U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Metro Philadelphia - N.J. a Racist Region?
Yes I think so! 44 24.86%
Moderately Racist. 52 29.38%
Maybe a little bit. 44 24.86%
Not at all! 43 24.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2010, 12:33 AM

5,514 posts, read 13,741,595 times

Advertisements

People, do not be afraid to use your mind to make choices, decisions. Only a close minded fool would call someone a racist. Everyone everywhere is a racist, just as much as everyone everywhere breaths oxygen. It is part of life and humanity. We all seem top have to play this game of how well we can sweep it under the rug. Political correctness is the game. You don't have to pretend, its ok.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2010, 03:34 PM

306 posts, read 675,315 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAX_Airport View Post
Hello Forum!

I live in San Diego California where mixed couples are not a big deal! I am a White woman dating a Black man. Should I be worried about raising kids in Metro Philadelphia - New Jersey? Locals from Germantown (PHL) tell me that Philly and the Metro area is changing, but it is not as Tolerant as the West Coast. Please let me know your thoughts, Positive or Negative! Thank You in Advance.
The Northeast should be better than California, as long as you don't go towards the South.

Old 03-25-2010, 08:11 PM

5,713 posts, read 2,214,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
we just had gunshots on christian street today

good enough for you tough guy??
You missed the point of my post.

Try reading the entire thread next time for context.

I never said crime doesnt happen in South Philly. Actually, I alluded to the kid who got killed there last year.

I never said that there aren't very street smart people that live in South Philly. There are. They live all over.

Whatever you think 'gunshots' do for you on Christian street, then so be it. Congratulations.

The point of my post was that I was refuting the previous posters very assured assertion that just "not looking like a victim" is enough to not be a victim. Unfortunately for your ego, he lives in your general area. Therefore, you took offense at my assertion that merely living in that area isn't enough to make someone streetsmart, as evidenced by the previous poster. The rest of my post was dedicated to all the situations in which "not looking like a victim" won't work.

No more and no less.

But if calling me a tough guy makes you feel better about yourself, based on what I said about someones opinion that just happens to live in your neighborhood, then thats cool too. Tough guy or not, I know what I said is more accurate than the "tough guy" opinion that I was refuting.

Old 04-03-2010, 09:44 AM

1 posts, read 1,887 times
As a white guy growing up in Detroit. Pretty much %90 black. I can tell you the racism is slung both ways. And not just bs comments but real abuse so please, spare me with all the nonsense. You have a better chance at happiness in the burbs than a city that is full of nothing but racists from both ends of the spectrum.My wife and I get absolutely no comments nor trouble from white people. None. But we get it all the time from black people. Go figure.

Old 04-06-2010, 06:28 AM

21,916 posts, read 32,091,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waldopeppa View Post
As a white guy growing up in Detroit. Pretty much %90 black. I can tell you the racism is slung both ways. And not just bs comments but real abuse so please, spare me with all the nonsense. You have a better chance at happiness in the burbs than a city that is full of nothing but racists from both ends of the spectrum.My wife and I get absolutely no comments nor trouble from white people. None. But we get it all the time from black people. Go figure.
I'm joining the thread late but that's exactly what I was going to post. Reverse racism (I believe that is the term) is rampant here. I was amazed when I moved here how much hostility/hatred is generated toward whites from a majority of blacks. That coupled with the fact that this isn't exactly an "arms wide open/warm and fuzzy" city to begin with, makes this a difficult place to love as a newcomer.

Old 04-06-2010, 08:17 PM

1,605 posts, read 3,483,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm joining the thread late but that's exactly what I was going to post. Reverse racism (I believe that is the term) is rampant here. I was amazed when I moved here how much hostility/hatred is generated toward whites from a majority of blacks. That coupled with the fact that this isn't exactly an "arms wide open/warm and fuzzy" city to begin with, makes this a difficult place to love as a newcomer.
That isn't reverse racism, that's just racism. Reverse racism would be a hatred of your own race.

Old 04-07-2010, 12:44 AM

219 posts, read 582,141 times
Default Racism in Philly

Growing up in Powelton Village in the 90s, I was largely shielded from the "philly-as-racist" meme- as a matter of fact, the neighborhood reveled in the multicultural idealism of the first families that rebranded the area as Powelton Village- and it had plenty of evidence of its beliefs- the MOVE movement, the fight against Penn and Drexel's gentrification, etc. I went to Powel School, which has the very paradigm of diversity, and I still treasure the experience. There's actually a book by a woman named Elise Funderburg, the daughter of one of the original Poweltonians, about the unique experience of the neighborhood; it's true that in the 60s and 70s when she was growing up, her multiracial parents could not have settled in many other Philadelphia neighborhoods.

On the other end of the spectrum, when my parents moved to Grays Ferry in the late 90s, I was exposed to the worst racism that Philly has had to offer in my lifetime. There was the whole incident with the beating of the black kids, and the Farrakhan march, etc. It was awful. But as the most hardcore racists moved to South jersey, I've noticed many of the other neighbors have adopted a 'can't beat em, then join em' attitude. I see blacks and whites drinking beer in lawn chair on hot summer nights together, something I generally would not have seen 10 years ago. Also, although the black side has certainly shown its share of venom, the thought of having white people as your friend, and not your enemy, has certainly become more popular as of late.

The difference between the racism one would encounter in Grays Ferry, as opposed to some wealthy suburb, is that the former would be more likely to openly share their prejudices, even drop a slur now and again and yet still maintain a number of close friendships with people of another race, send their kids to school with kids of another race, etc. Meanwhile, suburbanites are more likely to subscribe to the gospel of tolerance, and condemn racism in theory, while withdrawing their kids from school the moment it gets more than, say 5% black kids. Both types of racism are wrong, certainly, but the honesty of the former is preferrable for me.

Old 04-11-2010, 08:39 PM

71 posts, read 75,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by golgi1 View Post
Ha.

You have no idea.

And BTW, your New York cred means nothing to those of us who have been listening to New Yorkers boast about where they are from for their entire lives, only to have very little to back it up, in terms of street smarts and toughness, about 90% of the time.

Living in center city/south philly does not make you street smart. Tell me about your ability not to get victimized in North Philly (where I was robbed twice) or in deep Southwest Philly, over a period of time, and maybe I'll give you some street cred. Your so called street smarts, without taking the precautions that I mentioned in my previous post, would mean nothing there.

You boasting about what you would and wouldn't do, in certain situations, is completely meaningless without context. What time of day/night? What neighborhood? Whats your gut feeling? Do you see any possible accomplices on the street that are waiting to set a trap for you? Continuing with your method in some of those situations, would indeed, cause you to be a victim. If you've never encountered them, then you live a sheltered life in philly relative to those of us who are forced to travel in worse neighborhoods at times.

My girlfriend has family in those bad neighborhoods, and not only do I travel there, but I socilaize there. So don't tell me about being nervous and not talking to anyone. I've traveled and frequented some of the worst areas of Philly, which are the worst in the country, my entire life.

I'm completely unimpressed with your center city/south philly savvy.

But in the context of that location, do you think that kid who got killed in the Italian market last year, for his ipod, was victimized because he lacked your level of "street smarts"? Maybe he could have just "not looked like a victim" and the guy with the pistol, intent on the kids valuables(in a 'decent' south philly neighborhood, btw) would have left him alone? I doubt it. When you meet a true killer, or competent robbers working in collusion, your confident demeanor will do little to disuade him/them. Only evasion will.

Knowing when to employ what type of survival skill is what being street smart is all about. Your professed cool confidence is mastered by any 10 year old Philadelphian who has grown up in the city, including myself. If you think thats all you need, then you just aren't experienced with the level of unexpected danger that I'm referring to, and your Street smarts are missing a huge component. Statistically, you can live a long time in center city without encountering danger. Statistically, you cannot travel in North Philly for any period of time WITHOUT encountering it.

Don't worry though, its completely common for center city residents to think that they successfully brave, and can handle, the worst of the urban jungle.

But to the rest of us, you just sound sheltered.
Well said!

Old 04-11-2010, 08:44 PM

71 posts, read 75,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
Black racists tend to physically act on their hate much more than white racists. White racists are more apt to just avoid minorities.

Old 07-23-2010, 08:53 PM

58 posts, read 343,328 times
I'm still here.....! Have a nice summer in Philadelphia! The MontCo pool closed down (good!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or