Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:16 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,992,333 times

Advertisements

Independence Hall is cool, it's good to see the historic stuff while you're here but you could easily spend a cold, exhausting day walking around old city/society hill and only see a handful of historic things in what is otherwise a vibrant, modern city.

If history is your thing then, by all means, that's what you should do.

I would buy a ticket the Big Bus tour - it's $27 but it's good for 24 hours and it connects you to all the key tourist areas so you can use it to get around town. Big Bus - Philadelphia Guided Tours

Do the tour once through (90 minutes) and then decide if there are areas you want to explore further.
The only places worth checking out that aren't on that tour are South St. (between 2nd & 10th) and the Walnut St/Rittenhouse Square area.

Don't forget - we have some of the best restaurants and beer bars in the country. Take advantage and make reservations early.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2009, 09:50 AM

22 posts, read 38,850 times
Quote:
Do the tour once through (90 minutes) and then decide if there are areas you want to explore further.
The only places worth checking out that aren't on that tour are South St. (between 2nd & 10th) and the Walnut St/Rittenhouse Square area.
That tour is an outstanding idea, followed by old city of course (sorry, I have a degree in history so I'm a bit biased). I guess with only one day I wanted the OP to avoid the trap of seeing everything without ever really seeing anything (theres just too much to see in one day) however, a decent 90 minute bus tour seems like an easy way to see a lot without sucking out the whole day.

Old 12-17-2009, 11:49 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,792,079 times
Regardless of which tour you choose, and there are several choices, just use it too cover a lot of ground in a short time and to learn where things are located. Much of what the tour guides actually say (this is the largest and that is the oldest etc) is notoriously inaccurate and should be taken with a grain of salt.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:48 PM

728 posts, read 1,784,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
Good point....I guess in general we would like to see the sights (places to take pictures, etc).Hopefully stuff that isn't too boring. If there was something unique to do there I would like to check that out too. Also would like to try a Philly cheesteak....Thanks
When I first started working in Philly everyone said hit the usuals, Geno's, Tony Lukes, etc. But, my advice is to get a "Steak" from John's Roast Pork on Snyder Ave, it's behind the Lowe's near the river. Their website for directions etc: John's Roast Pork - Best Cheese Steaks & Roast Pork Sandwiches in Philadelphia

I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I think it's my fav place to get one.

Cheers.

Old 12-17-2009, 12:58 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,847,091 times
[quotejps1012]My fiance and I are going to Philly for one day. We are 28 years old. We are going to family in Penn for Christmas then want to stay in Philly friday night and check out the city on Saturday. Any suggestions on where to visit? Thanks[/quote]
I'm ranking these suggestions and grouping them into geopgraphic areas. you'll probably have time for both of these, should you choose, but you'll want to take my advice and skip some of the lesser attractions in each:
Independence Hall
Elfreth's Alley
City Tavern
Liberty Bell
Betsy Ross House

those are in order of importance. If you're tight on time, skip the bell and just look at it from teh sidewalk (since this is not peak tourist season, the line will be fine). Independence Hall is a must see though. Elfreth's alley is also pretty neat but the betsy ross house is a nice addition, but not a must see. After doing these things, I'd recomend picking up a good cheesesteak nearby at sonny's ordering both with onions, one with provolone and the other with cheez whiz (skip this part if you've already hit pat's or geno's the night before, while they arent the best steaks, it is an experience, especially after having had a few beers). after eating your cheesesteak, warm up and cool your heels with a hot cider, mulled wine, or tasty but overpriced beer at the city tavern. sit at the bar in the back or "lounge" at the city tavern.

Franklin Institute Science Museum
Academy of Natural Sciences
Philadelphia Museum of Art
Rodin Museum
Eastern State Penitentiary

These are sort of clustered but I doubt you'll have time to see museums on the inside. rather, stop at logan square (actually a circle) and take in the fountain (which will be off), the public library, courthouse, church, franklin institute, art school and the views of city hall to the south and the parkway and art museum to the north. If you're walking, you can pick up a coffee at cafe cret it's on the way to eastern state penitentiary (straight up 20th st to fairmount ave, take a left). if you're young and like different tourist sites, this one may be fore you. it's America's first pentitentiary and the audio guide is done by Mr. Pink. (afterwards, if you haven't already, there's a coffeeshop across the street called mugshots or, depending on your tastes and time of day, a quintessential old pub called London). After the penitentiary you can head down fairmount ave to the art museum, take it in, go to the gazebo on the hill in back, see the waterworks below and a nice view of Philly. if you're walking, catch a cab back to the city or your next destination. they're usually a few in back of the museum.

Mutter Museum
-medical oddities, interesting, espcially if you or your fiance has medical knowledge.
skip the US Mint and Mummer's Museum. I like the mummer's but it's out of the way and it's not the same as seeing them in person.

also worth seeing
Reading Terminal Market. an excellent place to grab breakfast, lunch or just a snack (doughnuts from beiler's bakery, cheap breakfast from the dutch eating spot, or a pretzel from miller's)

Rittenhouse Sq-city's most well used square

since you'll be spending the night here are some nightlife suggestions (different kinds since I don't know your tastes)
city's oldest continually running pub Mcgillan's (about to turn 150)
Parc- a remake of a parisian bistro (even down to the urinals)
Beer lover?
Monk's serves and excellent rotating draft list, mainly belgian, and is a Philly institution
a newcomer, Varga Bar has an excellent craft brew draft list

if you're a wine lover, old city's ristorante panorama in the penns view hotel. it's not a wine town by any means though, beer is where it excels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia