Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 05:53 AM

36 posts, read 227,390 times

Advertisements

Still trying to figure out which area fits us best. I know there are lots of different towns within the school districts, but is it possible to give an overall comparison between the 2 areas? They both work for us distance wise, and they both seem to have good school districts. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2010, 10:18 PM

196 posts, read 572,167 times
We were looking in both Ambler and the Lansdale area and ended up in Lansdale. We did not pick because of school district, but after being here, these are my observations of North Penn....

It is a large district. Positives are that there are many activities and classes for the students. The school size can be a bit overwhelming, but they do as much as possible to create a "school within a school" to help it feel more manageable.

I also like the fact that middle school is 7th, 8th & 9th and the transition to high school is not until 10th grade. I think 9th grade is such a transitional year and to not be thrown into High School is a positive in my eyes. (Kids still participate in High School activities at 9th grade, so you don't miss out on any athletics, etc...)

Our experience at the elementary level is that everything depends upon the teacher you get. I think that is true of most every school district. Luck of the draw....

Good luck!

Old 02-15-2010, 10:25 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,445,822 times
North Penn is probably at least twice the size of Wissahickon. With that there is the whole small fish in the big pond thing, but also more opportunity (lots of AP classes, interesting electives, etc). I know people from North Penn who graduated the same year and don't know each other. Also, North Penn is very good for athletics.

Wissahickon usually has about 300/graduating class so you get to know the fellow classmates well. I don't know how to really describe Wissahickon except that I had a really great experience there. Wissahickon is made up of Blue Bell, Lower Gywnedd (a very wealthy area), Penllyn and Ambler (both have the not-as-great neighborhoods), so you meet people of all backgrounds. I would say that if the size of North Penn intimidates you (and I personally don't think that I would have liked it), Wissahickon would be a great choice. Elementary schools are VERY similar. Sorry I can't help more, but if you have specific questions, I can definitely help you.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:50 PM

36 posts, read 227,390 times
Thank you so much! Your comments were really helpful. It's hard to get a feel for the school districts from just going by test scores. It seems as though most areas of N Penn may be a little too far to commute. I think we are going to focus on Wissihickon or Methacton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia