Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-14-2010, 10:15 AM

3,520 posts, read 9,200,568 times

Advertisements

According to a message posted on the Megabus website (dated 2/11), Megabus will start operating Philadelphia-Washington service on 3/21.

From my point of view, this is really excellent news, and not just because I travel between the two cities on a periodic basis (like yesterday for example). I've long thought there is a pretty decent market for bus service between the two cities, especially considering Amtrak is pretty expensive, but the existing Greyhound service takes too damn long because it makes too many intermediate stops (one or two stops in Baltimore and often one in Wilmington) and I don't want to use an unreliable Chinatown bus line. If the Megabus schedule is extensive enough to give me some options, I'd definitely use Megabus for at least some of my DC-Philly trips (or at least one half of the trip pair). I'm sure other people will use this route too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2010, 11:47 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,954,085 times
Nice! Not that I go to DC that often anymore but it's nice to know that it's out there.

Gotta say though, I like visiting Baltimore, so skipping there en route is disappointing. Even if they just dropped me off at the light rail park & ride i'd be happy.

Old 02-14-2010, 12:21 PM

3,520 posts, read 9,200,568 times
Actually, one of the problems with Megabus service to the Baltimore area is that the stop isn't anywhere near Baltimore - it is at the White Marsh Mall about 10-15 miles east of downtown Baltimore. With BoltBus the stop is next to Baltimore Penn Station, but stopping there that would add serious travel time to a Philadelphia-Washington bus route (and of course BoltBus isn't adding Philadelphia-Washington bus service, or at least they haven't announced it at this time). Heck, even the regular intercity bus stations in Baltimore are in inconvenient locations - the main Greyhound station is about 1 1/2 miles south of downtown (and about 1 mile south of M&T Bank Stadium), not near anything and with limited local bus connections, and the Baltimore Travel Plaza is a good 3-4 miles east of downtown with again (I think) limited local bus connections.

If a Megabus stop in Baltimore were to be added to the planned Philadelphia-Washington route in the future, IMO the best location for it would be on Pratt Street near Paca or Howard Streets, just north of Oriole Park at Camden Yards at the south edge of downtown Baltimore. Such a location would be very close to the Baltimore light rail and within a few blocks walking distance of the Baltimore Metro subway (not to mention many local bus routes). It would also have easy on-off access to I-95. The only challenges would be getting to the drop off/pick up point due to congestion before, during, and after Orioles and Ravens games.

Old 02-14-2010, 02:46 PM

8,968 posts, read 21,050,255 times
I'm happy to hear about this too! I travel back home to Philly from the DC area from time to time and it would be nice to have Megabus as an affordable and comfortable option.

Old 06-24-2010, 03:06 PM

1 posts, read 2,479 times
is there a bus connection to New York or New Jersey from the Ft. Washington Area. My son will be attending school in Ft. washington, PA

Old 06-24-2010, 04:01 PM

10,220 posts, read 16,722,169 times
he could take the train to Philly and catch it at 30th st
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia