Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2010, 08:07 PM

692 posts, read 2,351,041 times

Advertisements

Doylestown is nice but it's a little bit out of the way for travel to NJ/DE etc.. I would try to stay off of I-95 if possible, which would lead me to suggesting Langhorne Newtown or Yardley. Newtown may be tough to find something around 250k but you can find something for 350k. Yardley and Langhorne you could find both, especially if you are open to a town house instead of a single family home? Schools are great in all 3 locations. Access to major roads is as well - and also you'd be within 10 minutes from the turnpike too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2010, 08:37 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ooodsie View Post
Doylestown is nice but it's a little bit out of the way for travel to NJ/DE etc.. I would try to stay off of I-95 if possible, which would lead me to suggesting Langhorne Newtown or Yardley. Newtown may be tough to find something around 250k but you can find something for 350k. Yardley and Langhorne you could find both, especially if you are open to a town house instead of a single family home? Schools are great in all 3 locations. Access to major roads is as well - and also you'd be within 10 minutes from the turnpike too.
In that area don't disreguard Levittown either. The section located in Middletown Townsship (close to business Rt 1) is in the excellent Neshaminy School District and you can get alot more house for your money then other towns. Just stay out of Bristol Township.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 8,531 times
I would agree that the Doylestown area may be a good spot as well as Yardley, PA. You want to be close to I95 and the Turnpike for the trips up and down.

Old 03-08-2010, 09:16 PM

11 posts, read 46,941 times
I wasn't trying to offend anyone who likes there Suburbs zoned for only residential use only. I know many people who prefer it that way, including my parents and one of my best friends. Since the OP was from Iowa, I thought I should describe what the areas he was thinking about moving to were like. He mentioned he wanted somewhere that was fun and what area was best. That is somewhat vague, so I didn't see the harm in talking about the the layouts of the town. I find it really shocking that when someone asks about what places they are thinking about moving to are like, that one shouldn't mention the layouts of the towns. Some people prefer walkable dowtowns, some people hate them, but the more information someone has on various areas the better.

I've only been to Iowa once, so I really have no idea what it is like, and if he would be surprised by what the Lehigh Valley is like. I had a cousin visit the Lehigh Valley for the firs time and he was shocked by how there was nothing you walk to where my parents live. The main thing that makes the Lehigh Valley different from the Main Line is the the manner in which the towns are constructed.

As for why some people on this board think a walkable downtown is important, True, some shopping will be done at big box retailers and malls. But what about a walk to movie theatre, the Library, bars, cafes, video store, farmers market, pizzia place, ect. Also, I having lived in the Philly Suburbs for three years, I can say that most people I knew took advantage of the train to do fun things in the city. Some people prefer more space/ and to drive everywhere. Whatever, that's fine, but I do think its a difference worth mentioning, especially to someone who is from a different part of the country.

Oh, and a couple cool things I neglected to mention about the LV. There is actually some pretty cool stuff here going on in the Summer that you won't find everywhere. A minor league baseball team(AAA-Phillies in a brand new stadium), Musikfest(a music festival with mostly free music in Bethlehem), Dorney Park(a decent sized amusement park), and the Great Allentown fair, one of the oldest in the country.

The Lehigh Valley to Philly is about an hour without traffic.

Last edited by omachoomar; 03-08-2010 at 09:46 PM..

Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 AM

548 posts, read 2,015,686 times
I think it also depends on the "vibe" that you are looking for. If you want to live near a big city like Philly, then yes check out some places near 476 and 276 (Plymouth Meeting, Ambler, maybe Collegeville).

if you are from rural Iowa and would like more space and are OK with a more "remote" location, then check out Lehigh Valley's fringe areas. You'll get more for your $$$ there too.

Old 03-09-2010, 06:44 AM

6 posts, read 39,092 times
97 reasons to visit philly

YouTube - 97 Reasons to Visit Philly

Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryson662001 View Post
I think it is really curious the number of people who post here who feel a walkable downtown is important. What's the point, so you can pretend you live in the city? Most of your shopping will be at the mall, supermarket, big box strip centers where you must drive anyway. Who needs a walkable downtown in the suburbs? It is like being near a train. Most sububanites don't even go to the city unless they work there and when they do they prefer to drive. To the OP I would just pull out a map and look for an area central to where you will be traveling and close to a highway intersection.

Is that like people who live in the city trying to pretend that they live in a neat, clean, safe, suburban neighborhood with good schools?

Old 03-09-2010, 06:05 PM

3,391 posts, read 8,777,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thekish View Post
Is that like people who live in the city trying to pretend that they live in a neat, clean, safe, suburban neighborhood with good schools?
It's hard to say. There seem to be more people here in this forum who would like to live in the city but for whatever reason they can't so they appreciate a suburb that reminds them of the city. On the other hand the people who live in the city and say everything is wonderful are just in denial.

Old 03-10-2010, 01:00 AM

10,611 posts, read 12,120,139 times
Quote:
Quote:Originally Posted by bryson662001
I think it is really curious the number of people who post here who feel a walkable downtown is important. What's the point, so you can pretend you live in the city? Most of your shopping will be at the mall, supermarket, big box strip centers where you must drive anyway. Who needs a walkable downtown in the suburbs? It is like being near a train. Most sububanites don't even go to the city unless they work there and when they do they prefer to drive. To the OP I would just pull out a map and look for an area central to where you will be traveling and close to a highway intersection.
That's what I was thinking too. I don't get it either.

Are the 'walkable' retail areas of towns on the Main Line like Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Bala, Narbeth, and Wynwood nice? Yes.
Do the locals appreciate those shops? Yes.

But I do get your point. Unless you really are only blocks away, you still need a car to get THERE.

Old 03-10-2010, 08:21 AM

11 posts, read 46,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by selhars View Post
That's what I was thinking too. I don't get it either.

Are the 'walkable' retail areas of towns on the Main Line like Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, Bala, Narbeth, and Wynwood nice? Yes.
Do the locals appreciate those shops? Yes.

But I do get your point. Unless you really are only blocks away, you still need a car to get THERE.
Ardmore, Bryn Mawr, and Narberth, are pretty small, so pretty much everyone who lives there can walk to the main street. There are some people in Bry Mawr who can't(those towards Gladywyne), where there are some monstrous mansions, but those are people who wanted a mansion far away from things. I would estimate most residents of these towns can and do walk to the lancaster avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia