Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2010, 10:23 PM

3 posts, read 11,598 times

Advertisements

Hello Philadelphia,
I am a 36-year old white male with Polish immigrant background looking for nice neighborhood to settle in in Philadelphia. I just got a job as a chemist with a big oil company, and I was looking to stay with the job for a while. I would like to buy a house in a nice, quiet neighborhood, but one that is in the city and doesn't feel depressing like many of the suburbs do. I speak Polish at home, and me and my wife are looking to have kids within a year or two, and we would like to put them in a good school (and we will send them to a Catholic school if the public ones don't work). I asked from friends in the area about nice neighborhoods, and they recommended Port Richmond and Bridesburg, both of which I know have a lot of Poles. I took a drive through the area and they both seem pleasant, and they are a bit different between themselves- Port Richmond seems to be more alive, and seems to have plenty of alively commercial strips, while Bridesburg seems more isolated and more quiet (almost like a small country town isolated by highways and train tracks). I would like to know what people from the area think about the neighborhoods- even though they seem safe and friendly, are there things I don't see? In my mind I keep comparing them to Jefferson Park (to Richmond) and Portage Park (to Bridesburg) in Chicago, where my aunt lived (I grew up in the Detroit area). What do you thinK?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2010, 05:15 AM

71 posts, read 96,833 times
I'll give you a thorough tour of Bridesburg if you'd like.

Old 04-13-2010, 06:14 AM

596 posts, read 1,706,716 times
I live in Port Richmond and can attest to the fact that its a good place to live. Despite being close to Center City and I-95 its quieter at night which is nice, yet close enough to shopping/entertainment options that you don't think twice about making the trip.

Bridesburg is more cut off geographically due to the distance from the city's heartbeat, which for all practical purposes is Center City. Also in terms of home ownership, Port Richmond is experiencing very positive equity growth. Fishtown, the neighborhood just to the south, has been booming and Port Richmond is beginning to see the effects from first-time buyers who have been priced out of that neighborhood....as well as higher-bracket new construction projects.

Unfortunately the neighborhoods of NE Philly (Bridesburg, Mayfair, Tacony, etc.) are deteriorating as lower-middle income, section 8 housing moves in....priced out of the near Northeast neighborhoods like Fishtown and Port Richmond.

Old 04-13-2010, 09:50 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
I would go with Port Richmond and personally, I think the closer you are to Richmond & Allegheny the more convenient the neighborhood will be for you.

Old 04-13-2010, 11:05 AM

1,623 posts, read 6,527,100 times
If you're a professional making good money, look elsewhere. These areas are not welcoming to outsiders and still on the fringes of bad areas and have bad parts themselves. I can't for the life of me figure out why people stay and I certainly can't understand why anyone would move there from somewhere else. I would check out the rest of the city (and especially the suburbs) to see if you can find anything you like better.

Per Zillow:

Who Lives In Richmond?

People who live in this neighborhood

1. Melting Pot — Low-income, foreign-language-speaking urbanites.
2. Wise Old Urbanites — Older home-owning city dwellers in older buildings.
3. Golden Years — Seniors over 65 who live in the city.

Last edited by orrmobl; 04-13-2010 at 11:14 AM..

Old 04-13-2010, 11:12 AM

1,943 posts, read 6,982,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by orrmobl View Post
I certainly can't understand why anyone would move there from somewhere else.
It's as simple as reading the OP . . . he's Polish and wants to stay connected to the Polish community.

Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 PM

388 posts, read 1,094,810 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
I live in Port Richmond and can attest to the fact that its a good place to live. Despite being close to Center City and I-95 its quieter at night which is nice, yet close enough to shopping/entertainment options that you don't think twice about making the trip.

Bridesburg is more cut off geographically due to the distance from the city's heartbeat, which for all practical purposes is Center City. Also in terms of home ownership, Port Richmond is experiencing very positive equity growth. Fishtown, the neighborhood just to the south, has been booming and Port Richmond is beginning to see the effects from first-time buyers who have been priced out of that neighborhood....as well as higher-bracket new construction projects.

Unfortunately the neighborhoods of NE Philly (Bridesburg, Mayfair, Tacony, etc.) are deteriorating as lower-middle income, section 8 housing moves in....priced out of the near Northeast neighborhoods like Fishtown and Port Richmond.

Public housing destroys good neighborhoods and schools.

Old 04-13-2010, 03:14 PM

244 posts, read 747,501 times
Where do you see Bridesburg deteriorationg? Prices have been stable through the whole downturn in real estate.Bridesburg is part of the river wards with Port Richmond and Fishtown not part of the northeast with Tcaony, Wiss., etc.

Quote:

Old 04-13-2010, 03:24 PM

Quote:

Bridesburg is part of the River Wards, NG, not NE Philly. And there is certainly no section 8 problem here or a decline in home values. It's also much closer to CC than you think. I've already gotten from my front door to a bar stool on South Street in 12 minutes.

Last edited by RW 41; 04-13-2010 at 04:04 PM..

Old 04-13-2010, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by solibs View Post
I would go with Port Richmond and personally, I think the closer you are to Richmond & Allegheny the more convenient the neighborhood will be for you.
He'd be better off in Bridesburg and it's just as convenient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia