Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2009, 10:35 AM

20 posts, read 60,713 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I are going to Philly for one day. We are 28 years old. We are going to family in Penn for Christmas then want to stay in Philly friday night and check out the city on Saturday. Any suggestions on where to visit? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 10:39 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,987,223 times
It's a big city in a region of 6 million. 24 hours, assuming you plan on sleeping, is about enough time to visit 3 or 4 neighborhoods.

You'll have to be more specific about your interests and tastes.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 PM

Good point....I guess in general we would like to see the sights (places to take pictures, etc).Hopefully stuff that isn't too boring. If there was something unique to do there I would like to check that out too. Also would like to try a Philly cheesteak....Thanks

Old 12-16-2009, 12:28 PM

7,221 posts, read 11,941,280 times
www.gophila.com

Liberty Bell
Independence Hall
Franklin Institute Science Museum
Philadelphia Museum of Art
Mutter Museum
Mummer's Museum
Academy of Natural Sciences
Eastern State Penitentiary
Rodin Museum
Betsy Ross House
Elfreth's Alley
City Tavern
US Mint

etc......

Old 12-16-2009, 12:30 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,721,309 times
Historical stuff: Independence Hall, Liberty Bell, Constitution Center, just wander around Old City to see Betsy Ross's house, Elfreth's Alley, etc. When we have visitors come we always like to take them on one of the horse-drawn carriage tours, though they can be a little pricey.

Something "different": take a tour of Eastern State Penitentiary or go to the Mutter Museum (medical oddities)

For a really nice picture go up the Art Museum steps, especially near sunset. You can also get nice shots of Boathouse Row while you're there.

You could also check out Reading Terminal Market or the Italian Market. As for cheesesteaks, the tourist place to go is Pat's or Genos (of those two I like Pat's), but I send people to Tony Luke's. They've also got a great Italian roast pork sandwich. Just don't do what my friend did and eat one from each place in the same day.

That would all be more than enough for a day, especially in cold weather. I sent some friends up there on a daytrip who biked everywhere and hit all of the above except for the Mutter Museum and Penitentiary (yes, they're the ones who ate all the cheesesteaks....and a big bag of soft pretzels). Aside from some indigestion, they had a great time.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:33 PM

Thank you guys very much! I will def use your suggestions!

Old 12-16-2009, 01:29 PM

388 posts, read 1,095,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calico696 View Post
www.gophila.com

Liberty Bell
Independence Hall
Franklin Institute Science Museum
Philadelphia Museum of Art
Mutter Museum
Mummer's Museum
Academy of Natural Sciences
Eastern State Penitentiary
Rodin Museum
Betsy Ross House
Elfreth's Alley
City Tavern
US Mint

etc......

All ok except do NOT go to the Mummers Museum. When I am mayor I am going to ban the mummers.

Old 12-16-2009, 01:47 PM

388 posts, read 1,095,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jps1012 View Post
Good point....I guess in general we would like to see the sights (places to take pictures, etc).Hopefully stuff that isn't too boring. If there was something unique to do there I would like to check that out too. Also would like to try a Philly cheesteak....Thanks

Try to get a free map, mass transit map and maybe a taxi number for your cell. It should make things easier.

I would start at the Art Museum and work my way down the Ben Franklin Parkway toward City Hall. You will pass the Franklin Institute, Academy of Natural Science, Free Library, and the Rhodin Museum.

A couple blocks to the south of City Hall is the Kimmel Center, Union League, Academy of Music, and the Merriam Theater. Just to the north is the Acadamy of Fine Art and the Masonic Temple.

I would recommend Reading Terminal for lunch which a only a couple of blocks from City Hall.

After lunch head down to the historic district. There is the first bank of the US, US Mint, Federal Reserve Building Independance Hall, Liberty Bell, National Constitution Center.

Other places worth seeing depending on your interests:

-Please Touch Museum/Centenial Hall
-Barnes Foundation Museum. I think they have the largest collection of Cezanne
-Navy Yard Old battleships
-Penn's Campus
-Frankin Field
-boathouse row
-Sports complex if you want to see a gam
-Blue Horizon (boxing)
- Freedom Theater/museum
-Girard College
-zoo(west Phila) on Girard Ave

PS. Do not eat at Pats or Genos.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,785,599 times
Park in the garage behind the Marriott Hotel at 12th and Filbert st. (hotel is on Market St) Sign up for tours at Philadelphia Trolly Works on the corner of 12th and Filbert. (Google them for details) Before tour leaves take time to go into Reading Terminal Market across 12th St. (You may be able to get validated and get a break on parking) The tour itself will show you all the sights downtown and you have the option of getting on and off at numerous stops all day.

Old 12-17-2009, 06:55 AM

22 posts, read 38,815 times
These are all good suggestions, but for only 24 hours, I feel like you need to try to stick to old city and after that anything else you can fit in is a bonus. You have the entire complex around independence hall, and reading terminal within a short distance... Get to the visitors center early and get signed up for tours. For lunch head to reading terminal and split a roast pork sandwich and a cheesesteak (you have to try philly's "other" sandwich). At that point, either head back if there is more to see, or if you've had your fill of colonial history then head to center city and check out sights like city hall or the parkway. My one piece of advice is that you cannot go into philly and not see independence hall so make that the start of your day so that its not an afterthought as your tired and want to go home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia