly Italian.

Thanks

PS We are renting a car for the week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 07:06 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,709,844 times
The car may not be worth your while if your hotel is in Center City.

If you like a good pub, try the Kite & Key on Callowhill and 18th or Fergie's on Sansom St. One of Fergie's owners also has Monk's on 16th St. which is known for Belgian beers. For Italian, I like Oesteria on Broad St. near Fairmount, nice place but within a couple of blocks of a seedier area. There are a number of nice places near the Art Museum, if you can get out earlier and spend an hour or two at the museum first you can try Rembrandt's, Brigids, London Grill or any of a number of other places nearby for dinner.

Old 12-02-2009, 07:10 PM

Thanks for that. I have read the London Grill was a good place to eat and drink, even though it sounds like home...
We have the car, as we're flying in and out of Newark and want to visit NYC before we go. I realise it's probably not going to be needed in the city though.
Something I read about Tony's Pizza in North Wales (really? North Wales) has got the tummy rumbling too...
Not fussed about European places to eat, of course will be trying out cheesesteaks too, how could we not...?

Thank you for the reply.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:09 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,507,910 times
You might want to check out this forum too Philadelphia Restaurants: Read Philadelphia Restaurant Reviews - TripAdvisor

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.

Old 12-02-2009, 08:19 PM

Wow. Good stuff! Thank you very much. As they say, the food can make or break a place, no matter where you go. I don't think I will be disappointed.

Old 12-02-2009, 10:22 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Please don't go all the way to N Wales for pizza. South Broad St and Walnut St west of Broad have the most resturants although there are many others pretty much everwhere. Old City is the best neighborhood for bar hopping. Maybe you could give up your car when you arrive and then rent another just to return to Newark at the end of the trip. Most rent a car companys have downtown offices at the train station. Hotel parking is very expensive and it is easy to hail a cab in the street.

Old 12-03-2009, 06:07 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
You probably won't need a car when you arrive in Newark as there are national (Amtrak) and regional (NJ Transit) train options to take you into NYC. Your rental would be even more of a liability in the Big Apple than down in Philly.

Old 12-03-2009, 07:15 AM

Thanks for the advice, particularly about the car.
Unfortunately, being married to a man who absolutely has to drive an American 'muscle car' in the US, kind of rules out cabs and public transport as a sole means of getting around.
I am aware of the price of hotel parking, but that's what expenses accounts are for innit....

Old 12-03-2009, 07:29 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neraida View Post
Thanks for the advice, particularly about the car.
Unfortunately, being married to a man who absolutely has to drive an American 'muscle car' in the US, kind of rules out cabs and public transport as a sole means of getting around.
I am aware of the price of hotel parking, but that's what expenses accounts are for innit....
Fair enough: I just hope your husband is up to "muscling" his way through the Lincoln Tunnel to Manhattan etc. At least it won't be quite as bad coming back towards Philly, although I'd avoid traveling the NJ Turnpike during rush hour. Bonus that your parking will be covered!

Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 AM

360 posts, read 992,709 times
Besides Osteria, for Italian in Center City check out Ernesto's 1521 and Branzino (a BYOB). A few of my other favorites are Fork (American), Buddakan (Asian fusion), Zahav (Israeli), Amada (tapas). I also Like Friday, Saturday, Sunday for something more casual. Parc (French bistro) is very popular on Rittenhouse Square. For pizza, Stella is good (on Headhouse Square) You can check reviews and menus on Menupages. Philadelphia Restaurants, Philadelphia Menus, Ratings, Reviews, Philly Restaurants Guide
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia