Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Philadelphia ever reach over 2,000,000 in population again?
No 71 60.17%
Yes 47 39.83%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 02:52 PM

74 posts, read 107,509 times

Advertisements

I think the idea of 2 million in at least the foreseeable future is a stretch unless there is some solid economic growth, Too often the city's businesses become the seller rather than the buyer. Perhaps if it can attract some significant businesses and also home grow a few it could gain the momentum. Let's shoot for 1.6 million first.
But I love the positive vibes.
I am also bewildered by all of the vitriol thrown at the city. Why all the resentment.
I agree with the posters who say that, other than some obnoxious sports fans( and almost every city has some of those) the citizens are pretty humble, too much so, about the city. Time to get over it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 05:21 PM

36,659 posts, read 67,539,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnutella View Post

Then maybe Los Angeles should shrink its city limits so it, too, can join the 1,000,000/10,000 club with New York, Chicago and Philadelphia.
This is not a real response.

Old 04-17-2012, 05:59 PM

10,078 posts, read 15,861,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You mean this?

Echo Park, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

And this? This looks like condensed suburbia.

Pico / Union, South Union Avenue, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

And this?

Westlake, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

And these are all supposedly in the "core." That would be like Kidphilly posting a link to the densest, most urban parts of Philly and finding the hallmarks of traditional suburbia (lawns, driveways, SFHs) within a few blocks walking distance.
Honestly, all those areas look pretty urban to me... The Echo Park one is a pretty surburban appearing but is still the most dense "suburb" you'll ever see at around 15k ppsm. It is also a 1000 foot walk to this:

Google Maps

and a half mile to this:

Google Maps

To answer the OP question, probably a long way off especially considering that gentrification often lowers the population of neighborhoods. So if Philly is becoming a better and better place to live, chances are some of the household sizes will shrink and offset some of the population growth. But who knows maybe I'm over-emphasizing that phenomena.

Old 04-17-2012, 06:10 PM

37,153 posts, read 39,418,669 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BajanYankee View Post
You mean this?

Echo Park, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

And this? This looks like condensed suburbia.

Pico / Union, South Union Avenue, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

And this?

Westlake, Los Angeles, CA - Google Maps

And these are all supposedly in the "core." That would be like Kidphilly posting a link to the densest, most urban parts of Philly and finding the hallmarks of traditional suburbia (lawns, driveways, SFHs) within a few blocks walking distance.
And in those links you sent, you can walk a block or two and then hit businesses and multi-story apartments (save for that area of Echo Park where the apartments are a bit smaller and the businesses a bit further out).

Old 07-18-2019, 07:18 PM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OyCrumbler View Post
This article is about Los Angeles and its metro overall--and it's agreed that overall/in general/on average Los Angeles is dense sprawl/suburbia.

But again, you're missing from the argument that Los Angeles does have large swathes of very urban area that are more urban traditionally and well-served by mass transit with mixed-use development and high density. And in that large swath, though a small percentage in both area and population of the metro (and the article you cited expressly used percentages for much of its comparison), Los Angeles is larger, denser, and more urban than Philly.

As for the topic, Philly will probably get there. It's population just hit an inflection point so it'll probably continue up. I wonder if it'll be possible for Philly to grow by annexation.
I think if that ever happens, the most likely candidates will be the suburbs immediately west of the city, bordering West Philadelphia, which are all actually quite urban, and are highly democratic with a demographic makeup similar to the city. I don't know what could encourage bordering municipalities to join the city. Maybe prosperous economic conditions or great city services/incentives? Idk.

Anyway, Philly is at 1,590,000 now as of 2019, so I think the addition of Upper Darby, Darby, and Yeadon would make it well over 1,700,000.

Old 07-19-2019, 05:52 AM

10,787 posts, read 8,762,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
I think if that ever happens, the most likely candidates will be the suburbs immediately west of the city, bordering West Philadelphia, which are all actually quite urban, and are highly democratic with a demographic makeup similar to the city. I don't know what could encourage bordering municipalities to join the city. Maybe prosperous economic conditions or great city services/incentives? Idk.

Anyway, Philly is at 1,590,000 now as of 2019, so I think the addition of Upper Darby, Darby, and Yeadon would make it well over 1,700,000.
Not happening wrt incorporating border areas.

You're not even thinking about the insanity of trying to "bring in" into the city a huge school district like UD which right now is bursting at the seams.

Old 07-19-2019, 06:25 AM

752 posts, read 460,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyb01 View Post
Not happening wrt incorporating border areas.

You're not even thinking about the insanity of trying to "bring in" into the city a huge school district like UD which right now is bursting at the seams.
I think per PA Constitution, you can't incorporate across county lines. So now that Philadelphia County and City are one in the same, no more expansion is possible.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:39 AM

9,380 posts, read 9,342,287 times
Philadelphia also has more than enough room to accommodate 2M people within its current boundaries, probably closer to 3M even.

Lets not be like our Southern and Western friends and annex as much land as we can.

Old 07-19-2019, 08:05 AM

2,041 posts, read 1,524,659 times
This got moved from city v city

Old 07-19-2019, 08:08 AM

4,087 posts, read 3,245,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoNgFooCj View Post
This got moved from city v city
Thread needed two or more cities about probably. More like a Philly hitting 2-million or Chicago 3-million again thread for chances and first .... for C v C.

Gentrification doesn't necessarily increase population. If older tows get subdivided in redo's and lost housing areas ne multi-residential infill in a continuing wider area. It could. But it would be a major boom and over how long? Not sure about the level of vacant land available in Philly either? But it could do more conversions of former industrial mills that past polluting and chemicals .... did not blemish the land. Clearly, seems Philly uses them a bit less then some cities. Just opinion where rehabbing rows are king. And 3-story infill in vacant spots between them.

Families were much larger once. Not as much the case for young professionals. They wait longer to have children and less. Then there is the choice of choosing suburbs for their public schools and more yard space. Bot

But never say never. Could Chicago hit 3-million again too? Clearly has the land with lost industry to housing cleared out. But the lots there for future uses. But will take a boom again for Northern Midwest real winter cities and slowing of the migrations South that Corporate America still stills towards.

I'd say Philly's East Coast location helps chances. Also not losing much overall of its African-American population. But that too in greater gentrification could increase. Lots of things falling into place needed and a economy to support it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia