U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Metro Philadelphia - N.J. a Racist Region?
Yes I think so! 44 24.86%
Moderately Racist. 52 29.38%
Maybe a little bit. 44 24.86%
Not at all! 43 24.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 09:23 AM

44 posts, read 267,786 times

Advertisements

I think when it comes to racism you will find ignorant people everywhere, I am just amazed that in this day and age it still exists, it breaks my heart. Good luck in your search!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2006, 04:10 AM

127 posts, read 351,752 times
I grew up in the area. Yes there were hostilities between black and white when I grew up in the Philly area. The way I see it now is that blacks in the south followed more of a Martin Luther King attitude toward race relations and blacks in the north followed a more Malcom X attitude race relations. I hope that helps!

Old 10-24-2006, 09:53 AM

4 posts, read 14,472 times
That's funny... when we RV'd across country... out west, (outside of cities) I wondered where all of the African Americans were? It was really weird for me... I couldn't wait to get back to my "City of Brotherly Love" :-)

I unfortunately did not visit San Diego... I now hope to visit some day! I was in San Fran... it seemed to be a very diverse city :-)

Last edited by miss.pigeon; 10-24-2006 at 09:53 AM.. Reason: typo

Old 10-30-2006, 04:07 PM

10 posts, read 24,289 times
In the city there is really not a problem with racism. But there are segregated neighborhoods in Philadelphia where the different races have their "own" streets and areas. The farther you go from the city, the less accepted you would be as the wealthier areas have uptight close minded people who have a hard time accepting this kind of situation. Good luck, but if you are looking for more accepotence it sounds weird, but go south like Charlotte where there is a lot more acceptence.

Old 11-12-2006, 12:19 PM

5 posts, read 28,462 times
Having moved to Philadelphia from New York city I will say that Philly is one of the most racest areas that I have EVER lived in. In New York no one could care less what color your skin is, in Philly every single white person I met on my street after I moved in commented to me about what a safe street it was and that the black, hispanic, and chinese people (who lived two blocks away in an unsafe area) stayed away from our street. I would NEVER consider raising a child in this city and am in the process of trying to move away from Philly now.

Old 12-01-2006, 01:13 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
I live in CC philadelphia and boy is it racist. If you are a black man, white women will openly look the other way as not to acknowledge your prescence. I was called the F*%&ing N word yesterday as i ran around town doing errands on my job by a white woman.
There are many who claim not to be racist but Philly is segregated into racial neighborhoods--if they are not racist why live in racially divided neighborhoods. I grew up in the south and Philly is as racist as Mississippi or Alabama--and not just subtly so.

the wealthier areas of Chestnut Hill, Mt Airy are the least racist of them all, with Mt Airy being a place where integration works. But CC, Roxburough, Northeast, south philly, southwest and North Philly are very racist. Segregation is racism, but the whites and many of the blacks believe that liberal racism is cool here.

last year an interracial couple had a cross burned in their yard in philly and it is scary after dark here.

Philadelphia area, Pennsylvania and NJ have some of the largest amounts of Hate crimes according to the Southern Poverty Law Centers Hate Crimes watch. www.splc.org more than SC or many southern places.

After the Idaho group of Aryan Nations was sued, the group chose the state of Pa as its new White Homeland, thats how scary this area is. and one of the founders and most notorious Aryan Nation Leaders, Tom Martinez, is from right here in Port Richmond.

Sleepy2 must not live in Society Hill (it has a large jewish population and is very open to IR couples as philly goes) lots of multiracial families there too

Last edited by Yac; 02-06-2007 at 09:25 AM..

Old 12-01-2006, 04:29 PM

4,910 posts, read 12,771,485 times
The racism in Philadelphia has more to do with class not skin color. In middle class neighborhoods like Mt Airy ,Roxborough where everyone is equal there isn't much racism. In Rittenhouse Square where the white and black homeless cross paths with the multi millionaires you bet there is racism, plenty of it.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:31 AM

totally and in the poor and working class neigbhorhoods of SW, South philly, Northeast and port richmond areas where race is a major factor--no crossburnings happening to IR couples in Rittenhouse but they did have it last year in south philly.

more about race than class there where the classes are working class, lots of hate and racism there.

Old 12-18-2006, 02:57 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,393,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by krohnkiller View Post
if you are looking for more accepotence it sounds weird, but go south like Charlotte where there is a lot more acceptence.
Charlotte? They must be getting diluted with people coming from all over,being as I've heard for years that Charlotte is an 'up and coming' area. But when I lived in southwest Virginia and also visited the outskirts of Greensboro,there were alot of people who still had an issue with dating outside your race.

Old 12-20-2006, 09:03 AM

yes, because those are rural areas of VA and NC, if you go to North Central and Western PA you will have the same problems with IR relationships. Same in other Northeastern rural areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or