Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 AM

4 posts, read 16,650 times

Advertisements

I have been living in Germany for over 17 years and have had enough. I need to go home (yes I am American). Due to marital issues I will be moving back with basically a rucksack and my car. I accepted a job at the Naval Support Activity in Philly and would like a place that is in walking/bicycling distance of 700 Robbins Ave. Due to money constraints () I will ive in a cardboard box if the neighborhood is fairly safe.
When are you moving?
Mid may 2010
Where are you coming from?
Germany (DoD Employee)
Why are you moving?
New Job
Where will you be working?
Naval Support Activity
Have you been here yet?
No. Born at Fort Dix a looooong time ago
Will you buy or rent?
Rent
If renting, are you looking for an apartment, a townhouse or loft?
I am looking for a studio or one bedroom apartment
How much can you spend?
$500-750
Do you prefer hi-rise or walk up?
Either is fine
Are you married or single? Do you have children?
Separated
Do you have pets?
No
Do you want or need a yard?
No
Are you keeping a car?
Yes
Do you prefer bustling activity or calm and quiet?
Prefer calm when my door is shut. Outside can be anything but I really like quiet inside.
What do you want to be closest to?
Work (Naval Support Activity)
Do you want to live with people of a similar age, race, religion or sexual preference or do you prefer a diverse neighborhood?
I could really care less just as long as it is fairly safe the neighborhood could martians for all I care.
Coke or Pepsi?
Oooo. A toughy. I like mountain dew...the soda
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2010, 07:21 AM

119 posts, read 610,893 times
For what you want to spend you shouldn't have a problem finding a rental close by.But I hate to brake the news to ya,that neighborhood has taken a sh*t in a major way.If your looking for a cheap place just so you can get back on your feet then you'll be fine.Just try to not be in that neighborhood to long it in no way resembles what it was 20 years ago.Good luck.

Old 03-28-2010, 12:51 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,776,627 times
vic is right. Move up further in NE philly if you have to stay IN the city or bucks or Huntington valley if you don't have to say in the city.

Old 03-28-2010, 01:07 PM

Where is further up in NE Philly? Is there some demarcation line? I really would like to be able to walk or bike to work. Is the area around NSA such a "bad" neighborhood? I do not intend on spending the rest of my life in Philly but a year or two seems realistic.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman19602002 View Post
Where is further up in NE Philly? Is there some demarcation line? I really would like to be able to walk or bike to work. Is the area around NSA such a "bad" neighborhood? I do not intend on spending the rest of my life in Philly but a year or two seems realistic.

Walking distance is out of the question around there.I'm not trying to scare you or any thing,
I mean if your a single guy and won't have any kids living with you,you'll be fine.It's just not a NICE neighborhood any more.The N.E. is in a weird state right now.No longer are whole neighborhoods good,it's really starting to turn into pockets of area's.

Like my area,I'm in the west Mayfair/Holmesburg neighborhood.Some parts are really very nice,quite and clean with big houses and some other parts not so much.

Being your limiting yourself to walking and or biking you don't have many options,plus your limited buy what you want to spend,it won't get you much.

Old 03-28-2010, 03:22 PM

3,209 posts, read 4,591,573 times
Is Rhawnhurst still solid? That area might be your ticket. Also, try Port Richmond below Aramingo.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shizzles View Post
Is Rhawnhurst still solid? That area might be your ticket. Also, try Port Richmond below Aramingo.

Parts of Rhawnhurst are still nice,same for Port Richmond,I like the nice parts of RhawnHurst better then Port Richmond,but neither are really in walking distance or a bike ride for that matter.Well you could ride your bike when the weather is nice but that would get real old real quick.

Old 03-28-2010, 06:27 PM

7,780 posts, read 21,776,627 times
Rhawnhurst is still nice for the most the part. Port Richmond is to far by bike. I would recommend mayfair too.

Old 03-28-2010, 10:51 PM

Rhawnhurst seems like a good option. I agree that Port Richmond is too far...however what about Bustleton or Blue Grass?

Old 03-29-2010, 05:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by techman19602002 View Post
Rhawnhurst seems like a good option. I agree that Port Richmond is too far...however what about Bustleton or Blue Grass?

Those areas are mostly fine but there a bit far for your bike ride(IMO)If you own a car it's a really short drive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia