Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 10:13 AM

22,378 posts, read 38,925,770 times

Advertisements

Well as you can tell I am from Philly and honestly love it, but am partial and this is where my roots are.

To that end I travel often and love to explore new cities. Why for a city of it's size/history/culture/vibrancy does Philly get such a bad wrap. Please lets go beyond the NY/DC comparison.

Mainly I am curious to differentiate between peoples perceptions who actually visited versus those that did not.

And I am not really looking to say it is better or worse than anywhere.

I have my favorites because of what I like but typically find good aspects on most anywhere I have traveled (well one bad experience at the Houston Galleria - please do not try to walk accross the street, not sure people were expecting a pedestrian so I will chalk that up to a learning experience)

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 10:40 AM

21 posts, read 48,404 times
What do you mean it gets a bad wrap exactly? I've only driven through Philly once and didn't get off the freeway, so I'll say I've not been there but my perception is very positive. My perception is that due to its history and age, Philadelphia is vibrant and very rich in character.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:07 AM

42 posts, read 105,032 times
I went to Philly when I was in High School with my dad and loved it. I had wished I went with friends, or was 21, but I seriously would move there just based on the vibe I got from it. I honestly know next to nothing about the city, but we stayed in this cute little boat-like house and I'd just walk down the streets to see what was there. I liked the record stores, the coffeeshops, the quaint brick streets, and I even saw this experimental theatre performance that ilterally blew me away. It seems somewhat gritty, which I like. I was there for St. Patrick's day and the bar scene seemed awesome downtown. After getting turned down by many places, we finally found an awesome Irish owner that let me in and drink some ale. Great food in general, and the farmer's market was spectacular. So, yeah, thumbs up from me.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM

23,462 posts, read 44,090,617 times
I think it's a great place to visit, and full of great neighborhoods. Eastern PA is gorgeous, on top of that.

Old 01-20-2010, 11:10 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,230,341 times
DC area resident here.

I have been to Philly 3 times. I realize all big cities have their good parts and bad parts, and depending on what you see can influence your perception of a place. Unfortunately, my experiences in Philly left me with less than a positive view, but I know my experiences don't mean all of the city is this way and I don't write off all of Philly just from what I saw.

First time (20-some years ago), and went into Philly to perform at Club Revival, near Independence Hall. Wasn't there long, one impression was how many abandoned cars there were on the highway, which you don't see along 95 in DC or Baltimore. Even saw people ripping parts off of abandoned cars. Had a good time while there, though.

Second time (1990s) went to a friend's wedding. Not sure what part of Philly we went to, it was at some country club, but we had to drive through parts of town where trash cans set out by the street were knocked over, trash in the streets, and lots of boarded up row houses. This brought to mind the term "Filthadelphia" which I had heard before.

Third time (2005), went to visit someone near Bryn Mawr, then drove down 30 into the city to get onto 95 to come home. Drove by blocks of restaurants, people hanging out, generally a positive vibe. An ok impression, just nothing special to make me want to go back and check it out more.

My sister has visited Philadelphia specifically for tourism, has stayed in the city, and she really likes it.

Old 01-20-2010, 03:14 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,103,496 times
Philly is pretty cool I guess... I always had fun visiting

Old 01-20-2010, 04:50 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,810,197 times
Philly was okay the one time I visited...I had a nice time there. The negative perceptions that I have developed since then have all come from the bad attitudes of some Philly posters on city-data and other sites like it.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:00 PM

1,160 posts, read 2,960,897 times
I personally love Philly. One of my favorite cities. It is just a fun place to be, and it has so much to offer. Also, it has some of the best urban neighborhoods in this country.

Old 01-20-2010, 05:15 PM

2,785 posts, read 6,632,773 times
It will always be home. Philly is a hard city to beat. It has so many qualities. It often gets over looked because of New York of D.C. being so close. People always comment on how dirty it is and the crime. But what big city does not have these problems?

Old 01-20-2010, 07:45 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
I don't understand how the urban myth about crime ever got started. The 1st question always seems to be is it safe? Many cities have higher crime rates then Philly and there always were but they aren't known 1st for their crime problems. How many people about to visit Las Vegas ask "where is it safe to go" but LV is one of the many cities that has more crime than Philly. To me it is one of the mysterys of life.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia