Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 10:21 AM

711 posts, read 1,511,560 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerania View Post
And thanks for the new chair!

I won't take someone else's spot.

I'm not that young. If someone took my shoveled out spot, I'd probably cry or something. Then I'd call my friend with the plow on his pickup and have the usurper walled in. Seriously, people have heart attacks shoveling. Taking someone's spot is an act of hostility.
I agree with this 100%. I would get my shovel and shovel them back in. If they didn,t like it, well now they will know how it feels to be screwed over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 10:29 AM

5,077 posts, read 14,642,263 times
Look, no one likes having to find parking in the city but, if you live there and you spent an hour shoveling your spot, you darn sure are going to want to save it and I personally see nothing wrong with it. If it any other season and you don't have to content with weather and snow, then it's all bets off. No one is "assigned" a parking spot when you choose to live in the city.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:45 AM

388 posts, read 1,094,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrpriester View Post
Hello friends, just wanted to touch base with you on a subject that is heating up on the Pittsburgh boards. In the city of Pittsburgh, those who have to park on the city streets will place a chair or some other ridiculous object to save their spot when they leave. Those who support this feel if they spent hours shovelling snow off of the spot that they have rights to it. I think it's ridiculous, there are certain facts you have to face when parking on the street.

So does this happen in Philadelphia? If so, do residents respect this?

It happens in PHila too. When I am mayor I will just have the garbage collectors pick up all the garbage in the streets that is being used to save spots.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andreaspercheron View Post
Look, no one likes having to find parking in the city but, if you live there and you spent an hour shoveling your spot, you darn sure are going to want to save it and I personally see nothing wrong with it. If it any other season and you don't have to content with weather and snow, then it's all bets off. No one is "assigned" a parking spot when you choose to live in the city.

Saving spots is bullchit. It has nothing to do with shoveling snow. The hoodrats in Philly try saving spots in the middle of the summer.

If I get up early and shovel the snow around someone elses car does that mean I own that spot and they have to move their car?

If someone does shovel the snow around their car then where do they go when they leave? If they leave are they not going to have to park in a spot that someone else shoveled? Why should their spot sit empty the whole day while they are gone?

When I am running the city I will ticket spot savers and all the people that leave their garbage in the streets. I will also have the garbage collectors pick up all their junk.

Old 02-11-2010, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillrunner View Post
I agree with this 100%. I would get my shovel and shovel them back in. If they didn,t like it, well now they will know how it feels to be screwed over.
I will take the spot in a second.

Last summer when I was down the shore, I had to deal with some idiots in that tried saving a spot when it was 90 degrees. I guess they shoveled the spot last winter. First a Snookie like chick tells me to move. I told her no. Then another guy who was kind of big tells me to move and I told him the same thing. Then some little punk comes out and starts chit. Then they all told me that I better hope nothing happens to my car. I told them their house was worth more than my car and they better hope nothing happens to my car. They chit. THen they called the cops and told the cop that I threatened to damage their house. Then the cop comes and pretty much told the owner that I was parked legally. I was only going to be in the spot for about 15 minutes but I left my car there all day just because the people were douchbags.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:28 AM

203 posts, read 561,717 times
There is a forum in Fairmount discusing this and evidently some cities (Boston or DC?) have a 48 hour rule
You clear it in a snow storm, you have dibs for 2 days or something

Old 02-11-2010, 03:17 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
I seriously thought that was only a Philly thang. Wow never realized it was all over?? lol too funny.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:18 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,876,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post

Last summer when I was down the shore, I had to deal with some idiots in that tried saving a spot when it was 90 degrees. I guess they shoveled the spot last winter. First a Snookie like chick tells me to move. I told her no. Then another guy who was kind of big tells me to move and I told him the same thing. Then some little punk comes out and starts chit. Then they all told me that I better hope nothing happens to my car. I told them their house was worth more than my car and they better hope nothing happens to my car. They chit. THen they called the cops and told the cop that I threatened to damage their house. Then the cop comes and pretty much told the owner that I was parked legally. I was only going to be in the spot for about 15 minutes but I left my car there all day just because the people were douchbags.
too funny.. Screw them. Proud of you not to back down

Old 02-11-2010, 07:35 PM

25 posts, read 37,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post

Lesson here: Don't mess with thekish.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:50 PM

2,932 posts, read 5,420,682 times
Saw this on CraigsList tonight...made me laugh out loud.

RE: Wanted: Chairs/Benches (http://philadelphia.craigslist.org/wan/1594998214.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia