U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Metro Philadelphia - N.J. a Racist Region?
Yes I think so! 44 24.86%
Moderately Racist. 52 29.38%
Maybe a little bit. 44 24.86%
Not at all! 43 24.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 177. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-11-2009, 12:20 PM

1,322 posts, read 3,768,670 times

Advertisements

i really think that racism, whether it is outspoken or kept inside, exists EVERYWHERE. east coast, west coast, where ever. its here...its there...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2009, 01:45 PM

3,042 posts, read 8,202,159 times
Data from the Southern Poverty Law Center's Hatewatch finds Eastern and Southeast PA and South Jersey having a large hate crimes and hate groups. perhaps it is do to the working class nature of the area and people are not raised to be kind or caring for others, i dont know

check out SPLC.org

Old 05-13-2009, 07:53 AM

25 posts, read 54,855 times
To ask a different question - are there parts of MontCo that people would consider racist? I worked in Ambler for 6 months and I found it to be a very diverse and open town (of course, that was almost 15 years ago), and I've heard good things about North Wales and Landsdale. Can that also be said about places like East Norriton, Blue Bell, Abington and Plymouth Meeting?

Old 05-13-2009, 09:25 AM

8,048 posts, read 18,469,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvidGamer View Post
To ask a different question - are there parts of MontCo that people would consider racist? I worked in Ambler for 6 months and I found it to be a very diverse and open town (of course, that was almost 15 years ago), and I've heard good things about North Wales and Landsdale. Can that also be said about places like East Norriton, Blue Bell, Abington and Plymouth Meeting?
Speaking from personal experience, I would say that Abington is definitely diverse and is as open as its ever been. There may still be some minor pushback from lower-middle class communities but nothing that would paint a broad brush over the town. I can't speak to East Norriton but I believe the both Blue Bell and Plymouth Meeting would be equally welcoming.

Old 05-13-2009, 11:40 AM

25 posts, read 54,855 times
Thanks, Tone.

Old 05-31-2009, 09:30 AM

7 posts, read 15,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeepy2 View Post
I live in the 'burbs, around 3 miles outside the city. There are mixed race coubles on my block, nobody cares.

I work in all neighborhoods of the city and mixed race couples are not uncommon anywhere (except maybe Society Hill).

What town do you live in? What are the taxes like? I am considering moving to south jersey from north jersey and I am looking for a town like this.

Old 05-31-2009, 01:33 PM

5 posts, read 13,250 times
Default Working Class=Racist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinajack View Post
Data from the Southern Poverty Law Center's Hatewatch finds Eastern and Southeast PA and South Jersey having a large hate crimes and hate groups. perhaps it is do to the working class nature of the area and people are not raised to be kind or caring for others, i dont know

check out SPLC.org
So you are speculating that being raised in the "working class" means that you are not raised to be kind and caring for others?

Really? I was raised in the working class and my neighbors and friends were very caring and kind. I grew up in a very diverse area as well and generally found that there were/are kind and caring people of all races and ethnicities (who all happened to work and have class)! What exactly are you assuming? I didn't realize being in the leisure class led a person to be more kind and caring.

Old 10-17-2009, 06:26 PM

1 posts, read 2,749 times
Default new york is not always what it seems!!!

people say places like philly,new jersey is racist,but i say everywhere you have ignorant(sorry for my spelling)uneducated people who have no education of other cultures,and so quickly to make judgements of people.but i just wanna say that when i visit places like new jersey,delaware,and philly i feel accepted by the whites.now new york, everyone says how racism don't exist there but it does.it seems like white people have no respect for you if you are black or any other non-white race, but then again i could be wrong it could be a new york thing where people have no respect for each other. just sad.

Old 10-18-2009, 12:09 AM

1,030 posts, read 3,061,428 times
I really can't speak for Jersey so much, but I can tell you that yes, there is a quiet racism in Philadelphia. Whereas, in the south, I've seen people throw the n word around like nobody's business, you won't find it in Philadelphia.

I've snuck into a few Philadelphia cliques either through work, or at an ethnic bar, or living in a homogenous neighborhood like Fishtown, and it is present. It took me about 8 months working at my job until they felt they knew me enough to start throwing around the n word. I finally found out from a local in Fishtown (drunk,) one night, that they don't talk to black people in their neighborhood. I also was around some South Philly people who were pretty damned racist once they got drunk.

It goes the other way too. Having a ton of black friends, I've been in cliques, or parties, or bars in West and North Philly, and I could cut through their racism with a knife it was so prominent in the air. I got damned close to being beat up/jumped.

It is present all over Philly, and the suburbs, but it is a repressed, quiet racism, and If I didn't analyze it I might have missed it. At first, it seems like everything is Kosher, but once you dig deeper, it is there. It's just not as forward as you'll see in the south, where they'll use the n word as easily as they'd say the word "pie."

I think, though, it is everywhere, to some extent, it's either well repressed, and shielded, or it's plain, blatant, out in the open hate.

Over all, if I was a minority (I am technically Hispanic, but 100% European,) the Philadelphia area WOULD be a preferable place to live. You won't be bashed, but you could be excluded from certain social circles, which you probably would anyway, being that Philly is very closed circle to begin with in most of the parochial neighborhoods outside CC, UC, and Old City.

One thing I would remind you: The city of Philadelphia IS a very black city, so being black would make you a plurality in the city, and NOT a minority. This ain't Salt Lake City

Old 10-18-2009, 06:08 AM

6,183 posts, read 5,149,046 times
It's not like Dixie but yea there is some intolerance in Philly. You'll probably find more in parts of SoJers but Philly has a lot of biggots (white on black and vice-versa).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Philadelphia
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or