U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2010, 11:26 AM

1 posts, read 3,775 times

Advertisements

We are relocating due to my hubby's new job. He will be working near Collegeville,PA. We have three small children so want the best school districts and good safe neighborhoods. Bucks county, Malvern, T/E, Lower Merion have been suggested but I am not sure which schools and which townships we should be looking into. Please help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 08:36 PM

4,927 posts, read 13,464,139 times
Both areas are excellent recommendations.

I'm not that familiar with Bucks other than the schools are highly acclaimed and they have some very nice towns like Doylestown,Newtown,Yardley,New Hope. Hopefully someone can help you further with Bucks.

I can vouch for T-E, Lower Merion,Radnor,and Great Valley(Malvern) The first 3 regarded as the best school districts in the entire Philly area.

You may want to research Main Line PA which encompasses all of the below school districts and towns.

Lower Merion School District

Towns include

Wynnewood
Narberth
Ardmore
Bryn Mawr
Haverford
Rosemont
Villanova
Penn Valley
Gladwyne- Wealthiest town in Pa.

Radnor School District

Radnor
Ithan
St Davids
Wayne

Tredyffrin -Easttown #1 ranked school district in Philadlephia area-Philadelphia Magazine 2008.

Malvern
Chesterbrook
Devon
Berwyn
Strafford
Wayne
Radnor
Paoli
Daylesford

Great Valley

Charlestown
East Whiteland
Malvern
Willistown Township
Malvern borough

Good Luck.

Old 12-17-2016, 09:24 AM

47 posts, read 49,028 times
Bump

I am also moving from D.C. Area to Collegeville and have a young family.

Can you tell me where you ended up at and how it materialized

Old 12-17-2016, 11:33 AM

2,130 posts, read 4,671,554 times
You can live near Collegeville for less than the Main Line communities Rainrock mentioned above. Check out the following school districts: Methacton, Perkiomen Valley, and Spring Ford in Montgomery County, and Phoenixville or Great Valley in Chester County, among others. If you need occasional train access into Philadelphia, check out the Colonial or Wissahickin School Districts in Montgomery County. I live in the Collegeville area. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Old 12-17-2016, 05:22 PM

47 posts, read 49,028 times
Thank you very much. I have decided to come for a visit to check places like Madison Providence and others at Phoneoxville this week.

To get more details: //www.city-data.com/forum/phila...-d-c-area.html

Thanks again

Old 12-18-2016, 11:37 PM

15,832 posts, read 9,945,835 times
Collegeville is home to Ursinus College -- a private liberal arts college with an excellent reputation; closest parallel I can think of is Bucknell, at Lewisburg -- about 100 miles upstate.

https://www.ursinus.edu/

Old 12-26-2016, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 1,574 times
Default I relocated in July 2015

I would tell you that the location is great if you want a beautiful surroundings, access to major league teams that you can get tickets for and afford. philly is almost as good as SF for access to good restaurants and abig city. If you want bigger NYC is just a short train ride away.
Not sure where you will work, but college ills is definitely a nice location for younger families. phoeniville schools are great. In hindsight, I wish we had moved there.
I live in Wayne and my kids attend private school. You will find many people have lived here for generations, so they have long standing friendships. While they are o the surface friendly, I would say they do not tend to be all that inviting to newcomers. I have really tried, such as volunteering at school, but have been turned down or away. I think my location tends to be more established money, so they tend to beabit more closed circle. thankfully, I have made friends with some of the other new families, so it has not been as lonely, but it definitely took a lot of work to find other newbies.
SF Bay Area is a huge me.ting pot, so there is,ore diversity and inclusiveness. I joined a Catholic Church, but am looking for an alternative, as this one is just not the place for me. I would welcome a recommendation along the Maine line. Hopefully catholic, but would consider other Christian churches at this point. I was very involved in both school and church back in California.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>