Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-26-2010, 07:52 AM

3 posts, read 10,331 times

Advertisements

Hello, my husband and I are relocating to Philly with our six-month baby and are seriously considering moving to the main line area. I barely know anything about the Philadelphia suburbs but spent two days there recently looking at Bucks Co. and the Main Line area. I definitley feel like we would fit in in the main line better - I love walking with my dog and/or baby. I love coffee shops, yoga classes and being involved in the community and I definitely felt like the town of Wayne had a very community feel. Unfortunately, from what we see on line, buying a home in Wayne is a little bit out of our price range, but can you suggest surrounding towns that are a little bit more affordable (where we could live and I could still be get involved with the community and meet other people)? Is this area easy to move into or are the residents mostly very established? Also, how is the commute to Bucks County (Trevose)? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2010, 09:38 AM

8,983 posts, read 21,119,364 times
This recent thread might be a good start:

//www.city-data.com/forum/phila...owns-main.html

What is your preferred price range?

A commute to Trevose from the Main Line would be a bear. Using Ardmore, a relatively affordable town that's towards the eastern end of the Main Line, it would take about 45 minutes to get to Trevose via the PA Turnpike. The reality will probably be longer than that.

While I'm not a Detroit metro expert by any stretch, I suspect that if you're looking for another Royal Oak that is convenient to Trevose, you'll have a better shot in Yardley, or maybe Doylestown. (I'm tempted to say Newtown too but I'm not really sure.)

Last edited by FindingZen; 03-26-2010 at 09:48 AM..

Old 03-26-2010, 05:49 PM

3 posts, read 10,331 times
Thank you for the info on the commute!! We were hoping to spend closer to $500K than $7-800K. Can you tell me about the towns of Rosemont or Haverford? Also, do you know anything about Ambler? We looked at Doylestown and Newtown shortly but maybe we should spend more time there. The towns on the mainline felt the most familiar and friendly to us, but we will expand our search. Thank you!

Old 03-27-2010, 08:00 AM

4,927 posts, read 14,188,744 times
If you are still leaning towards the Main Line you may consider Narberth,Ardmore,Wynnewood,Merion,Bala Cynwd the towns that make up the south/south-eastern portion of The Main Line. They are all a bit closer to Trevose compared to Wayne Rosemont Haverford. The towns along the Main line are pretty indistinguisable they pretty much meld together except for the big estates on the NE side of the R-5 tracks.

Just throwing some other ideas out there closer to Trevose. Ambler,Horsham,Glenside,Jenkintown. Chestnut Hill is awesome but its in Philadephia County which means you would be subject to a 4% wage tax, its worth checking out though.CH is constantly getting national acclaim for its well kept design. Doylestown is a little far out but thats a great town as well.

Good luck.

Lower Merion Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The Shops and Restaurants of Chestnut Hill

Old 03-27-2010, 08:47 AM

2,932 posts, read 5,409,989 times
Ack...the commute to Trevose from the Main Line is going to be a tough one. Check these areas out on a map, and you'll see they're not even close to each other. Why not look into Richboro or Newtown (Bucks County)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia