Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2010, 04:15 PM

2 posts, read 4,371 times

Advertisements

Have been checking apartments to rent in Philly area and seeking info on one apartment in area. Like to know if Market Street West Apartments, 220 11th Street, is a good pleasant area to reside. Appreciate any info from the locals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 05:49 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,740,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy4 View Post
Have been checking apartments to rent in Philly area and seeking info on one apartment in area. Like to know if Market Street West Apartments, 220 11th Street, is a good pleasant area to reside. Appreciate any info from the locals.
It can't be 220 S 11th because that is part of jefferson Hospital so it has to be 220 N 11th in 19107. if you want to use www.maps.live.com (birdseye feature) to take a look. It is on the edge of Chinatown just south of the I-676 Vine St exprwy right next to the Grandview Condo (big white building) which would be your only neighbors. While the neighborhood is perfectly safe it is Chinatown so it is very commercial with many Chinese resturants and grocers and a little bit gritty. It is far from the fancy residential neighborhoods south of Chestnut St so it should have a lower rent. You have to walk to Market St for public transportation and that area of market St (Market East) is also commercial (downscale shopping area, gold and wig stores, KMart etc). The name may be somthing of a red flag. It is no where near Market St and is closer to Market East (downscale) then it is to Market West (the financial district) so who are they trying to fool?

Old 02-08-2010, 06:30 AM

596 posts, read 1,700,404 times
It is 220 South 11th Street, across from Jefferson Hospital, adjacent to Doc Watson's and Saladworks.

After some digging I discovered it's subsidized housing and there are units scattered throughout the neighborhood, not just at this address. It's run by a reputable national property management company. This is a good neighborhood overall with excellent accessability and amenities, but there are some vagrancy/loitering issues in the area which make it seem less safe after dark. Use some common sense while out and about late at night and you'll be fine.

Old 02-08-2010, 09:04 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,740,558 times
OK so forget everything I said. 220 S.11th would be a pretty decent neighborhood (although not the fanciest part of town) It is in the heart of the Wash West area.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:04 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,729,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by handy4 View Post
do you mean 2201 Market St?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 4,371 times
I have to make a correction to my original post.. I'm inquiring about Washington Square West Apartments at 220 South 11th Street, Phila. Wanting to know the neighborhood and what to expect in crime.

Thanks to all for their interest and replies.

Old 02-08-2010, 08:23 PM

596 posts, read 1,700,404 times
Washington Square West is a low crime neighborhood. As with any large city, exercise some common sense and you'll be fine. It's an area largely populated by medical school students at neighboring Thomas Jefferson University School of Medicine, as well as young professionals. It's surrounded by largely caucasian upper middle class residents. The average home price in the area is probably $300-$400K and it's considered a prestigious area of the city in which to live in. I would put it near or at the top of your list.

Old 02-09-2010, 12:24 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,956,602 times
It's a great neighborhood. If you can live there on the cheap go for it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
The average home price in the area is probably $300-$400K and it's considered a prestigious area of the city in which to live in. I would put it near or at the top of your list.
Buying a a 900 s/f expanded trinity in that neighborhood will run you closer to $500k. A one bedroom condo would probably be closer to $350k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
View detailed profiles of: