Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2010, 08:04 AM

118 posts, read 280,451 times

Advertisements

It's been about 30 years since I bought a home, so I have some basic questions; I can talk to my very nice realtor but wanted to get a general idea first:

Earnest money: How much does that come to these days? Is a certified check OK?

I am sure that earnest money agreements can be tailored to a situation but are most of them standard? I would want the sale of a home to me, to depend upon a satisfactory home inspection, it seems like that would be covered in such an agreement, anyone with experience, is it?

What about a contract that pends on the sale of one's own home? I'm doing some last minute primping, and intend to list my home next week. Appropriately priced homes in my subdivision sell fairly quickly, my realtor said on one home she listed last year she had an offer in 4 days. So is that something commonly covered in such an agreement?

I've read what I could, I realize these questions are basic, and that some of y'all are very experienced, please don't laugh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 11:10 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,041 times
Earnest Money - Varies. Minimum would be $500, normal amount I suggest for my clients is about 1-2% sale price of the home split up into 2 payments, 1st deposit and 2nd. 1st deposit can normally be a personal check, 2nd always has to be certified/cashiers check.

Yes you can put a home inspection clause in which means you can walk away if you aren't satisfied with your inspection and get your deposit back.

You can do a home sale contingency, but it makes you a much less competitive buyer - and if the seller gets another offer while your house is still not sold they will give you the first right of refusal to continue your sale removing your contingency, otherwise have the right to sell to the non-contingent buyer. It's better to have your home under contract before putting an offer in on another home, especially if youre trying to negotiate.

Old 02-01-2010, 09:26 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,078 times
Yeah, the first check is usually $1000. The second check (in combination with the 1st) should equal ~2% of the sale price.

That's how it's done in the city anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia