Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Philadelphia ever reach over 2,000,000 in population again?
No 71 60.17%
Yes 47 39.83%
Voters: 118. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2010, 03:13 PM

725 posts, read 1,509,961 times

Advertisements

Yes... eventually... unless America is destroyed. The infrastructure in Philly and it's location will aways warrant demand. Once jobs are created in Philly people will swarm back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2010, 05:48 PM

8,632 posts, read 12,990,645 times
I don't think LAnative10 truly understands the situation.

Old 04-15-2010, 06:06 PM

4,593 posts, read 9,191,133 times
Philly could gain 500,000 more people back if it fixed its public schools and reduce violent crime. There is a similar thread with the population situation for Chicago and a lot of people said the same thing. Chicago had 3.6 million in 1950, now its down to almost 2.9 million. I don't think public schools are the only problem because NYC was able to gain more than 300,000 people since 2000. I don't think NYC public schools are that much superior to Philly schools. I guess NYC is just popular like that, while Philly and Chicago have to work extra harder to attract people.

Old 04-15-2010, 09:13 PM

521 posts, read 1,313,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoland60426 View Post
Philly could gain 500,000 more people back if it fixed its public schools and reduce violent crime. There is a similar thread with the population situation for Chicago and a lot of people said the same thing. Chicago had 3.6 million in 1950, now its down to almost 2.9 million. I don't think public schools are the only problem because NYC was able to gain more than 300,000 people since 2000. I don't think NYC public schools are that much superior to Philly schools. I guess NYC is just popular like that, while Philly and Chicago have to work extra harder to attract people.
Most of NYC's recent gains have come from immigration, and most of the new immigrants are too poor to make too much fuss about the state of public schools in the city...they are just too busy to earn a living, skrimp and save, and send money back home, and work hard and stay out of trouble as much as possible.

That's what happens when your town gentrifies to such a degree that the only major strata of people that live in town are the truly rich and the poor-- the middle class commutes from the 'burbs, having pushed out due to very high property rates (and also concerns of taxes and public schools).

Old 04-15-2010, 10:16 PM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwillyfromphilly View Post
I don't think LAnative10 truly understands the situation.
Sure I do. Im not emotionally involved like you are because this has nothing to do with California or Texas. Therefore I can look at it objectively. You are emotionally involved, so its different.

Old 04-15-2010, 11:55 PM

22,378 posts, read 38,888,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post
Sure I do. Im not emotionally involved like you are because this has nothing to do with California or Texas. Therefore I can look at it objectively. You are emotionally involved, so its different.

Well then a question for you? (because although what I am about to say is 100% true, many will say no)

Would you agree that Philadelphia is bigger in terms of population relative to Dallas? And the area around Philadelphia is more populated than than the Dallas metro? meaning density and space; and yes this puts you into another MSA (NYC) but you have driven less than 25% the distance of Dallas to Ft Worth to do so (You actually never made it out of the Dallas city proper starting from the center) as a comparison to the space and area differance.

Because I have spent a ton of time in both places they arent even close; even as you move away from the city; population disparity actually increases. The Metro DFW area would hold within it's confines NYC and Philly. In fact the distance between Dallas and Ft Worth is 42 miles; 6 miles less than the distance between Philly and NYC.

But I am back to my density and MSA comparison; god I hate the suburbs

Old 04-16-2010, 01:46 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Yes in the long run, by 2040 it certainly will be, because the national population will be adding 70 million more by then. That's what they projected. I can see Philadelphia passing that decades before 2040 too.

Last edited by DANNYY; 04-16-2010 at 02:41 AM..

Old 04-16-2010, 02:35 AM

463 posts, read 1,564,621 times
Probably in the 2020s or 2030s!

Old 04-16-2010, 02:36 AM

436 posts, read 954,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAnative10 View Post

Philly is bigger than Dallas. Always has been, always will be. Location is far superior in the Northeast. If you believe in this country and its long-term outlook, there will be (has to be) a rebirth in the Northeast. We are the center of the nucleus that has driven this country for over 200 years.

The south has already begun to see their decline. Dallas can't even stand on her own stilts to begin with. Why? Because a major city like Philadelphia, even with its decline in population over the past several decades, is still larger in scope compared to Dallas. You need to incorporate Ft. Worth and surrounding areas, along with overlays in distant locales just to complete with the second largest city on the East Coast..

This aspect has been discussed in the thread. Philly stands on its own metro area. It doesn't need a supporter city to boast itself. Having been to both cities, Philly is bigger and has density like few other cities (NYC, Chicago, LA) in this country. Dallas doesn't have that kind of density. It tries to, but simply doesn't. Not even with Ft. Worth nearby.

Having visited Dallas, it's kinda big, but not as big as Philly. Philly is more comparable to NYC, Chicago, and LA than it is to Houston, Dallas, or Detroit.

Old 04-16-2010, 02:46 AM

10,138 posts, read 16,032,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
Philly is bigger than Dallas. Always has been, always will be. Location is far superior in the Northeast. If you believe in this country and its long-term outlook, there will be (has to be) a rebirth in the Northeast. We are the center of the nucleus that has driven this country for over 200 years.

The south has already begun to see their decline. Dallas can't even stand on her own stilts to begin with. Why? Because a major city like Philadelphia, even with its decline in population over the past several decades, is still larger in scope compared to Dallas. You need to incorporate Ft. Worth and surrounding areas, along with overlays in distant locales just to complete with the second largest city on the East Coast..

This aspect has been discussed in the thread. Philly stands on its own metro area. It doesn't need a supporter city to boast itself. Having been to both cities, Philly is bigger and has density like few other cities (NYC, Chicago, LA) in this country. Dallas doesn't have that kind of density. It tries to, but simply doesn't. Not even with Ft. Worth nearby.

Having visited Dallas, it's kinda big, but not as big as Philly. Philly is more comparable to NYC, Chicago, and LA than it is to Houston, Dallas, or Detroit.
^ Just wow...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia