Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2010, 09:43 PM

3 posts, read 10,871 times

Advertisements

My boyfriend and I are relocating from sunny San Diego to the east coast and need some suggestions. I grew up in New Jersey and hope to be closer to my family.

We're looking to live in a suburban area close to the city that is affordable. My boyfriend needs to be close to an aiport as he travels often with his job. I work as a therapist so it will be relatively easy for me to find a job as I have the ability to look for work in many different settings, hospital, school, family practice, etc...

We are hoping to settle down and evetually start a family so schools are important but not number 1 on the list right now. We enjoy being close to nightlife, diversity, restaurants, theater, music, etc...From my online research it seems as though Drexel Hill offers what I'm looking for....if anyone has other suggestions/input please share. We're hoping to plan a trip out there in mid February and would greatly appreciate some guidance.

Thank you in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2010, 10:17 PM

4,927 posts, read 14,216,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west to east coast View Post
We enjoy being close to nightlife, diversity, restaurants, theater, music, etc...
Drexel Hill is an older family oriented inner ring suburb, not terribly exciting imo.It would be a good choice for a family moving from Baltimore or Harrisburg. Not so much for a young couple from San Diego imo

Suburbs that might be a better fit imo. Media(5 miles W of Drexel Hill), Wayne,Narberth,Ardmore,Bryn Mawr,Haverford, King of Prussia/Valley Forge/Plymouth Meeting. All these towns are easily accessible to 476 which gives you an easy commute to the Airport. Town of Media is the closest to the airport.

West Chester area and the Exton/Chester Springs area are also a good option, they are much newer and less of a culture shock for someone from San Diego. Little further west though, an extra 25 minute commute to the airport.

Its not for everyone but Center City Philly isnt nearly as imposing as you would think and it has everything you are looking for. Its the cultural core of the region and full of young professionals and college students.Worth a look.

Good luck.

Old 01-10-2010, 11:22 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,984,189 times
Center City or Roxborough or Mt. Airy in the city.

If you're really into the suburbs I'd look at any of the towns along 476 between the airport and West Chester Pike.

Also, any of the towns in NJ along Haddon Ave or the White Horse Pike. Collingswood, Oaklyn, Haddon Twp, Haddon Heights, Cherry Hill, etc. Generally anywhere within 10 miles of the Walt Whitman Bridge will put you within 30 minutes of the airport. There are a few crummy towns in that radius so if you narrow your search check back with us.

Old 01-11-2010, 10:08 AM

274 posts, read 1,401,155 times
All the places mentioned above are good to consider (for many of the reasons the posters stated).

However if you are looking for "affordable", then Drexel Hill and Havertown may have some of the more affordable options than others mentioned(i.e. media, bryn mawr,wayne to name a few). Depends on your definition of "affordable".

Old 01-11-2010, 01:47 PM

681 posts, read 1,512,573 times
As a resident of Collingswood, NJ, I can't help but suggest you look here. The town has "good" schools and is safe, cultural and a hop to Philly on the PATCO (like 11 minutes). The trendy, Manyunk feel is evident on the avenue with restaurants and shops for everyone. Homes are older and affordable and greatly diverse for young couples. Especially someone with a west coast experience. Hope that helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia