Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 07:08 PM
FBJ

39,605 posts, read 59,011,429 times

Advertisements

As a single guy I prefer to meet women in south jersey because I seem to click better. Either that or meet a women in philly who moved here from another city.

Women who lives in Philly who lived here all her life=STAY AWAY
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 07:26 PM

10 posts, read 44,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
As a single guy I prefer to meet women in south jersey because I seem to click better. Either that or meet a women in philly who moved here from another city.

Women who lives in Philly who lived here all her life=STAY AWAY
Hmm and I'm a woman - so then the scary question does it apply that "Men who live in Philly who have lived here all their lives = STAY AWAY"?

Old 01-01-2010, 07:41 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirl77 View Post
Hmm and I'm a woman - so then the scary question does it apply that "Men who live in Philly who have lived here all their lives = STAY AWAY"?

Could be, I have a female friend who moved here from Denver and not having luck with dating.

Old 01-01-2010, 09:09 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,619,814 times
It's funny.. my friend who moved to Philly is friends with all people who moved there as well.

Same thing in Harrisburg. The natives just aren't as "friendly", so you make friends with people who aren't from the area.

Old 01-01-2010, 10:41 PM

7 posts, read 16,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlygirl77 View Post
I think everyone gripes about dating in their city when they are single. So there are no surprises there. Still I can see nuances in what people have written so far. I think on difference I suspect is that many are coming to NY to be successful or make it/money etc. and esp. for men, it can mean settling down later or not wanting to be bothered by it so much. I imagine Philly has less of this but that also means pay is less etc. The cost of living reflects this though.

There is also a greater sense in NY that people are in a rush and we often don't regard others in our day to day lives for this reason. In calmer settings/parties etc. it is not so much. So I dont think people are meaner in NY - just everyday life can make people guarded and myopic. I say this more vs other cities I've lived. I haven't lived in Philly but spent some time - but I'm learning more from your posts.

Any others are always welcome. Thanks.
In which cities that you lived in did you feel the people were less guarded and myopic than New York? It seems to me that people in Philadelphia are in general less outgoing than in New York City.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:06 AM

10 posts, read 44,007 times
I guess the Bay Area would probably be the only one. I think people in NY are not guarded when it is friend of friends, group activities/hobbies. They are very open to meeting new people in such scenarios since many people are from elsewhere.

I am speaking about daily life - walking in the streets, grocery stores, subways etc. In those scenarios, you are trained to not look at others or talk to them. The bay area is more laidback and I would guess some other cities too.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:45 PM

253 posts, read 868,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVandSportsGuy View Post
Could be, I have a female friend who moved here from Denver and not having luck with dating.
I totally agree with this statement. All my friends, who are not from this area, have had terrible luck in dating "the locals." They complain about the local guys and end up dating people not originally from Philly.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:53 PM

253 posts, read 868,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danwxman View Post
It's funny.. my friend who moved to Philly is friends with all people who moved there as well.

Same thing in Harrisburg. The natives just aren't as "friendly", so you make friends with people who aren't from the area.
Agree with this as well...I don't have a single "local" true friend and knowing my friends extended circle...the same is true for them as well.

Old 01-03-2010, 06:58 PM
FBJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shino306 View Post
I totally agree with this statement. All my friends, who are not from this area, have had terrible luck in dating "the locals." They complain about the local guys and end up dating people not originally from Philly.
I find myself dating women who are not from philly and I lived here all my life-lol

Old 01-03-2010, 06:59 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,523,221 times
What I've found from moving quite a bit is that people that have lived in one area their whole lives are not as eager to befriend new people because they already have a full roster of friends and family nearby. Now that I've lived in the same place (NOT in Philadelphia) for 12 years I find that while I am certainly friendly to strangers, I'm much less willing to take the steps to become friends and do things with new people. It's hard enough to find time for my own family and old friends. I didn't understand that before because we moved every three or four years and I was always eager to make new friends. My daughter, who lives in Brooklyn, says that everyone that she meets in NYC is from some place else. She doesn't know any native NY people.

Any Questions on how to use this site? See this.

Realtors, See This.

Moderator - Lehigh Valley, NEPA, Harrisburg, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, Delaware, Education and Colleges and Universities.

When I post in bold red, that is Moderator action and per the TOS can be discussed only via Direct Message.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia