U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Metro Philadelphia - N.J. a Racist Region?
Yes I think so! 44 24.86%
Moderately Racist. 52 29.38%
Maybe a little bit. 44 24.86%
Not at all! 43 24.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2010, 11:30 PM

58 posts, read 343,328 times

Advertisements

I found this on Philly.com today
Posted on Wed, Nov. 10, 2010 (not 1910......2010)

Suit claims McFadden’s bar didn’t want black patrons

By JASON NARK
Philadelphia Daily News

narkj@phillynews.com

Patrons can't wear "excessively baggy" clothes, hats or work boots at McFadden's Restaurant and Saloon, on 3rd Street near Willow, in Old City. Chains and pendants have to be tucked in, just not inside plain, white T-shirts, hooded sweatshirts or athletic jerseys.

According to a class-action civil-rights lawsuit filed Wednesday in U.S. District Court in Philadelphia, the bar's general manager was even more blunt than the dress code recently.

"We don't want black people we are a white bar!" the bar's general manager, Walt Wyrsta, allegedly texted to another manager Oct. 28.

The lawsuit, filed on behalf of bartender Michael L. Bolden, claims that McFadden's and its parent company, East Coast Saloons, have created a culture where "racism and racial segregation are not only tolerated, but mandated."

Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-11-2010 at 06:28 AM.. Reason: Due to copyright issues, full articles cannot be reprinted. Better to leave a link after a "teaser" of a few sentences.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 12:54 AM

13,348 posts, read 18,627,137 times
How many bars are there in Philadelphia?

Old 11-11-2010, 06:01 AM

398 posts, read 606,518 times
The whole country is racist. Ironically some of the places where blacks have historically been more spread out (like North Carolina) have better race relations than places like Philadelphia where blacks were always concentrated in the urbanized areas of the city. Philadelphia has a lot of racial issues, that's for sure. I never had a white person use the N word with me in North Carolina or Virginia, but in the Philly region, I've heard it used a LOT. Even had one guy tell me 2 minutes after meeting me to "stay east of 295 in Cherry Hill, the n***er animals are slowly taking over the west side of town".

Old 11-12-2010, 06:38 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
Cali is the most racist state i've visited (i'm brown skinned)

not that PA is clean. the farthest west i've traveled in PA is Manyunk or whatever

Last edited by john_starks; 11-12-2010 at 07:03 PM..

Old 11-14-2010, 12:36 PM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
I'm joining the thread late but that's exactly what I was going to post. Reverse racism (I believe that is the term) is rampant here. I was amazed when I moved here how much hostility/hatred is generated toward whites from a majority of blacks. That coupled with the fact that this isn't exactly an "arms wide open/warm and fuzzy" city to begin with, makes this a difficult place to love as a newcomer.
What he said! There is no love lost on either side but AAs seem to be much more prejudiced then whites here and I would have expected the opposite in a place that experienced so much "white flight" (whites displaced from their traditional neighborhoods) AAs also seem to hate other minorities even more then whites.

Old 11-17-2010, 06:14 PM

1 posts, read 1,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckPA View Post
I wouldn't think they are considered a second class citizen in Philadelphia,especially being that 'the brothas are runnin the city' some are saying. The mayor is black and the majority of the good paying city jobs are held by blacks.

I also wouldn't say they all necessarily think the blacks are uneducated and poor,we have plenty of whites(or at least white trash) that seem to be uneducated and poor. The crime maybe though,if one would turn on the tv news any night of the week you would see most of the reports from the same neighborhoods all the time. That would kind of set a pattern of sorts in ones mind.
In my experience, uneducated and poor white people are the most racist...I've seen blatant racism in Delaware County, and not just against black people...against anyone who seemingly isn't poor white.

Last edited by FindingZen; 11-17-2010 at 08:07 PM.. Reason: your choice of phrase is not appropriate for this forum

Old 11-17-2010, 06:26 PM

16,392 posts, read 21,381,379 times
You base your judgement of the entire Philadelphia Metro and South Jersey on the dress code of one bar. It's Old City, it's YUPPIE, they don't want anyone, white, black, yellow or red, with a gangsta look. I grew up in North Philly, white, I've been snobbed by Yuppies the entire premis is silly

Old 11-21-2010, 02:08 AM

81 posts, read 150,409 times
Yes.

Old 11-25-2010, 03:52 PM

15 posts, read 29,315 times
Being an Asian American New Yorker and considering a move to Philly, I read this entire four year long thread with interest. Having grown up poor living in government housing projects (Lower East Side) for the first quarter century, then through middle class rentals (Flushing, Queens) for the next, I'm ready to buy a first home in the next year or two, and had found Philly's prices very attractive. I'm well aware that racism exists everywhere and I'm certainly not looking to change anyone's mind about anything; I'm just looking for a nice quiet safe place to raise my non mixed Chinese family. So with that in mind, where in Philly is the most Asian intolerant communities (so I know to avoid them), and or where do most Philly Asians (particularly Chinese) seem to choose to settle?

And thanks to all for a very informative discussion!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:03 AM

3,391 posts, read 7,737,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphrepo View Post
Being an Asian American New Yorker and considering a move to Philly, ................and or where do most Philly Asians (particularly Chinese) seem to choose to settle?

And thanks to all for a very informative discussion!
This thread is so old that most people are ignoring it so you would be better off starting your own thread from scratch to get a response. I can't answer your question myself, sorry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or