U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 10:51 PM

59 posts, read 235,497 times

Advertisements

I live in Northern Liberties now, there are still artists here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-13-2008, 04:58 PM

29 posts, read 126,369 times
As you can see from my name I do not plan to stay in Fishtown. It is overpriced and there is one woman in particular who has taken over every blog having to do with this area because she is a realtor. Stay away from Fishtown! It is nothing but ________, obnoxious teenagers and people on drugs. This was once known for being an extremely racist area and still is. My African American roommate moved out because she felt uncomfortable getting off the train and walking home.
It has not gotten any nicer since I moved here 5 years ago but prices have gone up. It is a filthy area, check out blogs on all the problems with trash and spray paint. Take a walk around any street and more than likely you will see trash. There are not a lot of young people, just those that have gotten priced out of other areas. If you are considering Fishtown look elsewhere! There are other areas of Philly that are nicer! By the time this area gets better it will take 10 more years. Do you have that long to wait? You cannot buy anything in Fishtown for less than $200,000. If it is cheaper than that it is not in Fishtown and/or it needs work. Do not have a realtor show you around! Get a map and take a trip here. It is not all that everyone makes it out to be.

Last edited by FindingZen; 02-14-2008 at 07:25 AM.. Reason: predjudical comment

Old 02-14-2008, 07:07 AM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
^^damn and all the yuppies are still moving in? lol

i live in queen village and like it quite a bit. it has the "buzz" of south street but not the loitering and vandalism that comes along with it.

Old 02-17-2008, 04:44 PM

25 posts, read 51,605 times
The Roxborough/Manayunk section of Philly is well known and one of the safest neighborhoods in the city. I have lived here my entire life raised 2 kids and looking to retire soon!! Let me know if you have any other questions!! good luck!! Hope this helps!

Old 02-19-2008, 07:35 AM

5 posts, read 24,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRisingSon View Post
I live in Northern Liberties now, there are still artists here.
Yeah, I guess a small handful. I have a friend who has lived there for about 9 or 10 years now. Bought his house completely rehabbed for about $58K. (It makes me sick to think about it.) Every few months he talks about moving because how the neighborhood is no longer what it used to be...he's surrounded by people who can afford $400K-$700K houses and he doesn't identify with those people.

Artists are moving into Old Kensington, K&A, and I don't even know what you'd call it but the area to the East of the Art Museum area. Artists are generally willing to live in the cheapest and least developed areas and "discover" them before the rest of us are willing.

The OP was asking, albeit a long time ago, for places for a $150K house...any realistic suggestions? The idea is to put the OP in neighborhoods that fall in that price range and discuss nice with price in mind. If price were no object, I'd most likely live in Fitler Square or Chestnut Hill. But hey, price it turns out, is usually an object.

Old 02-19-2008, 09:33 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Lightbulb Hey now!

Ironically, here's a recent article about the influx of artists into Philadelphia:

Artistic Nirvana | Philadelphia Inquirer | 02/17/2008 (broken link)

Old 02-21-2008, 12:58 PM

29 posts, read 126,369 times
Contact me if you really want to know about Fishtown. It is the same here as everywhere. No one wants to speak the truth!

Old 02-24-2008, 11:16 AM

37 posts, read 175,046 times
Default houses in philly for under 150k

If you're still looking, try NE Philadelphia, or maybe west germantown (although thats very spotty). S.Philadelphia used to be affordable but not anymore

Old 03-02-2008, 08:55 PM

13 posts, read 34,512 times
i just moved to sc 3 weeks ago from philly. it is a huge difference but thats a different post
i lived in ne philly and worked in northern liberties. the ne has some nice sections and some not-so-nice sections. i would recommend living in the ne (but check out the neighborhood first) as it is very affordable. northern liberties i loved to visit. it is an up & coming neighborhood and the prices of houses and apartments have definitely gone up; however, it is not moving as fast as they predicted. yes, there are some great places to hang out but there are still empty store fronts and shady characters. it is not the most dangerous section but it is very close to some bad neighborhods so crime is still prevelant from the criminals spilling over. i worked some overnight shift in NL and did not feel as safe as i wanted to walking to my car. as a single 30 yr old i would not feel safe living in NL alone...and the same goes for fishtown. probably b/c that is also too close to some bad neighborhoods for my liking. i do like old city and i would feel safe moving there on my own. i have gone to a lot of bars and resaurants in old city and never felt scared walking to my car late at night. hope this helped!

Old 09-04-2008, 03:42 PM

2 posts, read 10,654 times
Check Port Richmond and Bridesburg. It is safe areas provides low cost housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or