Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-12-2010, 04:16 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times

Advertisements

Penn DOT / Septa / Amtrak need to fix & address these bridges along the R5 Thorndale Route. As you can see there old , too low and Dangerous at night. This is one of a few i face going to my ant's farm outside of Thorndale. This is one of the better ones , there are ones that are on curves , blind curve 1 lane underpasses and a few heavily congested ones. There are only a few Alts and sometimes you have to drive miles out of your way to get to one.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 09:43 AM

15 posts, read 56,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nexis4Jersey View Post
So as alot or some of you know there is some Septa Expansion projects set to happen or the next 10-20 years. I'll list some of the Projects and you can give your input on them.

1. Septa Car replacement (10% done)
2. Expansion on the R6 to Reading
3. Restoration of the Newtown line
4. Restoration of the line to Bethlehem and Allentown
5. Broad Street Subway Extension
6. Norristown spur to King of Prussia
7. Restoration of a few Trolly lines in Philly
8. Possible old planned cross - county Metro between Exton and West Trenton
9. Proposed Greenline between Paoli Transit Center and Oaks Park
10. Proposed line to New Hope

I do see a majority of these happening over the next 10-15 years and 20 at the max. The people of SE are very progress and seem to understand that more Transit and Rail is the future.
Given the economic health of the country and region I would be surprised to see 1/4 of these even break ground in the next 20 years...

Old 05-14-2010, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfoldno7 View Post
I'll say this much. Rail transportation out to Phoenixville and Pottstown needs to happen. 422 is never fun and 76 is an absolute nightmare most days. I'm not convinced a simple R6 extension is going to be a viable option because the estimated duration of an all local trip from Phoenixville into Suburban station is going to be essentially the same as it currently takes to drive it. There either need to be viable express options during peak commute times or no one is going to use it.

The 422 corridor is absolutely begging for an alternative to driving. If SEPTA can create an rail line that cuts down on the commute time ridership from this area will be out of this world. Chester County transportation infrastructure is sorely lagging behind the population boom of the area.
The problem is ... how do you get to your office building etc that is 3 miles away from the train system? This is America... we need more lanes on the highways...

Old 05-14-2010, 03:13 PM

12,380 posts, read 26,853,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paregboy View Post
Given the economic health of the country and region I would be surprised to see 1/4 of these even break ground in the next 20 years...
Stimlus money and other things will pay for that.....even though the I-80 tolls didn't go through they might throw a toll on somewhere else.

Quote:
The problem is ... how do you get to your office building etc that is 3 miles away from the train system? This is America... we need more lanes on the highways...
Shuttles , alot of employers have shuttles to and form the train station. More lanes have been proven to not work and encourage more driving. The American Highway expansions are over , The Mass Transit / Railway Restoration and expansion has begun. + people aren't as warm to New Highways as they used to be and they cost more then Railways or Transit. Transit also encourages healthier living and less sprawl.

Old 05-14-2010, 04:27 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,567,337 times
Quote:
Stimlus money and other things will pay for that.....even though the I-80 tolls didn't go through they might throw a toll on somewhere else.
The stimulus money has to come from somewhere though. We can't keep having multiple stimuli, we simply can't afford it. However, what I do see happening is as the old suburban sprawl lifestyle gradually gets less and less return for the investments put into it you'll see a shift in funding towards the city and mass transit. This is already clearly evident, people on this board have even said that adding new lanes can't alleviate the problems on the highways, if there was even the room to do so. Once more people make the shift and demand the change then you'll see the money start going somewhere else. The biggest problem mass transit has now is that whenever it wants a project to get done it needs to help there's some extra money that can be thrown its way. Right now it is unrealistic to expect any of the aforementioned projects to get done, because we cannot get the extra money. But when we don't need the extra money, when the money we get was just shifted over from somewhere else, when we see the priorities of transportation in the US change, then you'll see all this and more get done. I don't know when that will happen, it has largely to do on the attitude of the people and what they want, so it could take a very long time or it could happen tomorrow. I don't know. I'm not people.

Old 05-24-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:

Shuttles , alot of employers have shuttles to and form the train station. More lanes have been proven to not work and encourage more driving. The American Highway expansions are over , The Mass Transit / Railway Restoration and expansion has begun. + people aren't as warm to New Highways as they used to be and they cost more then Railways or Transit. Transit also encourages healthier living and less sprawl.
I would be willing to bet you some tokens on the frankford L that this will not happen. You know that stimulus money comes from the taxpayer right? Obama is gonna be a 1 and done deal, he spent so much money off the bat with nothing to show for it..
While some might find that nice, it makes no sense to me.. I would rather get in my car and drive somewhere instead of relying on public trans...

Old 05-24-2010, 11:58 AM

20 posts, read 79,105 times
Quote:

Where does the stimulus money come from? Do you just print it?

Old 05-24-2010, 12:00 PM

Quote:
I would be willing to bet you some tokens on the frankford L that this will not happen. You know that stimulus money comes from the taxpayer right? Obama is gonna be a 1 and done deal, he spent so much money off the bat with nothing to show for it..
While some might find that nice, it makes no sense to me.. I would rather get in my car and drive somewhere instead of relying on public trans...

Wait until gas hits $10 a gallon.

Old 05-24-2010, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maximus1 View Post
Wait until gas hits $10 a gallon.
not gonna happen.....

Old 05-24-2010, 12:33 PM

Quote:
not gonna happen.....

Do you want to bet? Gas went from under quarter to $1 to $2 to over $4. In one summer it went from $2 to $4. It is just a matter of time before has hits $10.

PS. There is a town in Alaska where gas is $9 right now.

Last edited by maximus1; 05-24-2010 at 12:49 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia