Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2010, 08:39 PM

16,259 posts, read 43,195,107 times

Advertisements

As far as historical cities go...would you put Philly on top...and if not, what other city? And why?

Thinking particularly of largely built cities, with a large amount of their buildings still in place, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 11:05 PM

1,623 posts, read 6,528,196 times
I would probably put Boston on top just because of the historical significance of the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere's Ride, etc...great town!

Old 02-24-2010, 11:24 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,780,794 times
I would put Philly on top for the number of historic sights and incidents, certainly more so than Boston.....for what it's worth. Boston was on the sidelines compared to Philly which was at the center of everything.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:18 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Philly is where the nation was born, essentially. For that reason alone, I would put it at the top. Boston certainly has its major contributions as well. Each city has plentiful historic landmarks.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:51 AM

274 posts, read 1,401,155 times
In the US, Philadelphia & Washington, DC are pretty good. World wide, London, & Rome are hard to top.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:01 AM

8,982 posts, read 21,169,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
In the US, Philadelphia & Washington, DC are pretty good.
Oh yeah... I suppose DC has its merits too.

Old 02-25-2010, 04:15 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesixth View Post
In the US, Philadelphia & Washington, DC are pretty good. World wide, London, & Rome are hard to top.
For a Eurocentric worldview, yes. A lot of world history also happened in capitals of Asia and Middle East. I'm not even religious, but I'd think Jerusalem has a ton of history and historical significance stretching out over a long time. New Delhi sits on the site of six older cities with some structures going back a long long time in history and built by locals as well as invaders.

And if you're putting London, why not include Paris? Paris is on par with London on pretty much everything.

Old 02-26-2010, 05:39 AM

324 posts, read 669,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger Beer View Post
As far as historical cities go...would you put Philly on top...and if not, what other city? And why?

Thinking particularly of largely built cities, with a large amount of their buildings still in place, etc.
I believe this topic will be argued forever.

In my opinion, I consider it a four way tie between DC, Philly, NYC and Boston.

Last edited by TheCity; 02-26-2010 at 06:03 AM..

Old 02-26-2010, 07:36 AM

5,725 posts, read 11,716,151 times
Washington didn't really play any significant role until after colonial times, the Revolutionary War, and the adoption of the Constitution. I'd put Boston and Philadelphia as most historical in the US. If we're taking world history, no American city comes close.

Old 02-27-2010, 05:58 AM

22 posts, read 38,792 times
For the sake of argument, if we limit the discussion to American cities several come to my mind (I've limited the list to cities I've actually been to) including Philly, Boston, NYC, DC, Annapolis, Charleston, Savannah, and St. Augustine...

Charleston, and Savannah are obviously older souther towns. Very cool to visit for a northerner looking for that old ante-bellum feel. St. Augustine is fun as well. Its claim to fame is being the oldest settlement in the US. Now the town is very touristy but still worth seeing. While interesting, when talking about historical significance they have a tough time measuring up to other towns up North.

As you head further North into Maryland, Annapolis is a gem of a city. Its downtown area boasts the greatest number of colonial homes in the country as well as the Naval Academy. Also lays claim to being a national capital for a short time. DC is nearby and it significance is fairly clear, however, as others point out, DC was undeveloped during the colonial era and was basically a backwater town until late in the 19th Century.

The meat of the argument is between Philly, NYC, and Boston. To start, Philly is about 60 years younger than both NYC and Boston, however, by the time of the Revolution, it was the largest colonial city. That fact, coupled with its relatively central location made it the easy choice for national conventions. Its use for national conventions is really the only reason its in the argument. However, the significance of those conventions basically vault it to the top. So many of our countries first formative steps were made here.

NYC dates to the 1620s, but the sheer meteoric growth of Manhattan seems to have wiped much of that off the map. Maybe its more a problem of not looking hard enough, or just the exhaustion of the hustle and bustle of the city, but I never found quite as much as you would in Philly or Boston... Boston is easily Philly's biggest rival in this discussion. It was basically the hotbed of revolution, and to this day has kept much more of an older gentrified feel than Philly, but I think its hard to argue with Independence Hall and America's "most historic square mile."

Before I finish I do need to say that being from Philly I'm a bit prejudiced, not only that but I focused my argument squarely on the 18th Century, which not only shortchanges a huge swath of the history of our nation, but also completely takes DC out of the discussion immediately. Theres a hell of a lot of history there, but its just not quite as old. i.e. "I have a dream." However, when taking into account the historical significance of cities in our nation, no one can top (maybe tie) Philadelphia.

Quote:
I would probably put Boston on top just because of the historical significance of the Boston Tea Party, Paul Revere's Ride, etc...great town!
...Significant like say... the Constitutional Convention?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia