Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: My attitude about the Mummers
Hate'm 6 16.67%
Dislike'm 4 11.11%
Have no Feelings one way or the other. 4 11.11%
Like'm 7 19.44%
Loves'm 15 41.67%
Voters: 36. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 11:38 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,236,259 times

Advertisements

they marched by my apartment this year. loud as hell. its entertaining but i realy dont care much for it. seems like the newer generation is turning it into a drunken white trash fest. too bad. the old timers are classier. i saw 2 twenty somethings (dressed up in mummer gear) talking **** to some tourists and cursing at them in the street. calling them "yuppie scumbags". like i said....white trash fest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 12:13 PM

418 posts, read 1,348,729 times
Default imho

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
they marched by my apartment this year. loud as hell. its entertaining but i realy dont care much for it. seems like the newer generation is turning it into a drunken white trash fest. too bad. the old timers are classier. i saw 2 twenty somethings (dressed up in mummer gear) talking **** to some tourists and cursing at them in the street. calling them "yuppie scumbags". like i said....white trash fest.
It is okay not to like the event or the music or the costumes.
That is choice ..

But ... .. Two ... out of ten thousand ...???

Just like any group .. there will be a few not up to par.
Many members are 3/4/5th generation
There are many police and fire
There are many veterans.

Please ...
Lets not vilify the whole bunch for the error of a few.

Old 01-04-2010, 12:47 PM

7,268 posts, read 10,585,214 times
I saw the Fancy Brigade on Saturday for the very first time. Quite an experience -- very flashy, flamboyant, and extremely impressive. I would absolutely see it again.

On another note, I don't think the negative folks on here realize how important it is that Philadelphia maintain its traditions. Such events help Philly maintain a very unique identity that many other newer and transient cities can only dream of attaining. It's part of a very storied tradition, and all Philadelphians should definitely be proud of it -- if only for instilling a sense of community.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:59 PM

145 posts, read 224,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I saw the Fancy Brigade on Saturday for the very first time. Quite an experience -- very flashy, flamboyant, and extremely impressive. I would absolutely see it again.

On another note, I don't think the negative folks on here realize how important it is that Philadelphia maintain its traditions. Such events help Philly maintain a very unique identity that many other newer and transient cities can only dream of attaining. It's part of a very storied tradition, and all Philadelphians should definitely be proud of it -- if only for instilling a sense of community.
Yes, much better seeing them on Broad st. I was dragged a few years back to see them somewhere indoors weeks after News Years (i can't remember where - I've erased it from my mind) and I wanted someone to shoot me it was so bad.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eyes View Post
It is okay not to like the event or the music or the costumes.
That is choice ..

But ... .. Two ... out of ten thousand ...???

Just like any group .. there will be a few not up to par.
Many members are 3/4/5th generation
There are many police and fire
There are many veterans.

Please ...
Lets not vilify the whole bunch for the error of a few.
and like i said, the new generation of locals are alcoholic *******s. i didnt say that it was all of the participants.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
well the grown adults should be ashamed of their kids who get hammered drunk and pick fights with residents of other communities. there is life outside of pennsport.

Old 01-05-2010, 12:41 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Just1Lion View Post
and like i said, the new generation of locals are alcoholic *******s. i didnt say that it was all of the participants.
I was down on 2nd Street on New Years' and from what I could see the "new generation" ranging in age from 4 to 12 seemed to be quite sober, but then again I wasn't sampling sippy cups and soda cans, so maybe I'm wrong.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:47 PM

161 posts, read 602,003 times
I live in Raleigh, North Carolina, and have gone to Philadelphia to see the Mummer's Parade THREE TIMES!! Each time, I brought different people and we all LOVED it. It is the best parade in the world by far, and I have seen dozens of Mardi Gras parades, the Savannah St. Patrick's Day parade, the NY St. Patrick's Day Parade, the Key West Fantasy Fest parade, etc., etc.

It was best when the whole thing was on Broad St., including the Fancy Brigades. But it is still awesome. So much history, originality, creativity, talent!!! We stay in a cheap hotel, get to Broad St. very early and stay all day! I love all the string band music. Nothing else is quite like it! The other spectators have always been very friendly. Rowdy sometimes, but so were we back in the day.

The night before we watch the fireworks on the river.

Maybe next year I can get some folks to go again!

Last edited by askmisterbrown; 02-04-2010 at 12:48 PM.. Reason: Added something

Old 02-04-2010, 12:52 PM

10,227 posts, read 16,811,894 times
supposedly attendance has been up since they returned to broad st. what was the old route?

Old 02-04-2010, 03:34 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,253 times
When I am mayor I will solve the Mummers problem.

We will also host the Olympics.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia