U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2007, 10:53 AM

3 posts, read 11,721 times

Advertisements

My fiance and I will be moving from WI to Horsham area in the coming months. His job is in Horsham, and I don't have one yet. We'd like to commute no more than 20-25 minutes (less is better). Bonuses go to being near recreational trails and possibly a train station.

Any suggestions? I've looked at Craigslist and saw a number of 2 BR apts in our price range ($800-1000) in Abington. Is this a good area? Any other suggestions for places that won't make us house poor? Any places to stay away from? If you have suggestions for reputable rental companies, I would appreciate that info as well.

Any suggestions will be helpful. We'll only be renting for a year, so we just need a place to get us by until we purchase a home.
Thanks!

Last edited by fromWI; 06-04-2007 at 10:54 AM.. Reason: want to clarify info
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2007, 11:27 AM

640 posts, read 2,978,903 times
IMHO I believe the locals use local newspapers more than Craigslist to advertise. Are you making a trip there before you move? There is a weekly newspaper called The Public Spirit and a daily newspaper called The Intellegencer that most local people use to advertise. Also, try phillyburbs.com.

I've lived in this area on and off for the past 35 years and know it pretty well. Why not rent a condo or townhome right in Horsham? There are a lot of them there. I worked in Horsham myself for many years and most of the people I worked with lived in the immediate area or in the surrounding communities going north up to Doylestown. Warrington, Chalfont, Buckingham, Doylestown, Montgomeryville, North Wales and Lansdale. These communities are where a lot of the folks in Willow Grove, Abington, Roslyn areas "move up" to. The areas near Abington are older and tend to have more spotty neighborhoods with more crime because it's very close to Philadelphia. This is why the rent is cheaper in these areas. Don't get me wrong though there are some lovely areas surrounding Abington.

Good luck in your search and feel free to PM me if you want any other information.

Old 06-04-2007, 05:19 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,577,036 times
Horsham
North Wales
Ambler
Fort Washington
Lafayette Hill would all be excellent choices

Philadelphia Metro Apartments for Rent - Find Philadelphia Metro, PA Apartment Rentals

Heres a link to the Wissahickon Gorge which is an incredible recreation area in the NW corner of Philadlephia's fabulous Chestnut Hill neighborhood. About 10 miles from Horsham.

Friends of the Wissahickon is dedicated to maintaining Philadelphia’s Wissahickon Valley Park
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia