U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Metro Philadelphia - N.J. a Racist Region?
Yes I think so! 44 24.86%
Moderately Racist. 52 29.38%
Maybe a little bit. 44 24.86%
Not at all! 43 24.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2007, 09:26 PM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeidiaz View Post
Oh - to address this... The problem with talking to my family is because most of them have this certain mindset about other cultures. In my family - some of them think you can't be friends with white people - I mean TRULY friends with white people b/c they always have some other motive.

OF COURSE THIS IS B.S. One of my very best friends is white! I don't know if being in philly has something to do with that or not, but it helps to talk to other people who have their own opinions about the city.
I hear you (or read you, rather ). I do think that LA (and California in general) has a overall reputation of racial tolerance if not harmony, the occasional South Central flare-ups notwithstanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2007, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaeidiaz View Post
THAT'S SAD. The best way to spark a change in the city is to stick around to help see those changes through.

If other black people in the city see that YOU CAN make it and not be a thug - they would strive for more. They wouldn't put up with the crime rate b/c it wouldn't be acceptable.

One thing about L.A. is that - you can't get away with a lot of ISH b/c the people in the areas just won't tolerate it.

I LOVE philly. I will always be a philly girl til I die. I just wish our people would see that there is more out there for them and they don't have to move to see it.
My old boss from a couple jobs ago is a financial controller. He could probably live in an upscale community in or out of the city limits but he chooses to stay in West Philly. Besides the fact that he has the mental and physical tools to protect himself, I believe he also sees himself as an inspiration to younger kids in his neighborhood. However, he is a single man. I could see how he would have tougher choices to make if he had a family.

My Dad and step-mom used to live on a block in the West Oak Lane section whose residents were very active with and protective of each other. Unfortunately, that couldn't be said of surrounding blocks that were sometimes in more of a questionable condition.

It would be nice if Philly were able to develop more of a critical mass of middle-class of all races to help lift the city up. The conundrum of high wage and business taxes, questionably sufficient (or efficient) school funding and the advent of suburban/exurban employment centers is a challenge that the city has yet to meet. Hopefully incoming Mayor Nutter will have some fresh ideas.

Old 12-06-2007, 11:48 PM

32 posts, read 96,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
My old boss from a couple jobs ago is a financial controller. He could probably live in an upscale community in or out of the city limits but he chooses to stay in West Philly. Besides the fact that he has the mental and physical tools to protect himself, I believe he also sees himself as an inspiration to younger kids in his neighborhood. However, he is a single man. I could see how he would have tougher choices to make if he had a family.

My Dad and step-mom used to live on a block in the West Oak Lane section whose residents were very active with and protective of each other. Unfortunately, that couldn't be said of surrounding blocks that were sometimes in more of a questionable condition.

It would be nice if Philly were able to develop more of a critical mass of middle-class of all races to help lift the city up. The conundrum of high wage and business taxes, questionably sufficient (or efficient) school funding and the advent of suburban/exurban employment centers is a challenge that the city has yet to meet. Hopefully incoming Mayor Nutter will have some fresh ideas.
I like how you speak.

If only more people could be like your old boss...I guess it takes a village - haha

Old 12-06-2007, 11:51 PM

32 posts, read 96,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tone509 View Post
In terms of the workforce and after-hours socializing, Center City is about as diverse as it gets. If you're looking to start a family and want to remain in the city, I'd strongly recommend West Mount Airy for its diversity, as I mentioned earlier. It's unfortunate that this area isn't more integrated - the vast majority of city residents, save the Northeast, are united with their Democratic votes - but sadly it's not a unique phenomenon with cities big and small.
Thanks for the advice. I really appreciate your input

Old 12-07-2007, 07:00 AM

You're welcome, jaeidiaz. Glad to help!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:19 PM

58 posts, read 169,018 times
Default Orlando vs. this, confused?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adream View Post
The closer to Philadelphia (urban center) you are the more tolerance you will find.

I live in far Southern New Jersey now (moved here from Philly area) and we had friends here that are a mixed race couple. (She is white, he is black).

They had to move away, to Orlando Florida, because of the harrassment he received here. He is a nice, hard working family man, and he would get pulled over for nothing other than being a black man driving a Lincoln Continental, as occured in one instance. (His car was in the shop, his FIL lent him the Lincoln to go to work and the police assumed he stole it). His wife had to come get him out of jail more than once just because they didn't believe him.

Many of the other parents in the school our children attended together would whisper about the "woman married to the black guy." We were horrified at such words, I made that plain. It was downright awful!

We were sad to see them go, they are a nice couple and their two beautiful daughters were friends with our youngest daughter. It was a shame, but we understood why they needed a different life. Happily, it turned out to be a wonderful move for them, and this harrassment is no longer a part of their lives in their new home.

Cross Southern NJ off your list, stay near Philadelphia - a more worldly, cultured and sophisticated mentality, and you'll be fine. (I guess Orlando, FL would be good, too). Best of luck to you!
I'm actually a TINY bit confused, but it may be that I've been living in Florida for too long. With exception for the Lincoln car and being arrested, if you're in an interracial relationship, this really doesn't sound all that abnormal to me. But then again, I don't live in South Jersey. My overall sense from these replies is there is segregation, which you find in many large and small cities. My guess is any racism in Philly and South Jersey comes from hate and fear directed at minorities for causing a sky-high crime rate.

But if they came to Orlando to escape the racism, I would say overall, that probably is better. I know on the side and area of town I stay on, I'm very fortunate because its actually diverse. I'm right down the street from the university and there seem to be working class people of all races in this area. It might be though a little different in the suburb down the street. And I've also had quite a few roommates who have been WAAAAY
to quiet and oblivious of my presence. However, I think any city has that factor of as soon as you get far from the city into far-reaching or countryside suburbs, you find less diversity and more intolerance. Orlando actually was a pretty small town till it boomed in the last 2 decades. So, it has its parts where you just know as a minority like myself, being black, you expect some whites to stare a little too long or just be randomly rude. However, in the Kissimmee area right next to Disney, there are people from all over the world that work at Disney and the amusement parks. Overall, Orlando, like Florida's other cities is pretty diverse, and probably the most diverse southern state. Only problem: anti-Latino sentiment may be brewing. I have to admit I've had it at times myself just because latinos seem to more and more be dominating Orlando and in some places you are the foreigner and outcast if you speak English.

Shocked to find out though racism can be prevalent in Northeastern areas.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:41 PM

6,967 posts, read 18,558,445 times
yeah racism is all over the country. try being a minority in an manhattan irish bar at 1 am.

that said, being south asian.... i'll still take my chances up here thanks.

Old 05-08-2009, 10:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,961 times
Default Who Cares

Who cares might sum up a lot about Philadelphia. I don't get the perception that anyone will particularly be interested if you are a mixed race couple. You will experience no degree of acceptance, or non acceptance. There are pockets of high levels of diversity in Philadelphia: Center City, Queens Village creeping towards South Philadelphia, and Manayunk, Mount Airy, (should we include upscale Chestnut Hill where $ is the gate keeper?) And there are pockets of isolation and a few places where believe it or not you will see a Confederate flag fly on occasion: Bridesburg. Add to that that most of the city is not integrated house by house, or by neighborhood. The North East is majority white, and North, and West, are majority black. So, racism survives in Philadelphia, but Philadelphia is far more liberal than San Diego at least in politics, and you will not likely to experience any open hostility at all. I don't know what San Diego is like, but if you have seen the movie Crash, and accept that picture of race relations, I can assure you Philadelphia is nothing like that. If people do harbor bigotry within them here in Philadelphia, they won't display it, and they certainly will not let it guide their actions, or cause them to be openly hostile to anyone.

Old 05-08-2009, 01:55 PM

1,623 posts, read 5,965,113 times
Bridesburg anyone? Racism is alive and well in this area - I know because some of my friends and relatives are racists. They aren't the violent types but more the two-faced type that will say things in private but be all grins in public - doesn't make them any less racist in my opinion.

Old 05-09-2009, 08:01 AM

31,372 posts, read 32,921,110 times
Come to Cheltenham Township, diversity and racial harmony is totally out of control! Seriously this little patch of south eastern Montgomery County is one of the nicest areas of the U.S. that I have ever lived in that that's a lot of places.

Just stay out of Bridesburg, Fishtown and parts of South Philly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or