Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:57 PM

32 posts, read 82,645 times

Advertisements

I'm considering a move in a few months to Graduate Hospital or Bella Vista. I was just wondering what the parking situation is like. Currently I live in Center City and generally park 2-4 blocks away from my apartment. I'm hoping to improve that situation in my move.

I'm really interested in the parking situation anywhere in Bella Vista and Graduate Hospital from Bainbridge to Christian and 20th to Grays Ferry. I just want to know: is it hard to find a place? Is it impossible to find a space after 5 pm? Do you have to get a parking pass in those areas?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 09:16 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asburypk View Post
I'm considering a move in a few months to Graduate Hospital or Bella Vista. I was just wondering what the parking situation is like. Currently I live in Center City and generally park 2-4 blocks away from my apartment. I'm hoping to improve that situation in my move.

I'm really interested in the parking situation anywhere in Bella Vista and Graduate Hospital from Bainbridge to Christian and 20th to Grays Ferry. I just want to know: is it hard to find a place? Is it impossible to find a space after 5 pm? Do you have to get a parking pass in those areas?

Thanks!
South of South st there are no meters but there are often time limits and a parking sticker will eliminate that problem. Parking spots are usually available but not plentyful. Weekends it is harder to find a spot. Where in CC can you park 2 to 4 blocks from your apartment on the street that isn't metered?

Old 12-28-2009, 11:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
If you want a place where it's easy to park get a house with a garage or a driveway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
Where in CC can you park 2 to 4 blocks from your apartment on the street that isn't metered?
A lot of streets in CC in the more residential areas - if you look carefully at the signs - you're exempt from feeding the meter if you have the right sticker.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:30 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,775,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
If you want a place where it's easy to park get a house with a garage or a driveway.
I have a garage. I was just curious.

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
A lot of streets in CC in the more residential areas - if you look carefully at the signs - you're exempt from feeding the meter if you have the right sticker.
I didn't know that. I know the sticker exempts you from time limits but not from putting money in the meter. The OP may be parking at a spot that is free in the evening and overnight I guess.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:28 AM

32 posts, read 82,645 times
Quote:
South of South st there are no meters but there are often time limits and a parking sticker will eliminate that problem. Parking spots are usually available but not plentyful. Weekends it is harder to find a spot. Where in CC can you park 2 to 4 blocks from your apartment on the street that isn't metered?

I hate to give away a place in CC with decent parking... but as long as you live in CC you can get a permit for about $30. This exempts you from meters and time limits. Generally, if you park before 5 or 5:30 on weekdays (and don't move your car on weekends), you can find parking on Pine, Lombard, and South between 9th and 13th.

In this area, you can also park for free without a permit and time limits on some blocks of Bainbridge, Fitzwater, and Catherine. There are always at least a few spots on these blocks at all times.

Old 01-04-2010, 08:34 PM

434 posts, read 1,312,459 times
I agree with asburypk's suggestions, particularly Lombard between 9th & 13th. Also, I used to pay a reasonable monthly fee to park in the garage where the SuperFresh is on South between 10th & 11th. The entrance/exit for monthlies is on Rodman Street (between South & Lombard). Of course, that was 3 years ago so things may have changed...

Old 01-12-2010, 01:50 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,930 times
Understand that the Graduate Hospital neighborhood is still developing to the positive. Translation: The further you park from your place the greater the chance of being robbed (later at night) and the greater risk of having your vehicle broken into. This from cops who I know that work in that district. Its usually the "out of the area" types who think walking back home at 10:00 p.m. with a ipod on is safe...it is not. It is a far cry from Hoboken or Brooklyn still!

Old 01-12-2010, 02:16 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,980,991 times
Quote:
I have a garage. I was just curious.
That was directed at the OP.

Old 01-14-2010, 10:01 AM

29 posts, read 97,315 times
Either place will be easier to park on the street in than Center City. With the lower population of the two, graduate hospital would be the easier of the two. Though, there really isn't much of a difference. I would suggest that you walk around both areas - BV has a lot more quality of life to offer than GHo does.

Old 01-14-2010, 12:29 PM

681 posts, read 1,511,930 times
Bella Vista does have more to offer but the prices reflect that. My friend lives there and it takes about 20 mins to find a parking space that is usually filled with 30 conditions. You get a ticket anyway. Crime is "spotty" but it does happen. Grad Hospital has a lower price tag but the crime is higher. I think if you plan to stay here long term or over 5 years, you will see a greater return on your investment in Grad Hosp than in BV.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: