Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2010, 04:11 PM

32,931 posts, read 36,341,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankgn87 View Post
yea? Whats was the old pheonomenon called? I was a 48 year resident of Philly and it never happened before like that.. It was most certainly not the same as when you were a kid. Did you know they killed a person the last flash mob attack? Animals.

Did you act like this solibs?

Another flash mob rocks South Street | Philadelphia Daily News | 03/22/2010 (http://www.philly.com/dailynews/local/20100322_Another_flash_mob_rocks_South_Street__In_ the__tsunami___chants_of__Burn_the_city__.html - broken link)
They were a bit different back in the Paleolithic Period, (drop flash) but they did happen.

Flash mobs used to be fun and funny; now they're thinly disguised looting and mayhem disasters.

They won't keep me out of the city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2010, 05:23 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApartmentNomad View Post
Obviously you don't know your history. There were riots in North Philadelphia, at the very least.
When and where. I was born in North Philly and I was a Police officer there from 68-83
I'd sure like to know about these riots

Old 03-23-2010, 06:28 PM

5,725 posts, read 11,713,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
When and where. I was born in North Philly and I was a Police officer there from 68-83
I'd sure like to know about these riots
Ask and you shall receive: from Time magazine

Old 03-23-2010, 06:31 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post
Not above admitting I was wrong, I was in Vietnam then and didn't hear about it. I stand corrected

Old 03-23-2010, 08:45 PM

21 posts, read 64,064 times
Lightbulb Just restrict travel on the subways; they'll just destroy their own neighborhoods.

I've definitely been witness to this mobbery; they happen in W.Phila quite often. But here the police are in full force around Penn (of course)... It's the same old "teen" this and that gangs, but with the advent of newer, faster, more private technology; teens can collude and gather in near stealth, right up until the event...

I agree there's a racial issue def pertinent; do you seriously think if it was a bunch of white, Hispanic, or another group lighter-shade ethnic kids, that all the renters/biz owners/consumers (+90% Caucasian/"white" complexion) would be in such "fear," or perusing harsher actions? This reverse scenario is IMPOSSIBLE! Blacks ARE the poorest minority in the urban-city regions BECAUSE of racial policies dating back to blah blah, yeah yeah, ya don't wanna hear it... It's not b/c "blacks" are savages or innate "animals," it's bc of the socio-economic divide and the pressure-cooker climate from which they live in, that influences them to lash out against at the source (their perception) "whites."

I, with my mixed lineage, and "peanut butter" skin get ridiculed MORE than many whites even have a clue about. They mock, talk crap, call me out for being at, and around Penn. B/c I dress respectfully, speak properly etc., I'm a "sellout," "tap-dancer," "Uncle Tom..." The hatred for ME is 2x what whites complain about. I'm the "whitey, race-traitor" to nearly all of these "animals." So get clued in please; your "race" isn't the only one that's singled out by these clowns.

Come on, middle-class and beyond whites don't want a thing to do with "blacks," nor anyone else that's not of their same class/creed/religion etc. I'm mixed and have seen and heard both sides of the argument time and time again. I'm not going to side with "blacks" by default, nor with "whites" b/c I'm "educated" and of a higher class than the typical "minority" in the city (if I'm allowed by whites lol, b/c even though I'm over 1/2 white, I'm not "true" white... GTFO).

This a bunch of well-to-do/"middle-class" whites all up in arms about it and the city is starting to take arms. If it were a lighter shade of the bunch, I'd suspect the whole "fear" and fake outrage would be deluded with passive and blow-off statements such as, "well they are just teens," "youthful indiscretion..." all of the whimsically applied titles to trouble making white teens Vs the juvenile sentences applied (that's a legal fact, google it) to minorities... Blah blah "You blacks are always complaining about rights, this and that..." Yeah there's a documented and historically backed legal precedence, which bolsters this. "Whites" and the like are simply tired of hearing/dealing with it. They just want to live their merry lives, while everyone else still juggles with the obvious economic imbalance WHICH CREATED the majority of ghettos and squaller from which many of these youths stem from and eventually become prisoners of. So what do you expect with time, pressure, tension, discrimination and mix of technology? OF COURSE things like this are going to be a strong possibility when the areas that these youths come from are near war-zones. They don't know how to act in their own environment b/c their "parent(s)" is/are just as deluded, uneducated and irresponsible.

The ease of travel makes this even more possible; in less rural regions, these kinds of "invasions" are prevented by a geographical distance buffer; aka it takes too much time and money to get to places where they can cause trouble.

Same old hat and shoes, song and dance. Boooo hooo.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:36 AM

388 posts, read 1,094,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maf763 View Post

That is a one time event an it happened 40 years ago. Where is the story about riots in the burbs?

THere is one correlation to the N. Philly riot and the flash mob but you will have to do the math.

Old 03-24-2010, 11:43 AM

Moderator Cut

Did you see the story in the INKY about the lady from the burbs who had her sister and kids in town from Connecticut? They decided to go the S. Street for ice cream. They turned on to S. Street and they could not get off becuse of traffic. The lady was quoted as saying, "she thought they were going to die."

Here is another story about the flash mob trial. The problem is obvious.
More teens convicted; mom disrupts court | Philadelphia Daily News | 03/24/2010 (http://www.philly.com/philly/news/homepage/20100324_More_teens_convicted__mom_disrupts_court. html - broken link)

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-24-2010 at 12:34 PM.. Reason: edited out deleted post

Old 03-24-2010, 12:58 PM

4 posts, read 8,693 times
We never did that sort of thing when we got out of school and went to the Gallery, i think it's a shame that young people can get so out of control and not realize that for every action you'll receive a reaction. In this instance they will have to suffer the consequences. Parents need to take responsiblity for their children, I understand what some of the working parents may go through, but for the others who are null and void; they should be punished as well. This is probably just a phase and unfortunately this city has alread had a tainted image, let's not forget "killadelphia".

Old 03-24-2010, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by V12V12 View Post
I've definitely been witness to this mobbery; they happen in W.Phila quite often. But here the police are in full force around Penn (of course)... It's the same old "teen" this and that gangs, but with the advent of newer, faster, more private technology; teens can collude and gather in near stealth, right up until the event...

I agree there's a racial issue def pertinent; do you seriously think if it was a bunch of white, Hispanic, or another group lighter-shade ethnic kids, that all the renters/biz owners/consumers (+90% Caucasian/"white" complexion) would be in such "fear," or perusing harsher actions? This reverse scenario is IMPOSSIBLE! Blacks ARE the poorest minority in the urban-city regions BECAUSE of racial policies dating back to blah blah, yeah yeah, ya don't wanna hear it... It's not b/c "blacks" are savages or innate "animals," it's bc of the socio-economic divide and the pressure-cooker climate from which they live in, that influences them to lash out against at the source (their perception) "whites."

I, with my mixed lineage, and "peanut butter" skin get ridiculed MORE than many whites even have a clue about. They mock, talk crap, call me out for being at, and around Penn. B/c I dress respectfully, speak properly etc., I'm a "sellout," "tap-dancer," "Uncle Tom..." The hatred for ME is 2x what whites complain about. I'm the "whitey, race-traitor" to nearly all of these "animals." So get clued in please; your "race" isn't the only one that's singled out by these clowns.

Come on, middle-class and beyond whites don't want a thing to do with "blacks," nor anyone else that's not of their same class/creed/religion etc. I'm mixed and have seen and heard both sides of the argument time and time again. I'm not going to side with "blacks" by default, nor with "whites" b/c I'm "educated" and of a higher class than the typical "minority" in the city (if I'm allowed by whites lol, b/c even though I'm over 1/2 white, I'm not "true" white... GTFO).

This a bunch of well-to-do/"middle-class" whites all up in arms about it and the city is starting to take arms. If it were a lighter shade of the bunch, I'd suspect the whole "fear" and fake outrage would be deluded with passive and blow-off statements such as, "well they are just teens," "youthful indiscretion..." all of the whimsically applied titles to trouble making white teens Vs the juvenile sentences applied (that's a legal fact, google it) to minorities... Blah blah "You blacks are always complaining about rights, this and that..." Yeah there's a documented and historically backed legal precedence, which bolsters this. "Whites" and the like are simply tired of hearing/dealing with it. They just want to live their merry lives, while everyone else still juggles with the obvious economic imbalance WHICH CREATED the majority of ghettos and squaller from which many of these youths stem from and eventually become prisoners of. So what do you expect with time, pressure, tension, discrimination and mix of technology? OF COURSE things like this are going to be a strong possibility when the areas that these youths come from are near war-zones. They don't know how to act in their own environment b/c their "parent(s)" is/are just as deluded, uneducated and irresponsible.

The ease of travel makes this even more possible; in less rural regions, these kinds of "invasions" are prevented by a geographical distance buffer; aka it takes too much time and money to get to places where they can cause trouble.

Same old hat and shoes, song and dance. Boooo hooo.

You have issues. I suggest you seek counseling.

Old 03-24-2010, 09:52 PM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by V12V12 View Post
This a bunch of well-to-do/"middle-class" whites all up in arms about it and the city is starting to take arms. If it were a lighter shade of the bunch, I'd suspect the whole "fear" and fake outrage would be deluded with passive and blow-off statements such as, "well they are just teens," "youthful indiscretion..." all of the whimsically applied titles to trouble making white teens Vs the juvenile sentences applied (that's a legal fact, google it) to minorities...
Please.

You mean like back a couple of years ago when there was all that trouble on South St. for Mardi Gras and DiCicco was on TV talking about how they were going to throw the book at "these suburban kids from Washington Twp. who think they can come over here and wreck our city . . . " Those kids being a large number of people arrested in the rioting.

Yeah, GTFO is right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia