Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 05:04 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,921,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnZ963 View Post
Unless you've got time to kill, I'd avoid commuting from the city. A friend of mine used to drive from the Society Hill section of Philly to Collegeville every day, and it took him at least an hour each way. And the ride home on Friday evenings was brutal. I think sometimes he took Rt. 23 instead of 76 but it was still painful.
I can concur

Old 02-18-2010, 07:47 AM

12 posts, read 24,952 times
Thanks for all the info. What about Manayunk? I hear great things about the area (arts, food, shops, walking, etc.) but wasn't sure if there were houses in my price range (450-500K) and whether the commute would just be killer. Anyone have a sense of the commute time in the morning (say 8am) from Manayunk to Collegeville? Would that be any better or worse than from Conshohocken or Bryn Mawr?

Old 03-07-2010, 06:57 AM

27,215 posts, read 43,910,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unc_spark View Post
Thanks for all the info. What about Manayunk? I hear great things about the area (arts, food, shops, walking, etc.) but wasn't sure if there were houses in my price range (450-500K) and whether the commute would just be killer. Anyone have a sense of the commute time in the morning (say 8am) from Manayunk to Collegeville? Would that be any better or worse than from Conshohocken or Bryn Mawr?
You stated initially that you were looking for a place with 30s-40s professionals and a house with a yard. Manayunk wouldn't fulfill either. Manayunk is made up primarily of former (and current) white frat boys and old mill homes with concrete pads in lieu of grass.

I would agree with the other recommendations of Wayne, followed by Bryn Mawr.

Another great option would be Chestnut Hill, a neighborhood within Philadelphia (extreme NW side). It has a nice downtown with shops/restaurants, good walkability and excellent access to Center City (downtown Philly) via regional rail trains.

Old 03-07-2010, 08:18 AM

2,269 posts, read 7,588,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post

Another great option would be Chestnut Hill, a neighborhood within Philadelphia (extreme NW side). It has a nice downtown with shops/restaurants, good walkability and excellent access to Center City (downtown Philly) via regional rail trains.
Chestnut Hill would mean having to pay the city wage tax (as would Manayunk).

Old 03-07-2010, 05:02 PM

1,030 posts, read 3,415,765 times
I drive this every day. The part that kills me is the 76 part. The 422 part isn't bad at all. E/W. Norriton (Norristown burbs) are the best in terms of proximity. you can get a really nice house, in a nice development, bypass 76 (traffic nightmare) but still have late night train service to/from Philadelphia.

Old 03-08-2010, 01:23 AM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Definitely if you don't WORK in the city, then don't LIVE in the city. The difference in taxes and car insurance alone makes in not worth only living in the city.

Also how often would you honestly and truly go into the city? EVERY weekend, or just now and then? Would you drive in, or ONLY take public transit?

All of the options listed so far are possibilities - depending on what you're truly looking for.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM

12 posts, read 24,952 times
[quote=kyle19125;13190423]You stated initially that you were looking for a place with 30s-40s professionals and a house with a yard. Manayunk wouldn't fulfill either. Manayunk is made up primarily of former (and current) white frat boys and old mill homes with concrete pads in lieu of grass.

Thanks for that - I had no idea that was the demographic for Manayunk! You're right, I would prefer to stay with the info I gave earlier - 30-40's and a yard.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:02 PM

518 posts, read 1,052,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
Chestnut Hill would mean having to pay the city wage tax (as would Manayunk).
Does anyone know the boundary that excludes you from paying this city wage tax? I may be relocating this summer due to GFs job offer in Foxchase.

So I am gathering the wage tax is living withing Philly county? or only the city?

I had a friend who lived in Conshy and worked in the city and had to pay it, so I am only drawing conclusions.

Old 03-10-2010, 07:25 PM

10,612 posts, read 12,126,824 times
Phila city and county are one and the same. Just look at a map to get the boundaries, any part of phila pays wage tax.

IF you only work in the city, and don't also live in the city, you'll pay a lesser amount, but still pay some.
IF you live and work in the city you'll pay the full amount.

Which is why IF you don't work there, it doesn't make sense to LIVE there. Unless you're more than willing to pay high taxes and insurance for amenities, you could get just as well by living a across the street from the city line.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:37 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,999,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
Phila city and county are one and the same. Just look at a map to get the boundaries, any part of phila pays wage tax.

IF you only work in the city, and don't also live in the city, you'll pay a lesser amount, but still pay some.
IF you live and work in the city you'll pay the full amount.

Which is why IF you don't work there, it doesn't make sense to LIVE there. Unless you're more than willing to pay high taxes and insurance for amenities, you could get just as well by living a across the street from the city line.
I assume you mean the PA suburbs because the taxes are pretty high in the New Jersey suburbs as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia