Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2006, 09:22 AM

4 posts, read 16,480 times

Advertisements

Hey, I read your question about where and where not to live. Real quickly since I have to go do school pick-ups, Northeast Philly, Center City, South Philly, and the Northern Liberties are all good. I can come back on later after lunch and let you know exactly where I consider the cut-offs. I would definitely say not North Philly and not West Philly. If I can manage to get on the computer later on today I will do so! Good luck!

<3 Ashley
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2007, 12:46 PM

1 posts, read 4,858 times
hi cynrose, i am conducting research with people considering moving to philadelphia. these discussions will take place in midtown manhattan on thursday 29th in the evening. you will meet with other people who are open to moving to philadelphia and you will definitely learn a lot. to thank you for your time, we are paying each person $125. please call me on my office number 415 388 1515 x202 and i can give you all the details. i look forward to hearing from you and any other people who share your intention. thanks, judith

p.s. we are also holding discussions in philadelphia with people who have recently moved to philadelphia on tuesday 27th in case you know anyone who fits that profile

Old 11-09-2007, 04:20 PM

4 posts, read 12,283 times
Eh, Chestnut Hill is pretty safe if you're smart about things. But it's so... yuppie... haha

Old 11-09-2007, 09:07 PM

1,099 posts, read 4,620,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Airport View Post
Stay out of North Philly and West Philly for sure. Old City is up and coming and kinda "Hip!" (You'd have to make your own opinion!) Chesnut Hill is the Upper East Side of Philly.......so they say! (Correct me if I am wrong!)

Old City up and coming? It "arrived" years ago and is pretty much fully gentrified. Northern Liberties and Fishtown are the "up-and-coming" areas of Philly now. West Philly is mostly fine east of 50th.

Old 11-12-2007, 07:04 AM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Anyone notice that this thread was started last year - July 2006 and that the op hasn't posted on the board at all since August 2006?

Nothing wrong with a conversation being picked up but, well, thought you might want to know....

Old 11-13-2007, 12:05 PM

1 posts, read 4,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by judith wright View Post
hi cynrose, i am conducting research with people considering moving to philadelphia. these discussions will take place in midtown manhattan on thursday 29th in the evening. you will meet with other people who are open to moving to philadelphia and you will definitely learn a lot. to thank you for your time, we are paying each person $125. please call me on my office number 415 388 1515 x202 and i can give you all the details. i look forward to hearing from you and any other people who share your intention. thanks, judith

p.s. we are also holding discussions in philadelphia with people who have recently moved to philadelphia on tuesday 27th in case you know anyone who fits that profile
Hi. I'm a reporter at the Philadelphia Inquirer. May I ask what this meeting on the 29th is for? It might make for an interesting story. Thanks. Melissa

Old 11-15-2007, 04:05 AM

13 posts, read 44,988 times
How about around the area of Rittenhouse Square? Are there any discounts to speak of in this down housing market?

Old 11-16-2007, 10:49 PM

17 posts, read 81,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynRose View Post
Hi.
I bet you're all sick of these questions, but I do need some help.
I currently live in Jersey City, about 5 min from downtown Manhattan and I love it.
However, I am looking to buy property and simply can not afford it in the Jersey City/Hoboken, NYC, Brooklyn area.

I have heard a "buzz" in the art community about Philadelphia and have started looking at property there.
Unfortunately, I don't really have a clear picture of where is safe and where to avoid.

I am looking for some place near public transit, that still has great deals on property (150,000 and below) where I won't get shot at.
I am originally from Hawaii and it is VERY tame there. However, I have never been afraid in NYC.

I have heard from people who live/have lived in Philadelphia that Fishtown is good as well as the Northern Liberties. But I also have heard the North Philadelphia is bad and I believe those places are considered to be in the north. So I am a bit confused. I seem to keep getting mixed messages.

Please, any insights into Philadelphia would help. I will be making a trip next weekend to look at property and I want to know where I should be looking so I don't waste my time.

Thank you!
I grew up in the Jersey City/Union City area, and lived in Philly for a bit. Philly is nothing like New York City. Both cities have their own very unique cultures. At first, it took me some time to get use to the slower pace of life in Philadelphia. Philly has much to offer, and is a beautiful city. However, Philly does have a huge crime problem, so you need to be careful. Even the toughest parts of Jersey City (Greenville, Dunkin Ave, etc...) are not nearly as bad as parts of Philly ( North Phila. and parts of West Philly). Northern Liberties and Fishtown are mostly blue collar neighborhoods,and you should be fine from my experience. However, things change from block to block and neighborhood to neighborhood. Center City is typically the safest, but also much more expensive then other parts of Philly. I lived in the Fairmount section (near the Art Museum) and loved it there. The prices of homes in the Art Museum district, while a bit pricey, are not nearly as bad as Jersey City and Hoboken. Manayunk, Olde City,Center City, Northeast, Fairmount, parts of South Philly, Fishtown, and Northern Liberties are alright. But again, the crime doesn't always just stay in the "bad" neighborhoods. So the closer you get to them(S. Philly, Northern Liberties, Fishtown, University City, etc...are closer to sections of Philly that are less desirable), the more crime there will be. I believe, according to the Morgan Quitno Group, which rates city on how safe they are based on FBI statistics, ranked Philadelphia as the 29th most dangerous city in America for 2007. Newark, NJ was ranked 22nd most dangerous (so you can compare.) Like I said before, Philly is a beautiful city, with plenty to see and do. I love Philly. However, you just need to really pay attention to the neighborhoods you are in (like any city). Hope this hastily written message helps. Good luck...

Old 01-25-2008, 03:54 PM

59 posts, read 253,927 times
Default Welcome to Philly

Northern Liberties is in North Philly and there are muggings, vandilism and shootings that happen there, but at the same time it is a great artist community. Basically enjoy it during the day, be cautious during the night. Fishtown is less dangerous than Northern Liberties but is definetly a white ghetto. Expect mobs of young punks wandering around at night.

Try the Art museum area and or Fairmount. The later of which has gotten a lot safer recently.

Old 02-04-2008, 03:43 PM

5 posts, read 24,815 times
When was the last time you were in Northern Liberties? Artists haven't been able to afford living there for at least 4 years. It is yuppie central.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia